VagCom Cable

aristides

Reaction score
Hello!

I am about to buy a Vag-Com cable and i was looking for some cheap options, since Ross-Tech genuine is a bit expensive for me.

I came across this : http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230297721198&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:ES:1123
which has the 704.1 version.

Does anyone know if this would work on a 2008 A3 Sportback 8PA?
Will i have all the options activated?
I also heard that some cables stop working after an update?!

I really need some advice, since im a Vag-Com newbie!!!

It will probably work but I tried these & after 2-3 just going wrong I coughed up for a genuine one, waste of time & so inconvenient aswell.

Yes if you update the cable will be truly fecked, its just not worth it trust me & also any new modules past 704 wont be acessible as 805.1 will have them, just cough up the money, if you can afford a new 08 car you can afford the £230-260 for the lead, trust me you wont regret it for even one minute & if you get the hex can usb it will work on all vag cars so if have mate, family member or wanna help someone on AS it will work for them aswell, also free updates & support to date.

Wesley got it for £230 delivered from MI-Diag other day which is £30 less than gendan.

sounds too good to be true. You certainly wouldnt get any support with it.

regarding delivery, are you in Portugal/Spain?

I would buy one from Ross-Tech if i were to use it every day.
I need the cable to do some coding with RNS-e , new Tail lights etc.Nothing extreme

Thats why i believe paying 250p for a cable seems a lot.
The seller emailed me saying the cable works just fine and i wont have any problems.
How could i avoid updating the cable then?

Living in Greece a.t.m.

Yeah thats what I also was told until they all went wrong, anyway for what you're doing the cable pays for itself in 1st use if you consider audi's charges, also it starts on small things then you get hooked, lol.

But as already said, no support, no updates & when the cable goes wrong your seller wont help you, so why risk your money on something with no guarantees & isnt future proof

Is the Ross-Tech Software Licence needed with this software?
Would i need one or not?
Still if i were to buy one with 100$ + the cable its better to buy a genuine one i guess..

And one more thing.
How did the cables go wrong?
Did you do any updates?
So you just plugged it one day and it stopped working?

And without support and updates will i still be able to connect/code my car?
If so im satisfied :)

Uh the software needs to be registered to allow access to all modules, so you have to pay for the license anyway which as you say is $100.

I'm in IT so I dont forget things in software that often so I immediately turned of updates as the seller did say dont allow it to update, but the leads still ****** went wrong, several aswell not just one, so updates on/off didnt make any difference, they were crap full stop.

Just buy genuine & you wont have any of these problems, 20-30k car & then you query about a £230 lead, dont be so cheap, lol, lol

Hmmm if i have to buy the Licence then there is no point not going for a genuine one.

Thanks a lot for your help mate , lets bring out the big guns!

And im not cheap!!! :Flush:

Thanks a lot for your help mate , lets bring out the big guns!

And im not cheap!!! :Flush:

No worries anytime

Thats not what your missus said, lol, (kidding)

Hehe no worries, im Greek i got a good sence of humour :rock:

So, since i have to buy a genuine Ross-Tech cable is there a way to get one off England or Germany, because if i get one from the US i will have to pay customs too , which will be baaaaaaad!

PM TerryMcG and see if he still has any leads. Cheap and cheerful and will do what you want.

I bought a lead off him a year ago to install my RNS-e and got that much use out of it that I opted to buy the genuine one after about 6 months.

I guess Terry has the same one i found on ebay.
Not genuine with 704.1 software. So it would be the same thing right?

Marc at the time you were using Terry`s cable did you have to buy the License from Ross-Tech or not?
i read that the MY08+ A3`s will not work 100% with 704.1 software since there are some new options added with the new VCDS software

Yeah they are all much the same, but if it does go wrong & then you buy genuine its wasted money & you end up paying alot more than the genuine would have cost in the 1st place, but your choice, just from my experience anyway.

Hehe no worries, im Greek i got a good sence of humour :rock:

So, since i have to buy a genuine Ross-Tech cable is there a way to get one off England or Germany, because if i get one from the US i will have to pay customs too , which will be baaaaaaad!

Sorry didnt see that part, www.mi-uk.com was £230 delivered which is £30 less than www.Gendan.co.uk, if they wont deliver to you I'm happy if they send to me then I'll post to you just the lead to keep the weight down/cost, if it helps.

No you don't need a license for the ones Terry does. I had no problems with mine, and it does what you need.

The $100 license fee is applicable if you buy a genuine lead from a friend and want to get the support as the license is not transferrable. Your lead will continue to work without transferring the license, however RossTech may refuse to provide support for an "unlicensed" version.

No you don't need a license for the ones Terry does. I had no problems with mine, and it does what you need.

The $100 license fee is applicable if you buy a genuine lead from a friend and want to get the support as the license is not transferrable. Your lead will continue to work without transferring the license, however RossTech may refuse to provide support for an "unlicensed" version.

Ah if you intend to use the cracked 704 with the lead then yes it'll work, for how long is a different matter, personally I wouldnt suggest anything but genuine full stop from my experiences & on here aswell considering Ross-Tech are on here aswell, tact!!

Its not a case of MAY, they will outrightly refuse full stop to provide support for an unregistered version/lead

TBH I've not registered with Ross yet as the lead has a built in activation for the software anyway, so realistically until I need support dont need to register so I can transfer my lead I guess, but like thats gonna happen, lol, not with my ever growing list of mods

But TBH, I've not had to get any support from Ross-tech to date as its all available online mostly anyway fella.

I think at the end of the day its a risk that I actually took to get a cheaper vagcom running, risk that blew up in my face several times which taught me a lesson & also I got fedup with the inconvenience of faulty leads, old software, not accessing modules etc etc, so I thought its costing me untold in lost man hours for work I wanna do so the £260 I paid was a very sound investment, unlike some cars we have these days huh, lol.

horses for courses really - i'd say go for it because i've had no problems, but you say don't because you've had problems.

Certainly anybody on here who bought one from Terry has said they had no problems. I'm sure there are several dodgy ones floating about the bay which are not as reliable.

Well i decided to go for it.
For 70 euro including shipping it isn`t such a big deal.
I told the seller already that if the Cable doesn`t work in the first place i will sent it back and get a refund..
Sounds good to me