Knock Knock! Who's there? Broken spring...

Tricki

Getting into it
Reaction score
Have had random knocking from my left rear wheel for a couple of days, and it started to get more frequent today, so I checked it and the spring is broken.

So question is: can I drive the car for a few days while I'm getting new springs? Spring is broken at the very bottom, but obviously the seating is not as it should anymore:

6949142465_aaecb6bced.jpg
6949144597_a0e59146b7.jpg

6949143463_266c21ca2b_z.jpg

Does this look like it broke a week ago? Any comments from metallurgists are welcome!

(And of course any other random comment too :blink: )

i drove around unknowingly on a broken rear spring........ wasn't until my front spring went and i decided to replace all 4 that i found the rear had gone.

i think you can safely say that unless you have been driving around near the coast that the spring snapped at least a fortnight ago if not longer.....typical 45 degree fatigue breakage.......you'll be surprised how many people are driving around on broken springs unaware and also how many broken end coils you see by the side of the road!

obviously you want to get them sorted asap......just don't drive like you stole it until its fixed to be safe......maybe get a granny to drive it for you until then.

also an opportunity to upgrade springs....i see you have the lovely audi pink dots.....i went with eibach pro kit for mine....think it was cheaper than genuine audi.

also an opportunity to upgrade springs....i see you have the lovely audi pink dots.....i went with eibach pro kit for mine....think it was cheaper than genuine audi.

Yes, my thought exactly, upgrade all around when I'm at it.

By the way, I do live at the coast, and they use wast amounts of salt on the roads around here, I drove it on salted roads as late as last morning, so that may very well be only a short week of rust your seeing there....

Last edited: