New A4

DjIntensivE

Reaction score
I'm getting a new A4...do you guys recoomend the 3.0 or 1.8?

3.0 litre is nice and smooth with plenty of power in stock guise - although it's difficult to tune as not a lot is available...... the 1.8t however is the most tunable VAG group engine out there.... horses for courses but in either format the A4 is a great car!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I concur with Barry; If you plan on doing any engine tuning then go for the 1.8T if not then I'd go for the 3.0, you can't beat all that extra power and V-6 sound.

You looking at 2WD or quattro?

if i may hijack this thread for a minute then i have a few questions...

i dont own an A4 but am seriously considering gettting one. i, like djintensive, am unsure about the 1.8 or 3.0 liter. now, i have done a small amount of lurking as well as "research" and have of course seen that almost all of the mods are for the 1.8. with that said i found only one for the 3.0, from T.A.P. i have no idea how good it is but purportedly will bring the horses to 238 for $500. dont know about tq. gains. now, i come from exclusively american V8's (easy guys) and as such have a natural aversion to 4 cylinders. but for $1000 one can get 215hp and 250lbs. tq from APR. which would bring the 1.8 to the level of the 3.0. but does it really? i suppose that is the question. it may seem foolish of me to ask as they might not be in business long if these suppliers didnt make good on their pony claims, but it seems a bit foreign to me to see, for instance, a kit from neuspeed get 216 wheel hp for $2500 which obviously outperforms the 3.0.

i am not looking to mod the hell out of this car, but i would NOT be happy with the stock 1.8 as it simply wont give me the power/torque i want. i also would be happier keeping a warranty and basically understand that the more i mod the less legs i have to stand on to get anything fixed- read moss? act.

so- if i were to mod a 1.8 turbo to, lets say, the neuspeed stuff to bring it past the 3.0 n/a motors output how long might i expect that motor to last? how much extra stress does that add? expect more breakdowns, etc.- sort of rhetorical but wanna ask.

and if i were to chip the 3.0 to add 20 more ponies is that detectable to the dealer? i've read that some arent but cannot remember who/where.

forgive the rambling and thanks for your time-- hell, i already used Gammba's great resource list of modders to get this info- thanks Gammba!

I don't know if this help but...

I've just moved from a APR modded TT (1.8T) into an S4 (V8). Even with as doing as much modding as you can to a 1.8T is is still a four cyclinder. If you like the noises and smoothness that you are used to then you need to look at the bigger engines. If you want a easier to modify engine which means great value and good fuel ecomomy then the 1.8T is there.

The difference in power delivery is vast. Another comparison :

My TT against a 3.2 V6 A3 - My TT was faster but you have to work at getting the revs up to avoid turbo lag. In the normally aspirated A3 the power, as you would expect is instant.

If you're a V8 man then I fear you may be disappointed with a 1.8T. There's only one way of knowing for sure though so go and have some fun on a test drive

the 1.8t has much more available mods, and you get better gains, however without installing a new turbo you can really press no more than 220 hp. But most find that its plenty of horse for that car.

yes- both replies help. i suppose they are telling of what i already knew and suspected but still help. especially the info about keeping the revs high (not at all familiar with turbos) and the simple "on tap" power that more displacement gives- as well as the 1.8 will only get to about the same output as the 3.0 before major mods are needed- hence major money and higher mechanical risks. thank you.

still have the question about the chip for the 3.0- if installed and say, one of my valves goes bad, when i brought it into service would they know i added a chip? or could i feasibly change the chip if something goes wrong and THEN bring it in- would they know? forgive me but i only remedially grasp the chip idea, application, installation, etc.

thanks again.

The general consensus with a 3.0 is don't bother, unless you can afford the supercharger/ECU upgrade option at £9K+ for a 25% power increase.

See the advice from Gambba =>> 3.0 vs 1.8T

Wouldn't the additional supercharger/ECU upgrade option bring the price of the A4 3.0 to the level of an S4? If so, why not just get the S4?