A Wide band sensor and an AFR gauge in an S3?

S3 Paul

Reaction score
Hi.
I know a few people with custom cars and race cars and they are shocked i dont have one of these fitted to my car. Its to keep a check on the Air Fuel Ratio of the engine... basicaly to make sure the car isnt running lean or rich when under load...

Has anybody got one in their car?

Thanks.
I wasnt realy asking where sold these more is anybody using one now or has anybody had one before on a S3 or TT engine.
Im asking as alot of cars now can be "flashed" on the drive way to remap the ecu but away from VAG COM i would like away of checking my fueling is spot on.
Im pretty sure it is as mine wasnt a straight forward ECU flash and spent alot of time on the rollers .
More for peace of mind than anythingelse.

If you just want to check every now and again, then just use VAG-COM, go for a drive and log the results.

2001 S3 should have wideband a standard.

2001 S3 should have wideband a standard.

Think it's only the BAMs which have a wideband. When I had my car dyno'd by JKM they said that my engine (2001 AMK) was right at the changeover point and only had a narrow-band

My engine is AMK and has wide band as standard.

When my car was set up and mapped after the conversion JBS did say ...its great. the car has all the best bits... its already got a wide band

Does this mean i could fit a guage or should i stick to vag com?

AMK should have wideband. Using VAG-COM, enter the engine diags and log block 33. If it fluctuates between about 0.13 and 3.6 volts then it's wideband. If between 0 and 1 volt then it's narrowband.

As a general rule, vehicles with pre and post cat sensors should be wideband, but don't quote me on that.

I think its 6 wires coming off the lamda sensor rather than 4.

For any big power/race car I would recommend an EGT and Lambda/AFR gauge just to keep an eye on things! Also good just to have on any turbocharger/supercharger converted car.

If it starts getting too hot, starts running lean or making too much boost you can back off before you need to buy a new engine or other components!

We use the Zeitronix ZT-2 gauge - very nice, neat looking - can do EGT, Lambda, AFR, TPS, Boost and RPM so its a gauge in one really, not to expensive at £400.00inc VAT supplied with probe, boost sensor and bungs.

The way I see it - £400 to make sure everything is ok and if not, don't put your foot down - or at a later date buy a new engine, turbo etc etc at ££££

Mike

For any big power/race car I would recommend an EGT and Lambda/AFR gauge just to keep an eye on things! Also good just to have on any turbocharger/supercharger converted car.

If it starts getting too hot, starts running lean or making too much boost you can back off before you need to buy a new engine or other components!

Totally agree,vag-com is ok but with a gauge you can see if its running lean instantly and lift off before you hear the big expensive bang.

Loads of people say a boost gauge is essential when upping the boost but so is an afr/egt gauge.

We use the Zeitronix ZT-2 gauge - very nice, neat looking - can do EGT, Lambda, AFR, TPS, Boost and RPM so its a gauge in one really, not to expensive at £400.00inc VAT supplied with probe, boost sensor and bungs.

The way I see it - £400 to make sure everything is ok and if not, don't put your foot down - or at a later date buy a new engine, turbo etc etc at ££££

Mike

Nice products those, however us guys with custom code wouldn't need one as your maps are perfect....yes? Sorry, couldn't resist. Thinking of getting something like this. Can't go for the liquidS3 gauge as my ECU isn't supported.

Mike, for my setup the EGT probe would fit in the downturn after the turbo or could it be fitted in the manifold? I've heard probes can deteriorate and break up into the turbine. Fitting post turbo would solve this, but temps would be lower I imagine. A probe on cylinder 3 would obviously be the best option, but I'm worried about it's life.

That is correct! Our maps are perfect so there is not a big need for these..... but, if you get a vac leak or an injector fault with such a gauge you would be able to tell if its running lean :) - Good answer?

Either way having something like this, if you are on a track the car is just going to get hotter and hotter (unless you use NOS) of which you can keep an eye on the EGT and if things get a little too hot you can back off and let it cool down.

Not only that this also does boost pressure so it will save you buying a boost gauge.

I have been looking at Defi gauges for my project and with a controler, boost gauge and EGT it will be costing near on £300.00 plus a good quality AFR/Lambda - AEM £200.00 - thats £500!! So its cheaper with Zeitronix plus you get RPM, TPS and you can data log the car with a laptop plugged in. All in one display too so you don't have to get 3 pod mounts!

So my car is getting a Zeitronix (ordering that today!!)

As for where to put the EGT, just after the turbo.

Mike