Rev Flutter at -5

bl_1969

Roads? We Dont Need Roads!!!!
Reaction score
Hi All!

Need a bit of your expert experience and knowledge.... Please....

It is very cold here, tho it has been colder (-12 last month), it is -5 today and last night and on start up of the car it turns over fine, then the revs flutter big style, put it in to reverse out of work car park space and I need to give it plenty of ACC peddle to get it to reverse or go forward, after about 30 to 40 seconds there is no flutter and the car is fine and idel is good. If I turn off the engine then back on there is no flutter.

Not happened in the past when it was colder or ever before for that matter.

Just had full service and extras.... new battery, Haldex oil and filter, cam belt was done last year, one coil pack replaced last year. Oil and filter done, levels are ok including collant. Cant think of anything else really. Turbo kicks in when it should.. everything is fine bar the flutter last two nights.

When I start the car up from my garage in the morning it does not have any probs. Just when it has been outside and not been driven for the 8 or so hours when I am at work... and as I say, only the last two days.

Any ideas lads?

I am driving it back to UK next month (12th) for MOT, stage 2 revo and possibly susspension or brake upgrade. I am in Czech Republic so it's a bit of a drive (Autobahn here I come :icon_thumright:) but I dont want to use my AA membership on the way back:o.k:

Please help....
Cheers Cheers
Barry

Happened again in the cold today when it was parked up for 4 or 5 hours. Forgot to mention.... it had new spark plugs fitted during the service.

Any takers on possible cause?

Would hate to take it in to a stealers out here, they say nothing is wrong and charge me a stack of candy for that privilege.

Cheers
Barry

Yeh I would say get that changed.

My car was used in -15c last sunday and was fine but when I left it at work one time for a day in the cold temperatures it was the stereo that didnt like it lol

Cheers Guys!

Just the info I needed. Will do a search for temp sensor change and if I dont think I can do it I will get it done at a garage.

Today the driver window is not going down all the way, goes down about three quarters... then just washed it and noticed somebody has ding'ed the left back quarter panel and it must have been a high motor with big doors in a car park!

3 weeks ago the right one got ding'ed! I was in the motor when a teenager done it.... as per.... no speakingzy English so had to get in the motor and swear a lot at the windscreen.

Pure gutted, thinking this motor is jinxed recently and needing punted! And here was me about to get a stage 2 and suspension. :sob:

Done a search and seems to be a common problem with the temp sensor.

Anybody got any instructions on how to change it? I cant find any on here, just that it is a known issue with numerous threads.

I even last night had a wee scrape at the two prongs in the coolant tank but to be honest there was no crud build up on them so I don't think it will make much difference. Snowing heavy today and seemingly we are to get to -15 this week :-( Aghhhhhh!

Will see how the motor is tonight when I start it up after work but I reckon I will get flutter again.

Cheers guys.

Who is the man????? You is the man Jester! :thumbsup:

Thanks for that, looks like a sinch to do. I will have a wee look in the engine to see if it the same as that was for a 1.8 Jetta but I get the jist. Looks like something I am capable of hehehe :arco:

Cheers Again!
Barry