GIAC Hammer remap for S3

• Thread starter Deleted member 22276
  • Start date
I bet you are over the moon about it - It had put me off slightly about getting mine mapped, but I have already booked it in for a week after I get it

I bet you are over the moon about it - It had put me off slightly about getting mine mapped, but I have already booked it in for a week after I get it

Yeah I am, I was very close to just getting my money back, would have been a bit of a come down going to stock from the hammer map!

Isn't it a bad idea to remap it from new? I guess so long as you run it in properly it won't make a difference.

Isn't it a bad idea to remap it from new? I guess so long as you run it in properly it won't make a difference.

It will probably has 700 miles on it by then, so will be well run in - I only run my cars in for 200 miles to bed the brakes in. And700 miles or so should be enough to identify any pre re-map niggles that might be there

... anyone else skeptical that this was the cause?

If you're starting a list you can put me on it.

... and why are you guys revving the nuts off these engines? Change up a gear and use the higher torque from lower in the rev range.

... and why are you guys revving the nuts off these engines? Change up a gear and use the higher torque from lower in the rev range.

I totally agree, the engine has lovely midrange and normally I don't rev past 4 or 5k but since the problem was noticed around 6.5k I have been revving the pants off it to test it out, now that I'm 100% happy the issue is resolved my normal driving style has been resumed.

I'm pretty confident it was the exhaust valve, it shouldn't be too hard to replicate if it is, but to be honest I'd rather not tempt fate, its working now so I'll leave it.

I am also quite sceptical about it, I am glad he could sort the problem but I really think this mod (keeping the flap always open) could cause a flat spot or misfire code (since his engine light flashed). I think I will keep my car stock for some time now, in my case the car feels quite nice on the stock map. I would really consider GIAC if it only were available here :(

Agreed John , when your day to day driving, but if your going on a THRASH redlining the car ( once well upto temp - 10 mins after temp light says it's ok ) will do no harm, ( as long as you don't keep bouncing off the limiter ) in fact it's good for the car to clear it's throat from time to time!

p

I am also quite sceptical about it, I am glad he could sort the problem but I really think this mod (keeping the flap always open) could cause a flat spot or misfire code (since his engine light flashed). I think I will keep my car stock for some time now, in my case the car feels quite nice on the stock map. I would really consider GIAC if it only were available here :(

The thing that adds weight to my argument is this...

I had the car remapped with the valve lever pointing up, the flat spot was there and the engine management light would come on. I then re-connected the valve and the flat spot was still there although it felt different, much less dramatic and the engine management light stayed off, it didn't even flash. Then I put it back to stock for a few miles and again back to pump and the issue totally went away.

i had my car custom coded at jbs, and it,s been fine now for over five months well pleased with it. glad i didn,t go for revo one herd a few bad things about them

Im new here and also with my S3.

What is this valve on the exhaust some are talking about?What does it do?

I really doubt that is going to cause any type of problem, the difference in back pressure after completing this mod will be a fraction of the difference when changing the exhaust to an after market system and mine ran perfectly with the first GIAC map and down-pipe and cat-back..

Getting the 330 map in a week or so with some other bits too so ill let you know how it goes..

Jonny

Hi
so did you get the giac 330 map done, if so what do you think to it ?

i am wanting myn doing but got mixed views after reading peoples info

what you all think is he best re-map, sort of cost, and approx bhp ? :blackrs4:

I have now sold the S3 but if in the same position again and with much improved knowledge I would still select GIAC.

I've been to a couple of dyno days now and although the Hammer map doesn't make the claimed 330bhp it does provide an excellent mix of bhp and the highest torque.

Being located in wakefield you are ideally placed to use Statller in Sheffield, give him a call and I'm sure he will be able to put your mind at rest plus offer a discount if you mention the forum..

0114 279 8195 ask for Junior.

The other great think about the GIAC map is the way the power is delivered, nice progressive power and torqu curve... it practically mirrors the original profile of the car, just with more power and torque the whole way through.

thanks guys,i spoke to them today and i am going to call them back
whats this i hear about mtm's map at 350 bhp, and how much is that

just want the best map with the best bhpx torque that is drivable ?

I think that's stage 2, so upgraded air intake and exhaust required. JonnyC on here has about 345bhp from the GIAC hammer with upgraded intake and custom exhaust.
Anything over that and yuor moving in to big turbo conversion.

