50 less 49 = 1 shade of grey?

moonlight

Reaction score
So the time is almost upon me to be thinking of the next motor....ok I say almost....I will need to order by December...but it's fun thinking about it now right? (woooah Sandra countdown not required!)

It WILL be the 1.4 Tfsi COD S-Line SALOOOOON..no question....the question however is how many of you would order the same colour again?..

I love my Daytona but would really like a change but (and mainly due to the lack of numbers on the roads in these parts) I'm really struggling to fall for any of the other colours ....I once saw a red saloon and thought I'll have red ....I once saw a black saloon and thought I'll have black....I once saw a...you get the idea!.. I had no hesitation with Daytona

Again I put it to you .....would you keep the same colour if your next car is the A3?? (oh and the next one for me will have the pan roof)

I thankyou

I've never had the same colour car twice, that's switching between models and brands as well. Get something different to keep yourself entertained ;)

Reactions: Jassyo06
Nope,l wouldn't, did consider getting another white Focus St prior to getting a S3 but so glad l didn't,monsoon grey is a very nice colour,but if l get another Audi it will be in exclusive colour, something to consider as well

Knock yourself out - go riviera blue with pano roof and black pack :)

I thought about staying with Daytona but finally opted for Sepang Blue after first ordering Ibis White. I think I must be a serial colour changer as the last 6 cars we have bought go something like this

S3 - Sepang Blue
Mini - Pepper White (Cream)
8V A3 - Daytona Grey
8P A3 - Phantom black
Peugoet 107 - Red
Astra - Silver

P.s realised we have bought 5 new cars in the last 7.5 years after having the Astra for about 10 years unchanged from a few months old

i wouldn't mind trying Nardo grey,lotus grey was a nice colour and don't see many

I would have gone white for the S3, but the car I was selling was white so it had to change.

I like white saloons with black windows and pan roof :) I'm even thinking about going down to a 1.4 s-line with those and the 19" alloys. Most of my journeys out of holidays are in and around town/back and to work, so don't get to use 300bhp.

Sline

I would have gone white for the S3, but the car I was selling was white so it had to change.

I like white saloons with black windows and pan roof :) I'm even thinking about going down to a 1.4 s-line with those and the 19" alloys. Most of my journeys out of holidays are in and around town/back and to work, so don't get to use 300bhp.

View attachment 66919

Could do well in the Limo wedding buisness.......lol

So the time is almost upon me to be thinking of the next motor....ok I say almost....I will need to order by December...but it's fun thinking about it now right? (woooah Sandra countdown not required!)

It WILL be the 1.4 Tfsi COD S-Line SALOOOOON..no question....the question however is how many of you would order the same colour again?..

I love my Daytona but would really like a change but (and mainly due to the lack of numbers on the roads in these parts) I'm really struggling to fall for any of the other colours ....I once saw a red saloon and thought I'll have red ....I once saw a black saloon and thought I'll have black....I once saw a...you get the idea!.. I had no hesitation with Daytona

Again I put it to you .....would you keep the same colour if your next car is the A3?? (oh and the next one for me will have the pan roof)

I thankyou
Got to be a change IMO

Too many shades of grey Audi's on the road anyway ...
(Gets coat & leaves room, quickly lol)

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Simon L
Got to be a change IMO

Too many shades of grey Audi's on the road anyway ...
(Gets coat & leaves room, quickly lol)

.........and Sepang is as rare as rocking horse sh*t !! Lol

Reactions: Bristle Hound
.........and Sepang is as rare as rocking horse sh*t !! Lol
I am surprised it took nearly an hour for someone to say this :laugh::laugh::laugh:

PS It is on S4 saloons round my neck of the woods ;)
Don't know about these haldex, laggy turbo S3's mind ... :p:D

Reactions: Wondering Soul, veeeight, Jassyo06 and 2 others
I am surprised it took nearly an hour for someone to say this :laugh::laugh::laugh:

PS It is on S4 saloons round my neck of the woods ;)
Don't know about these haldex, laggy turbo S3's mind ... :p:D

Blasphemy!!!

Just wait 'til I see you at the lights.......I'll show you what laggy looks like!

(er, but make sure it's a straight road, us S3 drivers don't do corners) ;)

Reactions: Jassyo06, Bristle Hound and Blackwhite
I have a friend who bought a new car, same model, same colour. Nobody realised for months - so waste of money:courage:

And don't forget that everyone knows most Ferrari's are red because the go faster when painted that colour.:rockwoot:

Personally I really don't like these Audi grey colours- but we are all different.

I would definitely go for a different colour though.

But as Simon says: You won't have a problem with Bird Poo. ^
They don't like Daytona Gray! :redface new:

Last edited:
Reactions: Simon L
My wife only has white cars. A couple of cars ago I persuaded her to have a champagne colour as that was the colour of the demonstrator that convinced her to buy that model (Clio), but a few weeks after placing the order the dealer rang to say that champagne had been discontinued and would she like to choose another colour. That was her perfect get-out to revert to white. 10 or 15 years ago, salesmen would often give her a look that said "Really?" in response to her colour choice. Now, white is very popular once again.

We are thinking about an A3 cabrio for her retirement present next year. I think it looks really good in glacier, so I shan't mind white next time round. I would happily have chosen glacier for my SB (my retirement present) if that had been the only choice from stock, but as it was, misano was the only choice.

Reactions: Blackwhite
interesting....conclusion is to change....it will indeed have the pan roof and p glass so a contrasting colour will work pretty well....come to think of it the only colour I have never owned is red...spotted a red or dead saloon and attempted to pull alongside it at the lights to ask which red it was (let's not go there with the brilliant red or misano debate!) but it became a spot in the distance by the time...not sure what kind of response I would have received mind.

Local stealer had a lotus grey in stock which I spent an hour looking round (even took a short video of it)...possibly a tad bland..it was parked next to a misano SB which stole the show (it was polished to within an inch of its life)

It's now been 10 days since spotting a saloon in these neck of the woods!...a fix is needed!

@wideboybloke - happy with misano? how often do you witness the pearl effect?

Given a free choice, I probably wouldn't have opted for red. However, I wanted a stock vehicle and the only one available in my chosen spec was in misano. (It was also in Aberdeen whereas I am in Hampshire, but that's another story). I have usually gone for understated colours such as metallic greys and silver and I was worried that with a strong colour such as red, I would in time tire of it. After a year, I'm still happy with it, particularly as it polishes up beautifully and doesn't show the dirt between washes. My 8P was in deep sea blue which was very hard to keep clean and I was still at work when I owned it, so didn't have the time I enjoy now to clean it.

I don't really understand what the pearl effect is, but what I do notice is that in bright sunlight it takes on a slight orange hue and changes from a Royal Mail red to a real scarlet. It is then easy to distinguish it from brilliant red. I've got a photo that shows the orange hue but it won't upload. I think I need to put it into a different format, so I'll try that and see if it uploads.

This is the photo. It was taken in winter sun, which has a different hue to summer sun, but you can see the orange effect on the tailgate.
20150129 104921

Attachments

• 20150129_104921.jpg
    20150129_104921.jpg
    866.7 KB · Views: 274
Given a free choice, I probably wouldn't have opted for red. However, I wanted a stock vehicle and the only one available in my chosen spec was in misano. (It was also in Aberdeen whereas I am in Hampshire, but that's another story). I have usually gone for understated colours such as metallic greys and silver and I was worried that with a strong colour such as red, I would in time tire of it. After a year, I'm still happy with it, particularly as it polishes up beautifully and doesn't show the dirt between washes. My 8P was in deep sea blue which was very hard to keep clean and I was still at work when I owned it, so didn't have the time I enjoy now to clean it.

I don't really understand what the pearl effect is, but what I do notice is that in bright sunlight it takes on a slight orange hue and changes from a Royal Mail red to a real scarlet. It is then easy to distinguish it from brilliant red. I've got a photo that shows the orange hue but it won't upload. I think I need to put it into a different format, so I'll try that and see if it uploads.

The Orange tone is the Pearl effect,but l have never noticed any metallic sparkle on this paint,its still a looker though,l don't do red cars anymore,having previously had 2 red cars they are a nightmare to keep swirl free..ish one in particular Honda's Milano red...........utter Gash.
TOP 3 Audi paint colours,excluding the exclusive ones are.
1.Sepang.
2.Daytona.
3.Panther.

Do like misano. Was so tempted when I was going thro' my 'wanting a S3 saloon' era

I like the Lotus Grey myself. Am I right in thinking it's a saloon exclusive in the A3 range?

I had an Ibis White A4 before. I like the A3 in White but couldn't go for the same colour again. Lots of shades of Grey to choose from but I wanted something different. So I went for Beluga Brown!

Reactions: Blackwhite
I had an Ibis White A4 before. I like the A3 in White but couldn't go for the same colour again. Lots of shades of Grey to choose from but I wanted something different. So I went for Beluga Brown!
Very nice color, the Beluga Brown. Not too
many around, which is nice.

From those pics its looks utterly beautiful...and is the only colour that excites me..I like the fact that it changes depending on the light..I would have bet money on the saloon pics being brilliant red..so the swirling comment from jassy...is that an issue?..

From those pics its looks utterly beautiful...and is the only colour that excites me..I like the fact that it changes depending on the light..I would have bet money on the saloon pics being brilliant red..so the swirling comment from jassy...is that an issue?..

The swirls l referred to where not about Audi's red paint just my previous cars,l find my sepang blue paint to be exceptionally good for quality l don't see Misano red being any different mate, both are pearlescent

Thanks for the uploads...I understand now why it has been so difficult to distinguish between brilliant and misano...it's all about the lighting conditions...I suspect when I've seen what I thought was glorious brilliant red was in fact misano on a gloomy day..

I like the Lotus Grey myself. Am I right in thinking it's a saloon exclusive in the A3 range?
it is a nice colour......it was lined up next to floret silver also when I viewed it and but found it slightly dull in comparison and didn't do a lot for the saloon's lines..may look a little non descript on the road...it was a very bright day and I recall losing interest in it after seeing the misano red SB...having said that some of the online pics look great
IMG 4160

Nardo is a strange one.

It can look great but in certain light (as in the third pic above) I'm sorry to say it just looks like primer to me

Nardo Grey = Battleship Grey. It has an old school naval nostalgia to it.

Never mind Grey car's driving down to Newcastle Friday l saw my first black RS3 up close stunning stunning looking thing and l am guessing a black saloon wouldn't look too shabby either

Never mind Grey car's driving down to Newcastle Friday l saw my first black RS3 up close stunning stunning looking thing and l am guessing a black saloon wouldn't look too shabby either

Get back on yer sunbed you!!

Hope yer having a great time buddy ;)

Get back on yer sunbed you!!

Hope yer having a great time buddy ;)

It's tooooo warm for me here 40 degrees mate,stone cold sober into the bargain hate Egyptian beer but l will struggle on lol

I was considering Lotus Grey for my saloon, however, after seeing it the flesh, I thought it looked a little lilac in colour, and wasn't for me, so I went for Monsoon Grey, which I think makes the saloon look very classy.