What to do?!!

edward_harris

s3 gone now a shiney red evo 6
Reaction score
Right i know Ive been going on about this for a while now! But Ive got to choices! I either
keep the s3 and go ahead with either the JBS or jabba Turbo upgrade and try to get it near 420bhp!

or

i sell the s3 and get something JAP! Like a skyline or a RX7 ( any other recommendations?! ) - got to be loud! hehe

But I'm also thinking now that Ive done everything else to the s3 ie brakes, suspension etc am i better off keeping it and just doing the turbo? If i get a skyline or something like that not only will i have to do all the engine work but also brakes, suspension, wheels just generally getting it how i want it!

So some opinions would be nice! either way I'm doing one of them! Just dont no which one to go for!

humm thats a tough one. i would go for something different. theres only so much fun you could have with your s3. goin for something totally new would be alot more fun, fair enough you starting from scratch but its new atleat. my cousins got a uk spec twin turbo supra with a blitz nurspec r exhaust..sounds and goes like f&*k

I dont know how reliable an S3 is running that sort of power but mates I know that have owned skylines, Rx7's seem to have them off the road quite a bit!

Obviously if you spend alot of money and get a good one you wont have as many problems as the bad ones but even still I think the possibility to go boom is always there, every Rx7 I see for sale states "just had a complete engine rebuild" :)

p.s. if you wanted something fun to drive and quick. Have you thought about buying a cheap Civic then getting a K20, Civic type R engine stuck in it and getting it super charged?

There is a company that will supply and fit the engine with all the running gear for around 4.5k + 2-3k for a civic, + 3 for the charger. and you will have a 1000kg 270bhp car :rockwoot:

yea they have to be rebuilt every 60000 miles i think! so a rebuilt one would be good! its only going to be a weekend car as i use a van in the week!! i think a supra is one car i wouldn't have as i just dont like the look of them for some reason!

i love the shapes of supras, they can be kept looking fairly standard i rekon with just a FMIC and a nice set of wheels to set them off. or a nice skyline gtr?

mmmm...... i'd sell the S3 course i'm biassed as i'm in the market for a new one.....
i was in your boat till i wrapped mine round a tree! was starting ta think of something else till i binned mine now i just want another one!

alright Ed,
What do you use your car for at the moment?
Nearly all the cars you've mentioned have limits to power ,rx7 is about 350hp,evo 400hp,skyline 420hp.The supra can be pushed a little more to say 500hp.After this your looking at very expensive rebuilds.In my opinion 500bhp is the limit for a fairly reliable road car.Handling wise they all vary,also are you looking at trackdays etc?

in some ways i do want to keep it as i do love the car!! but when it comes to weekends and all my mates are out in there loud jap cars it just makes me want one! Ive spent so much money on the s3 over £10000! maybe its time to spend it on something else?!

i just use it on weekends as a toy really! i might do track days but they will be few and far between! Ive spoken to a few company's skyline r33 GTR can go to about 550bhp on standard internals! i want about 500bhp tbh! Then i should be happy! my mates RX7 is about 350bhp and it leaves mine after about 80mph! so i gotta out do him!! lol

eatdegrub said:
mmmm...... i'd sell the S3 course i'm biassed as i'm in the market for a new one.....
i was in your boat till i wrapped mine round a tree! was starting ta think of something else till i binned mine now i just want another one!

Cars are like ex's, never go back to the same one!

If you want big turbo power reliability will always be an issue no matter what marque. I love Skylines though, they are awesome looking things from the R33 upwards, anything before that just looks old

500bhp is pushing it a bit on a standard skyline and unless you buy one already modified it isn't that cheap if it's done right.The skyline will destroy the rx7 at the top end!
A r32 skyline modified to 450bhp came to 30-130 day and i beat him with a 340bhp evo ,handling wise no matter what you heard they won't keep up with a evo or scooby.rx7 is a great handling car,quite light but the engines are so fragile,350bhp is really a top figure in standard trim.A supra will do 500bhp on standard internals again won't be cheap to do and quite lairy!!!

My opinion is stick to what you have ,£3k more for 100bhp is not bad.
If not then a pukka 500bhp evo but you will be looking at 15+k

Oh BTW, you thought about an NSX? Affordable supercar!

