Buxton GP Weekend 26th/27th April 2003

AL_B

Reaction score
Buxton “GP” Weekend 2003

Time has come for traditional and annual Audi-Sport.net Buxton meet, here are the details…

Date: 26th/27th April 2003

Hotels / Links:

There aren’t any really flash hotels close to Buxton, so most people usually stay in the Old Hall, or in one of B&B’s close by.

www.oldhallhotelbuxton.co.uk
www.smoothhound.co.uk/buxton.html
www.buxtonuk.com
www.buxtononline.net
www.cressbrook.co.uk/buxton.htm

When selecting a hotel, select ones either along the "Broad Walk" or "Burlington Road", those are only a 5 minute walk (or stumble) to the Old Hall and the centre of Buxton.

Format…

<<< ignore >>>>
Friday 25th

In previous years some people have arrived on Friday evening, to make a full weekend of it.
So people arriving on the Friday night, we will meet up in the hotel bar of the Old Hall hotel, from say 9:00pm onwards.

Please let me know if you intend arrive on the Friday or not.
<<< ignore end. Not enough interest in Friday night stay >>>

Saturday 26th

For those arriving Friday, I’m open to suggestions for things to do on Saturday. Possibilities…

<ul type="square">
[*] Shopping / general lazy day in Buxton
[*] Small drive and a bit of walking
[*] Alton Towers
[*] Visit to David Suttons Historic Motorsport at Daventry
[/list]

I will be going on the Historic Motorsport visit, its an event organised by Daniela Unwin of Club Audi / TT-Forum. I’m sure she won’t mind if some of us attend. This place has some of the famous Audi Rally cars. http://www.davidsuttoncars.com/

Saturday Evening

Curry and Beers

I suggest we all meet up at the Old Hall hotel, between 6:00pm and 7:00pm. Once a firm idea of how many people are attending this meeting, I will book us a table at the Taj Mahal resturaunt in Buxton. The staff there recognise us every year, provide friendly service and decent food.

Sunday 27th

The bit people travel hundreds of miles for, the Buxton drive. We will either do the same route as previous years or if I get my act together, I may plan a new route.

The drive will start at 10:00am, meeting at the Old Hall hotel in the centre of Buxton. It has to be an early start as traffic can start to become annoying even at this time in a morning.

If you intend to just join us for the drive on the Sunday, please let me know, and try to get here for 9:30am. Then we can set off on time.

Final notes
If you'd like to come along,

<ul type="square">[*] reply to this post registering your interest
[*] tell me what days/nights you are attending
[*] book yourself into a hotel of your choice
[*] let me know which hotel you are booked into, and PM me your mobile number
[/list]

If you like driving, in great scenery, you have just got to come along!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Cheers

AL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Sounds cool, will have a look at work commitments around this time and get back to you, may just have to come over for the Sunday but will see what I can do!

If I come it will make me get the rear bumper fixed too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Should be a good one, will be then on the Sunday for definate unless something major occurs!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

Ok. I'll probably wait until after next weeks meet to see where other folk are staying and take it from there.

I am up for this! Probably drive up late Friday - how long do you reckon it'll take from Windsor??

JPR - we sharing cars or taking both !?

Take both I reckon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Al, you do realise Daventry is South of Birmingham? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I'll be there. I might only be able to make it down for the drive but I'll try and be there for the curry on Saturday night. Look forward to it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

Christian

[ QUOTE ]
JPR said:
Al, you do realise Daventry is South of Birmingham? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just looked on a map, didn't realise it was that far down! Can't believe Daniela has organised it for that weekend - really wanted to visit that place. Looks like its walking/shopping in and around Buxton then.

AL

[ QUOTE ]
audi girl said:
I am up for this! Probably drive up late Friday - how long do you reckon it'll take from Windsor??

JPR - we sharing cars or taking both !?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on traffic it will take you about 2:30 - 3:00 from Windsor, averaging about 85-90 KPH. I come from Macclesfield which is the next town to Buxton and that normally takes me 2:00 - 2:30

Cheers,

Jon.

Oh!

Forgot to mention that i will be coming /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just need a ride for the GP because i won't stand a chance keeping up in the Cabrio /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hopefully won't get called back to work this time either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Might lose my phone or something.

Jon.

[ QUOTE ]
AL B said:
[ QUOTE ]
JPR said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you Organise an audi-sport visit then instead? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Just looked on a map, didn't realise it was that far down! Can't believe Daniela has organised it for that weekend - really wanted to visit that place. Looks like its walking/shopping in and around Buxton then.

AL

[/ QUOTE ]

You said that last time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Think you were tucked up in bed when I rang you at 9:00am Sunday morning! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

AL

[ QUOTE ]
AL B said:
You said that last time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Think you were tucked up in bed when I rang you at 9:00am Sunday morning! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

AL

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a bit of an overhang last year... this will be sorted in advance this time, on Saturday night will be a Tennents LA night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Al, I'll be coming down on Saturday with a mate. Should arrive in the afternoon sometime. On Saturday we didn't seem to get any nearer to arranging a place to stay did we?

Anyone know how much we can get off the Old Hall rate? I'm not particularly fussed where, so long as it's nice enough, since it' only really for kippin' Saturday night.

There's a nice hotel in Ashford in the Water (one of the most beautiful vilages in the Peaks quite close to Buxton) called the Riverside - high quality but if you can afford an S3 you can pay £95 a night for a single.

For Buxton hotels go to http://www.travel-hotels-england.co.uk/derbyshire-hotels/buxton-hotels-1.htm

I wouldn't recommend the Palace. We used the place for an event and it smelt nasty.

Also, an idea for a visit, you could try the Motor Museum at Donington. Approx an hour from Buxton I guess. If you haven't been there I think you will be shocked - and amazed - by what they have.

http://www.doningtoncollection.com

Before I book somewhere stay, how many people are coming on the Friday?

If there isn't anyone else going on the Friday, then I won't. If I'm only staying one night, I may stay at the Old Hall rather than a B&amp;B.

Cheers

AL

Al, I'll be coming down Saturday with a mate, aiming to be there shortly after lunchtime.

I'm happy with the Old Hall, but it would be nice if we could get a discount for several bookings.

David (and anyone else travelling down from Scotland), if you're going down Saturday, give me a shout and we can meet up.

Work commits will preclude me from getting there at a reasonable hour on friday, BUT, if there is sufficient interest and something interesting to do on the sat, i'll make it a late one!

Otherwise I'll meet up with Mark and use him as a mobile radar deflector /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif on saturday. Remember to leave early to get the sauce in....

Right people. I've finally managed to book into a hotel.

I'm booked into the Buckingham Hotel for the Saturday night. I'm not bothering with the Friday night, due to lack of interest.

The Buckingham is a little further to walk to the centre but has reasonable parking. The guy said their are 2 or 3 rooms left.

Other places which I called:

Grosvenor House, Broad Walk, (0)1298 72439. 3 rooms available. On street parking only.

Roseleigh Hotel, Broad Walk, (0)1298 24904. 1 room available. Off street parking.

Other hotels/B&amp;B's close to centre:

Old Hall Hotel, The Square, (0)1298 22841 - not easy to park here, but very central.

Westminster Hotel, Broad Walk, (0)1298 23929

Hartington Hotel, Broad Walk, (0)1298 22638

I really suggest you contact somewhere soon, as it would seem Buxton is very busy.

AL

Other Hotels: http://www.smoothhound.co.uk/buxton.html

Hi Al. Thanks for the update /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've booked into the Portland Hotel, which is right across the road. Number is : 01298 22462.

I called them up and they said they were only taking two night bookings /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Still, only across the road /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ring them up again and say my good friend John Robins just booked in twenty minutes ago, they can't say no if they know others have done recently

Looks like bad timing for me. They will only take one night booking if they have that room booked on the Friday or the Sunday. Hence, minimum of two nights. Guy wasn't too helpful on the phone though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Doesn't really matter I guess, it's only across the road. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
RS6 Barry said:
Would an evo be welcome amongst all these audi's????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure we could squeeze one in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Of course, come along. I'm going on Saturday morning with David R, so if your coming and want to tag along, just let us know.

Right, Myself and Jane are booked into the Netherdale Guesthouse for the Saturday night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

Not long to go now, getting excited.

Looking forward to meeting people and maybe having a ride in Barrys Evo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

Al, can you post a definitive list of whos going to be there? Are we going to kick the night off with a curry at the usual place? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Cheers,

Christian

List of folks:-

Definites:

me &amp; beth - Saturday &amp; Sunday
Drystone &amp; Jane - Saturday &amp; Sunday
John &amp; Jo - Saturday &amp; Sunday
Simon &amp; Sharon - Saturday &amp; Sunday (not on this board)
DavidR - Saturday &amp; Sunday
Mark_R - Saturday &amp; Sunday

Maybes:

Barry - Saturday &amp; Sunday ???
Jon + 1 - Saturday &amp; Sunday
Loretta - Saturday &amp; Sunday ???
MacRS4 - Saturday &amp; Sunday ???
Daz - Saturday &amp; Sunday ???
S3Moff - Sunday
Moresauce - Sunday
BiTurbo - Sunday
Golf Bygone - Sunday