Some help pplease 8p guys

S3 Rav

Reaction score
Right guys i need your brains. My brother has a 2005 a3 2.0tdi (140). He was driving back from heathrow the other days and wheelspun a little on the ice causing his engine management light to come on. Luckily i was having the RAC come out for my car (coilpacks!!!) and checked his car too which came up as throttle sensor. it was cleared but has returned and audi have said its some sort of motor in the exhaust inlet manifold and it will cost £400 to repair!! are they having him on or is it a common fault?

You need to have another diagnostic check done IMHO, your diagnosis is very confusing.

Throttle Sensor
Inlet Manifold
Exhaust Manifold

All different things.

Sounds like the IMF I recon, but a scan is important to confirm, also check the fuse for the fan control unit in the fusebox next to the battery.

If it is the IMF it is a common fault and when mine jammed it was also blowing the fuse that is shared with the fan control unit. Luckily mine was replaced under warranty with the improoved part.

Paul

This thread may help if its the imf

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=58985&highlight=intake+manifold+flap

They are a common prob. You can get them for £200 from EuroCP and fit them them yourself - not a hard job!

EDIT : As Paul said below, checking the F8 fuse will be a starting point but if the RAC guys did check the DTCs, the fans should have come up too..

Think you need to get it properly diagnosticated!