Balls i have this problem on my giac hammer mapped s3 now too, its totaly standard apart from a drop in bmc airfilter and the exhaust valve has never been tampered with ive checked its still all connected up ok too.
When i put the car back to standard the problem disapears also and i can rev ok too 7k, wtf is causing this problem on mine, i have the added benefit of not being anywhere near an audi dealer or a giac agent, bummer.
Is yours still running ok siu00adg?

I forgot to add that im currently running on bp ultimate as its all i can get within a 30 mile radius, also the car is a 20008my with the latest 07 software revision.

block - are you referring to a flat spot?
Have you tried flashing back to stock and then going back to hammer map?
I think siu00adg tried this and all was fine again....

I've had mine on for a good while now and covered some miles and not had a single problem!

block - are you referring to a flat spot?
Have you tried flashing back to stock and then going back to hammer map?
I think siu00adg tried this and all was fine again....

I've had mine on for a good while now and covered some miles and not had a single problem!

Yes im refering to the 6500rpm flatspot/misfire and emissions light flashing at me.
I have tried numerous times flashing back to stock, which runs ok as stock, and then going back to the hammer but still the problem persists.
im actually thinking of disconnecting the valve to see if it cures it on mine,lol.

Yes im refering to the 6500rpm flatspot/misfire and emissions light flashing at me.
I have tried numerous times flashing back to stock, which runs ok as stock, and then going back to the hammer but still the problem persists.
im actually thinking of disconnecting the valve to see if it cures it on mine,lol.

Well, it's has been fine for ages, but strangely it had a relaps the other week and the flatspot came back which ****** me off, but it sorted itself out after 5 minutes and has been fine ever since. I'm pretty sure it's not a mechanical issue though.

Weird something isnt quite right, and its anoying the hell out of me:uhm:

Who did you get it from?
Maybe give them a bell, as they should have a record of the exact map they put on your car. They can then check with GIAC.... there maybe an updated map or something available.... you never know.

Who did you get it from?
Maybe give them a bell, as they should have a record of the exact map they put on your car. They can then check with GIAC.... there maybe an updated map or something available.... you never know.
The map was from star performance who i have spoken too and didnt really know what would cause it without looking at the car but there 130 miles away, also i have just fired off an email to giac in the us to see if they know anything about a cure or issue.
Ive got 30 days to get it sorted otherwise im gonna get my money back.

If I was you I'd make the trip and let them diagnose it - think it will be ait difficult for them to help otherwise - a long trip I know, but for piece of mind it has to be worth it.
Chances are it's something they can cure...

If I was you I'd make the trip and let them diagnose it - think it will be ait difficult for them to help otherwise - a long trip I know, but for piece of mind it has to be worth it.
Chances are it's something they can cure...
aye i know im just trying to check as much of the obvious as possible really before i drive all the way up there.:shrug:

how comes you opted GIAC over the REVO?

how comes you opted GIAC over the REVO?
i was going up to edinburgh anyhow and i have used star before so they were easiest to use really, i have no tuners near me within 100 miles anyhow. also i liked the sound of the giac hammer map and the flash loader and just thought id be more lucky.
:keule:
revo is however next on the list if i dont get the giac sorted in 30 days.

Not wanting to rub salt in the wound but this is the exact reason why I didn't bother getting this S3 remapped, too many people have had the same problem with the map.

That tells me something!!

Hope you get it sorted though mate and other tuners dont seem to be having the reliability issue at the mn.

Only a handful have had issues though haven't they??
There are loads of people pushing big power gains on GTi engines with various maps, and most are having no issues.... granted a handful, but they could ahve had those issues in standard trim.

In reply to Faz - I went GIAC purely after having several conversations with people that know lots more than me I opted GIAC as it offered all that I was after.
Flash between maps in seconds.
Very smooth progressive delivery
Uses Audi's latest original map for my car
Keeps the flash count static

I agree the Revo seems a great piece of kit, but it's not for me TBH, hearing people talk about the engine 'reducing' because of you've set it incorrectly and all that, is not what I'm after TBH.

Well, it's has been fine for ages, but strangely it had a relaps the other week and the flatspot came back which ****** me off, but it sorted itself out after 5 minutes and has been fine ever since. I'm pretty sure it's not a mechanical issue though.

