Another ESP/ABS problem....

sage33e

sage33e
Reaction score
Hi all,

Over the past few weeks I've been having a problem with the ESP light and the ABS light on the dashboard.

Every time I put the keys in the ignition, both lights stay on, or sometimes the ABS light goes off, but the ESP light stays on.

However, infuriatingly, the ESP or the ABS light can sometimes go out when I'm driving around with no apparent warning. It can also come on as well!

A little while ago I had the same problem and took it to Audi (BIG mistake) who said it was an ECU issue, but the problem resurfaced a couple of weeks later.

I don't have the constant brake light issue, the fuses are ok, and I've unplugged the connector to the brake light switch pedal, which just lets the brake lights glow constantly, so I'm not sure that this is the problem.

I'm stratching my head a little, as it seems to be a sensor issue, but I don't really want to go back to Audi (the local dealers ain't that good and they didn't fix it last time).

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated. Oh, and I have a remap - but that was done inJuly and the problem only started 3 weeks ago.

Cheers guys.

ok, lets look at any facts to narrow it down:

Possibilities - brakes / abs disc / wheel speed sensor / abs ecu / abs pump / main ecu

Started out of the blue, so im thinking sudden failure like a wire break to a wheel sensor or the sensor itself. Could be other things but i would check the sensors on each wheel and the disc they look through - if its the same as gti ones its like a vaned disc and 2 sensor parts "see" each other through the slots, any damage there will cause an abs and esp light. A fault in the esp switch for instance wouldnt trigger an abs light as you cant switch the abs off.

There used to be a seperate ecu for the abs which in the gti was under the rear seat, not sure of the b6 etc is the same mate, others will know that better.

Cheers, evil.

Haven't been able to do anything yet, seeing as the wife reversed her car into a gate and put a ****** great hole in the rear bumper:keule:. A day of angle grinding, sanding, filler, mesh and primer so far have put laid to any plans to sort out my car.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep you posted.....