Insurance Issues!!

Juniper44

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Just getting my insurance sorted for my S3 coming 1st March.

My insurance company are telling me that the DVD Sat Nav and CD changes are classed as modifications and the underwriter are wanting me to pay extra??!! Does anyone else have these extras and been told by their insurer they are a mod?

I am having several internal optional extras all factory fitted so I was under the impression that yes you have to tell the insurance co in case gets nicked, or someone just wants to break in and smash it but if the optional extras were internal and all factory fitted they were not classed as mods??!!

Any opinions greatly appreciated!

My A4 came with a lot of factory fitted extra's like the RNS-E Sat Nav, the 6-cd changer and rear parking sensors just to name a few, and I'll be honest I've not mentioned anything about them to the insurance company. You've got me worrying now because when you think about it, anybody could claim they had these things installed if their car gets stolen :unsure: My premium is due for renewal in April so I think I'd better mention them all. I would be gutted if they weren't covered.

Thats exactly it, I want to be covered for everything on the car but i don't think its far to class the rns-e and the cd changer as mods when they are optional extras!

However I would rather pay the extra and have them covered.

I also want to make sure that its all in writing what is covered as it doesn't mean much when you talk to them on the phone.

Be very careful not all insurance companies cover your factory fitted options. They will ask and charge you extra e.g xenons become rally lights. but not cover them and only pay for standard in a claim. I'm with LV who claim to cover all options.

Have just changed to Audi insurance (Zurich) I listed all factory fit extras including retrofit RSN-E at no additional premium.

Check this link.

I also checked out non mod but creature comfort spec and what you are being told is stretching it a bit. Check out Elephant who i have now went with. Go through the quote process and when you get to the modified button to hit it will then open up a mod page. In there you will find what you would expect. re-map/exhaust/suspension etc but you won't see creature comfort stuff.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=50021

I am with Elephant, but as they don't insure Sun roofs or open-sky, this part is not covered.

Will be searching else where come renewal time.

Im with Admiral which is the same company as Elephant and they both want you to declare any non standard spec factory extras fitted. The xenon lights on my car became rally lights as someone said and the leather interior became interior modifications. The woman then went on to say that non of the modifications are covered under the policy. You are paying extra because of the increased risk of your car. It a cheek if you ask me but I wouldnt not declare them.

Dandle said:
Im with Admiral which is the same company as Elephant and they both want you to declare any non standard spec factory extras fitted. The xenon lights on my car became rally lights as someone said and the leather interior became interior modifications. The woman then went on to say that non of the modifications are covered under the policy. You are paying extra because of the increased risk of your car. It a cheek if you ask me but I wouldnt not declare them.

Looks like we both had different responses.

I'm sure i mentioned in the thread link, that i phoned Elephant to confirm non performance enhancing extras was not an issue and would be covered. The answer i got was none of the things i mentioned were an issue and would be covered no problem. You know Flat bottom/GSM/I-pod etc etc. As i said before if you go through an elephant quote there is a mod button and then mod page and it has all the classic performance mods in there but not toys and creature comfort extras.

Strange in deed.:think:

Don't talk to me about this subject. You have to be really careful you could get tripped up on this. Some insurers term factory fitted options as modifications - and the question on the quote will simply be, is your car modified. If you answer no to this and you have options - they will not be taken into account if the car is ever a total loss - they will simply ignore and give you basic market value for standard car or in the first year replace with a standard car without options - so be careful.

On another note what ****** me off is when someone bumps into you on the way to work one day and your insurance renewal comes through and its double what it should be - even though you have 10 years no claims - protected!!! Someone explain that to me!!!!!!!

This sounds like a similar thread to another on here from a few weeks back.

I left Admiral after 4 years after one of their managers confirmed (in writing too) that they do not cover optional extras (even factory fitted). They have a standard parts clause, which I guess is most likely to be invoked if your car was written off or stolen and you were claiming a total loss value. At best, they would not take into acocunt any value associated with the extras you have fitted and would base their value on a standard model. At worst, I guess they could void your policy and argue that you did not inform them of all material facts that could affect their decision to insure you or not e.g. you opted for bigger factory fit wheels on your SE model, which they would argue make the vehicle more attactive for theft. Their website is confusing as there are limited options to tick in the mods section e.g. "internal changes", but when you speak to them, they want to know everything. Admiral is the same as Elephant, Diamond and Bell Direct. I moved to Privilege who cover the options (as notified to them) at no extra cost.

I guess best option is to have them confirm in writing to you that the options you have notified them of are covered in respect of theft, damage etc.

After speaking with one of the managers at Sheila's wheels she informed me that what I was told was rubbish and my cd changer and sat nav as they were factory fitted were not mods and it was covered as part of my policy.

It shows you that most of the sales people don't know what they are talking about - best to speak to one of the managers if you can!

Juniper44 said:
After speaking with one of the managers at Sheila's wheels she informed me that what I was told was rubbish and my cd changer and sat nav as they were factory fitted were not mods and it was covered as part of my policy.

It shows you that most of the sales people don't know what they are talking about - best to speak to one of the managers if you can!

I'd get that in writing if I was you! Claire contacted her insurance company asking if she had third party cover for other vehicles and was told yes but it turns out she didn't. Thankfully she didn't have an accident!

J.

GAP insurance should cover the difference between what the insurer offers you and initial purchase price so it may be worth taking this out, but check moneysupermarket before taking up with the dealers as they will then match your best quote.

Be careful of Liverpool Victoria and ensure everything is in writing as I had a poor experience with these on a modded Mk4 Golf - but thats another story.