tie bars?

cyuen

Reaction score
Website
www.schnell-motorwerke.com
read something on Forge about tie bars braking after the car being lowered? Any thoughts on the necessity of the tie bar?

never heard this.

i think its the case you need adjustable ones if you need them.

it comes apparent after lowering, if you need the extra adjustment to get the geometry and thus tyre wear right.

My factory fitted Quattro GmbH lowered suspesion doesnt need them, my Tyre wear is fine, and perfectly even.

I had the adjustables fitted as after lowering, you could visibly see the camber was out (from the rear) and also the rear looked to low IMO - fitting the tie bars sorted everything out (all done by AMD). So if you are lowering your car bear in mind you may need the extra expense of adjustable tie bars (as I didnt know that at the time - cost me circa £400 all in, including fitting and alignment)

Dunc

I never had them and had no problems on the TT. I know Wak had issues with uneven tyre wear.

I think the difference is I went for Koni shocks and he left the original shocks.

I think it also depends how often you have people/weight in the back as this lowers it more and causes the issues.

Wak swears by them and says they have sorted the handling. I never had an issue.

i m going to be running on H&R Coilover sports, will be lowering it the minimum, just want stiffer ride, less roll thats all.

The adjustable tie bars also take the stress out of the rear wheel components like bearings, tyres etc as with out them on a lowered car the wheel does not sit flat on the ground but on the inside edge.

My old man had this problem and did not notice it until I changed his rear brakes and looked at the wheels off the car..........suprised he did not have a blow out as the inside tyre edge was that bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif, but to look at the wheels standing near the car they were fine and had loads of tread.

Speaking of Tie Bars, does anyone have any undercarriage pics of the TT/S3 LOWER front tie bar?? I'm considering this, as I've heard the Upper doesn't accomplish much unless the lower is fitted. PLUS it wouldn't be too expensive and it's something else I could do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
cyuen said:
i m going to be running on H&R Coilover sports, will be lowering it the minimum, just want stiffer ride, less roll thats all.

[/ QUOTE ]

To do that properly, you should be looking at spring / damper combinations and anti roll bars.

The S3 is a heavy car, and to limit roll with springs & dampers only will mean you have to have them so stiff that all ride comfort is lost.
Perhaps the roads you use permit this, but where I am that sort of set up is a no-no.

You can get away with softer damping / springing if you run uprated anti-roll bars....you still have the better roll reluctance but the ride comfort is increased.

Don't forget also that the stiffer the ride in general, the less the chassis is able to cope with small bumps, and it actually is less able to put the power down.
This probably won't be a problem on a smooth dry road, but on a wet back road, it's an issue.

Sticking with modest spring / damper rates and fitting uprated ARBs gives toy the best combination of all...you get the better handling, whilst keeping the decent ride comfort and still being able to transfer all the torque to the road, wet or dry, on all roads.

Andy, yeah, that's the one I'm talking about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You wouldn't have a pic by chance, would you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif Did you order the S3 or TT part? And so it WAS pretty easy then? Anything I should be careful of??

Thanks Dude, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif