I need a new clutch

giorgos_cupra

Reaction score
Hello guys and girls.My clutch after almost two years gave up...Now i'm in the market for a new one with a light weight flywheel.I know about the chatter and all,but i don't care.My car is a dd but i oftenly use it for drag...Official or not;)...My car is a 98 1.8t quattro.Chipped at 225 ps.But the next spring probably my 28rs is going in,so i need something to handle that...I tried to get in touch with southbend amerika,but no luck...So,i need your advice on a new strong clutch...TIA!!!

I have the stage 4 southbend. Is good, pedal is a lot firmer than before and the bite is right near the bottom of the pedal travel.

hey what up soupie?Probably you don't remember me...I'm at audizine too.We have the same wheels and wheel spacers,probably drop too,i'm on h&r race.Anyway,i know about sb but i can't get in touch with them...I want a stage 4 with cryo and a lwfw...Sent them an email a week ago,but nothing...

Strange I got a reply later that day.

Send Bitterchild a pm on AZ and he will sort you out. Say I recommended him and he will sell it cheaper than others hopefully. He should remember me as I asked a lot of questions and got a neuspeed tip off him also.

Get some pics up of your car to jog my memory, will be nice to see your car.

I'll post some pics tomorrow at the zine with the new bumper and here too.I'll send a pm to bitter right now and see if something works out...

ps.should i post them here or is there another section?

I do southbend clutches and flywheel at 10-15% less than the website. pm me for details
cheers

Soupie are you running a single or duel mass fly? If its the std one how are you finding it with the stage 4??? Was thinking it might be a bit OTT for the 250bhp power im planning to run lol

I am running the standard duel mass.

I find it alright, I decided to get stage 4 as it was not much more than stage 3 and I hope to eventually get decent power so got that incase.

Ahh i see, i was kind of worried that the std flywheel wouldnt take a powerful clutch, after an incident i had with my GF's galaxy and her DM flywheel.
Think i might have to go for the same clutch if its working nice with your flywheel, i like to hear real world opinions on stuff before i buy it rather than company gumph.. Thanks fot the input :)

DM flywheel horror stories tend to be due to people having refitted a Unservicable unit.
Southbend have a check list on their website for refitting flywheels, basically tests the shock absorption of the rubber in the flywheel.
if in doubt fit a new one, if they work on S4/RS4's they can;t be too flimsy.
personally I will be sticking with a DM as I am told they can be noisy.

basically you are swapping the sprung hub of the friction plate for a sprung flywheel which uses rubber instead of springs