Depends on what you do it I suppose, there are some turbo charged ones but not sure of the figures. Have a look at funky powers HKS NSX, thats turbo charged

hmmm i'd stick to what you have.

i'd needed the money for a house move,i lost about £5k over 3 1/2 years which isn't too bad.Bought myself a cheapo evo ,spent about £2k on it .Now has more power,handling,brakes etc than the s3!To get 500bhp i'm looking at £8,000 fitted but 0-130 in under 10 seconds is appealing!

lol i still wouldnt mind a evo!! still also like the wr1s!! I really need to go out and drive all these cars!

evo has the edge over scoobies tuning wise.

I test drove an Evo 8 before I got the S3, it was so much better in the handling department, brakes etc. Also I found it quite noisy and the interior is pretty awful next to the S. As mine is a daily driver I went for the S but would still love an Evo. Also have a look at insurance as the Evo was around £1500 compred to about £450 for the S.

yep loads more road noise and cheapo interior.Insurance is more although not too much more if your getting on a bit!
Like i said if it's a weekend warrior noise/comfort are not a issue!

Get an AC Cobra replica and some biggles glasses.

Awesome car, proper engine and a awesome weekend car.

Can built your own cheap one for 10K ish, you can get brand new Chevy 450HP engines in on a crate for 3K these days.

/old school.

Wont be anywhere near as fast as the other things listed, but its 1 billion times better looking and 1 million billion times cooler.

Rather have a tvr tuscan/cerbera.

Why not spend £750 on a nice nos system for yours. Keep the 325hp for everyday driving, (hardly slow is it!) and get a 75hp NOS kit for when you want to have fun up against your mates.
You have the rods, no more mods needed, and turbo cars love NOS.

Got to be jap? Sounds like the only thing speed wise you wouldnt get bored of is GSXR 1000!:hubbahubba:

The next car I'm thinking of, after owing a an Evo, and a few Subaru's and a S2000 and a few Integra's, is a VX220 Turbo with a stage 3 conversion, completely different, plus a turbo approx 270bhp :) Got the S3 to be sensible, and am at the stage where I'm adding up all the future mods to sort the car, and thinking is it worth it, but any car you buy has to be modified within reason which costs money :(
I did test drive a RX7, single turbo conversion, larger injectors, FMIC, single plate clutch, power was on/off, and so was the traction ;)
Had lots of cars, but am running out of choice, if money was no object, then an Evo all day it would be, but I do remember £40 of optimax giving me 80-100 miles max and turning up at restaurants with the missus, waiting for the turbo to cool with a full Blitz nur spec and the getting looks of the bad sort. Or do your bike license, after the Evo I could not feed my speed fix, and now own a GSXR 600, 3rd bike in two years, but I love it, just gotta be careful, and patient. You're lucky you still have car choice, I now have a cottage with a thatch roof and a missus who is not keen me spending the majority of money on my car or bike. :(

lol as fast as it might be Dave its not that practical for me! would be rapid tho! hehe

Not sure about NOS smich, ive always seen that as cheating! lol

budget wise it depends, i dont want to spend over £16 but that would have to be the lot! ie £16k for the power and everything done! so thats why im looking at r33 gtr for about £8-9k then spend some money on it to do it up!

keendean said:
The next car I'm thinking of, after owing a an Evo, and a few Subaru's and a S2000 and a few Integra's, is a VX220 Turbo with a stage 3 conversion, completely different, plus a turbo approx 270bhp :) Got the S3 to be sensible, and am at the stage where I'm adding up all the future mods to sort the car, and thinking is it worth it, but any car you buy has to be modified within reason which costs money :(
I did test drive a RX7, single turbo conversion, larger injectors, FMIC, single plate clutch, power was on/off, and so was the traction ;)
Had lots of cars, but am running out of choice, if money was no object, then an Evo all day it would be, but I do remember £40 of optimax giving me 80-100 miles max and turning up at restaurants with the missus, waiting for the turbo to cool with a full Blitz nur spec and the getting looks of the bad sort. Or do your bike license, after the Evo I could not feed my speed fix, and now own a GSXR 600, 3rd bike in two years, but I love it, just gotta be careful, and patient. You're lucky you still have car choice, I now have a cottage with a thatch roof and a missus who is not keen me spending the majority of money on my car or bike. :(

I couldn't agree more with Dean....

For about £600 you could get yourself a bike licence. Then spend about £3000 on a Japanese sports bike, and it'll be more fun than any cars mentioned so far, not to mention quicker (though hardly the point).

Taking a corner fast on a bike is a completely different experience. Then when your knee hits the deck....:rockwoot:

Must be careful though.