Door Latches broken

Audi-Max

Reaction score
The other day i went to open my passenger side door and it just opened with such ease, i had a look at the latch and its stoped moving so the door isnt latching on the cars frame.

This is also happening on my drivers side anyone know how to fix it? :sos:

Its an Audi 1.6Sport 98 reg

Do you mean its just bouncing back open when you try to close it? If so mine has started doing the same thing. It will latch onto the first setting (so the door wont open fully but isnt fully closed) then i have the pull it to lock it fully closed from inside the car. If i pull to shut it from inside as normal it just bounces back open. The latch on the door spins round but doesnt lock itself into the pin properly!

I have tried wd40 and de -icer but its still doing it. Im not sure if it juts needs a new lock!:uhm:

Yeh the latch is just broken, no sort of spring and when u pull the door handle the latch doesnt move, i can move the latch with my fingers but its like its not connected to the door handles. maybe somethings disconnected im hoping someone on here will know, cause ive had a look around and found nothing on it :readit:

lads you need a door lock.

I got new door lock for my passenger side and it fix the problem with door bouncing back, not closing porperly etc...

Mine started doing this when the weather got really cold.

I tried spraying WD40 and stuff into them, but it didn't seem to cure it at all sadly.

I bought a new door lock from a scrappy for £20, and it's sorted the problem a treat. You can use 2 or 4 door locks, as the catch inside the door is the same on all A3's.

I never actually tried taking the mech apart and cleaning it all up though.

My boot started suffering from the same problem, and I took that apart and soaked it in degreaser, before blasting it out with an airline and re-oilling it, and that's also worked a treat. There may well be hope if you just strip down the door mech and clean it out.
My theory is that in the cold weather the standard grease inside it got thicker and made the problem worse, hence it showing up when the frost came in.

I cannot believe how common this appears to be. A friend of mine has an R reg Prefacelift AGU car, and a V Reg AGU car and the lock units are different. I couldnt believe how much difference a few years makes.

We did an engine swap on the R reg and most of the sensors are different to the donor V reg. We assumed with them being pre facelift all parts would swap.

So watch out guys when ordering parts, try to get the part number from your old unit to compare with the breakers parts

really? That's strange.....

My 3 door 98 AGU pre facelift has a door lock mech from a 2002 facelift 4 door.

It could perhaps be because the car was a 97 (I'm guessing from an R-plate). I've found LOADS of differences between the 97 cars and just about everything else afterwards! It seems like the early cars went through a fair few changes in the first few months.