Knock Knock... What possibly cause the knock?

jomnhta

Reaction score
Hi guys, my 02' 8L S3 has developed some knocking noise recently and I can feel the knocking around the driver's side footwell near the pedals. Its especially stronger when rolling over bumps at slow speed and when the car is cold.

At slow speed rolling or about to come to a stop, the knock is kinda realating to the frequency of the bump. You can't feel the knock once the car is at drving speed. The knocking feeling will be getting more and more mild once drive around for 15-30min.

The top mount is new, Polybush at front lower control arm for 3 months and currently running Bilstein PSS suspension which has been installed for quite a while.

Anyone has an idea what it is? I am kinda leaning towards ARB bush or engine dogbone mount. I had my mechanic to check the tie rod and he said its not loose nor there isn't any play in it.

My guess would be ARB aswell... just had the same with mine. Also the bearing on the top mount in possible. The continuous knocking would of made me think about the lower control arm bushes as this was I problem I had. But most likely to be the ARB bushes... less than £10 to buy and fitting costs should be low.

i've got exactly the same problem, audi think it's top mounts/bearings. I've got it booked in aat APS in a couple of weeks to sort the problem. they think it could be wishbone bushes. cant wait to get it fixed, it's driving me mad!

i'll post back with the results

but as I said, I just got the top mount and bearing changed in August.