Im not wanting to harm your car but today i found out that my car only does this when being run uphill, hence having more load on the engine, plus its only in 3rd and 4th gears.
i was just wondering if you could give it a try sometime to see if yours will do it on demand too.
i have spent all day at star performance with jim trying to fix this problem with the car on and off the rollers with various maps but to no avail, the worst thing is that it dosent seem to be map related (jim is thinking injectors faulty). today we eliminated the maps, the coilpacks, the plugs, the dv.
eventually we had the vag com connected with the car just idling and the screen which checks for misfires on each cylinder running and we were seeing misfires on cylinder 2 and 3 even at idle, this happened with the giac and with the stock map!
Next step for me is to try some of that injector cleaner from halfords or somewhere, (apparently they dont like being sat for any great deal of time plus running them on 95 ron can also damage them, bearing in mind my car was an audi car for 10k) and also try some fuel other than bp ultimate.
If none of those work then im gonna have to try and persuade audi to replace my injectors, somehow:shrug:

There are loads of people pushing big power gains on GTi engines with various maps, and most are having no issues.... granted a handful, but they could ahve had those issues in standard trim.

Yep.
Had REVO on 3 cars so far.
MK4 Gti (150 bhp to 200bhp)
MK5 Gti (197bhp to 200bhp)
S3 (261bhp to 300+bhp)

All with excellent, incident free results.

Never had any other mods.
Never fiddled with any flaps.
Always used Super Unleaded.

Just more power & More fun.

Did have a knackered DMF on the MK5 which the Remap showed up straight away, this was changed under warranty so no great shakes.

Cheers
Paul

i must have done a good 4k with the hammer map now and touch wood no problems, car has only ran on vpower and is driven hard everyday. Pootling around doesnt seem to suit the engine imo

For me it has to be GIAC all day long!!

I had Revo on my Golf GTI, with Milltek exhaust only it ran well, as soon as I did anything else then it couldn't handle it, had boost cuts, fuel cut off, going into limp, etc etc etc..

Revo were not interested in the Slightest in helping me out too which made it worse..

Apart from that, Revo felt faster than when the car was running GIAC, but only because of the way the power was delivered, pretty much in one big lump! Which is great for breaking, Traction, Clutches, Rods etc etc..

In reality the car fitted with GIAC map and exactly the same hardware made more power and torque..

On my S3 I have ran quite a combination of mods, the GIAC Hammer software coped perfectly with all of them, Logs on Vag com proved this, couldn't be happier.. And it made the most power that I have seen out of a K04 powered S3 to date..

The problem Block seems to be experiencing is a car problem rather than the Map, hope you get it sorted ASAP mate!

For me it has to be GIAC all day long!!

I had Revo on my Golf GTI, with Milltek exhaust only it ran well, as soon as I did anything else then it couldn't handle it, had boost cuts, fuel cut off, going into limp, etc etc etc..

Revo were not interested in the Slightest in helping me out too which made it worse..

Apart from that, Revo felt faster than when the car was running GIAC, but only because of the way the power was delivered, pretty much in one big lump! Which is great for breaking, Traction, Clutches, Rods etc etc..

In reality the car fitted with GIAC map and exactly the same hardware made more power and torque..

On my S3 I have ran quite a combination of mods, the GIAC Hammer software coped perfectly with all of them, Logs on Vag com proved this, couldn't be happier.. And it made the most power that I have seen out of a K04 powered S3 to date..

The problem Block seems to be experiencing is a car problem rather than the Map, hope you get it sorted ASAP mate!

Doesnt sound like REVO are too interested in custom mapping and development work.
I guess thats where the smaller outfits are at an advantage.

As a `plug and play` standard product REVO is very good.
It is an aggressive map but I find the S3 map not quite is in yer face as the MK5 Gti map I had. The S3 map feels more progressive than the MK5 power delivery.

Yep.
Had REVO on 3 cars so far.
MK4 Gti (150 bhp to 200bhp)
MK5 Gti (197bhp to 200bhp)
S3 (261bhp to 300+bhp)

All with excellent, incident free results.

Never had any other mods.
Never fiddled with any flaps.
Always used Super Unleaded.

Just more power & More fun.

Did have a knackered DMF on the MK5 which the Remap showed up straight away, this was changed under warranty so no great shakes.

Cheers
Paul

How did the knackered dmf show up when you had the remap on the golf was it a fault code?