BMC CDA carbon air box

lol-Goodluck with that offer Aky:lmfao: :icon_thumright:

not quite the offer i was looking for seeing as its only 3 months old and done about 800miles! Ilm looking for around £100.00 or make me an offer

because im guessin theres no actual gains to be hand from this item... better off sticking with a standard box and a performance panel filter IMO

because on my car (big turbo) when it get to high revs it collapses the air intake. Its fine on standard / remapped cars but not on mine apparantly. so i have to go back to the standard air box. Mean i dont get the noise i had but oh well!

How can the airbox cause the inlet pipe to collapse? Dont get that at all and cannot see how stock box can help?
Having said that I have heard of the BMCs causing flow issues with the IHIs maybe due to vortex flow issues from the circular box.

Does the BMC flow well and suit and Mapped S3 with Miltek? Is there no performance gains at all?

the TIP collapsing is definately not something that is exacerbated by different air intakes unless one is flowing more than another, which is something we are told isnt the case.

Well i dont know but thats what aps told me, also they spoke to MRC who are also taking all there bmc kits of there big turbo cars!

What TIP do you have Ed? Is it standard or a Forge/Samco type intake pipe? I've heard OEM are prone to collapsing

its a samco one, they had the same problem with the standard air box when i had the oem tip, but then they changed it to the samco one and it was fine. but when i put the bmc on it started doing it again!

Would this help?
turbointakepipe.jpg
Neuspeed 1.8T Turbo Intake Pipe
Designed as a direct replacement for your factory steel pipe that leads air into the turbocharger. Neuspeed's high flow design flows almost 70% more aire than the factory inlet pipe. When combined with a free-flow exhaust system, the Neuspeed inlet pipe can add up to 5hp to your engine. NEUSPEED's inlet pipe is an O.E. quality aluminum casting that retains all the stock mounting provisions -- not a crude cut-an-weld piece.

TitleAwesome Part #PriceNeuspeed Turbo Intake Pipe <2000EN-TU-18T-NEU-INTPIPE-EARLY&#163;145Neuspeed Turbo Intake Pipe 2001>EN-TU-18T-NEU-INTPIPE-LATE&#163;145

anyone tried these? It seems to be all ok now, just waiting on a standard dump valve to fit. Should be with me by tuesday then see what it makes on the rollers!

Aky said:
Would this help?

Thats not the part that collapses, as metal pipes rarely collapse :)

The part that collapses is the rubber part that attaches to the part you have in the pic above.

Normally, the Forge or Samco ones do not collapse at all, however, the Forge ones should be marginally better, maybe, as they actually designed them and sold the rights to Samco to use their design.

That said, maybe they just cant cope with the amount of air you are flowing Ed?

If that is so, then they must be suggesting that the standard airbox will flow LESS air and therefore why would they want that?

ed or anyone else have you thought about trying AEM dry filter cone. seem pretty good! not too expensive, possibly need to make a heat shield but thats easy enough!

edward_harris said:
because on my car (big turbo) when it get to high revs it collapses the air intake. Its fine on standard / remapped cars but not on mine apparantly. so i have to go back to the standard air box. Mean i dont get the noise i had but oh well!

I think someone's been telling you stories. If you have a big turbo, I'm guessing you have a silicone or metal TIP? If you're running the standard TIP, then just drop a metal sleeve in there. They will flow better than a standard airbox over 330-350bhp so you'd be best to have it mapped to suit if you're above that.

keendean said:
Does the BMC flow well and suit and Mapped S3 with Miltek? Is there no performance gains at all?

It flows as good as you'd need if you're mapped with a milltek. There's slight increases at lower rpm's, but overall the peak power figures are generally unaffected. Personally, I think it sound the dogs in my S3 but I've never really noticed any difference in my mates LCR with the same engine.

sitrials said:
ed or anyone else have you thought about trying AEM dry filter cone. seem pretty good! not too expensive, possibly need to make a heat shield but thats easy enough!

Heat sheilds never really work around airfilters. They keep direct heat away from the cone, but you're still sucking in air from the engine bay. Better off with a CAI or standard.

I had a listen to a golf with a Carbonio CAI yesterday whilst at Awesome getting my exhaust fitted. They sound a good, I can imagine a little tiresome after a while and a little chavy!

My mate has a carbonio on his Leon Cupra 20VT, it sounds like Darth Vader with a cold. Sorry but people like to throw the chav comment about as much as possible, it sounds modified and purposeful, not chavvy, the distinct noise of a atmospheric dump valve can be chavvy sometimes, depends on the car and the driver and the reason for the dump valve though

Bong Water said:
My mate has a carbonio on his Leon Cupra 20VT, it sounds like Darth Vader with a cold. Sorry but people like to throw the chav comment about as much as possible, it sounds modified and purposeful, not chavvy, the distinct noise of a atmospheric dump valve can be chavvy sometimes, depends on the car and the driver and the reason for the dump valve though
so whats better then... The Carbonio or the BMC? I also have the Forge 007p DV. Would/ will you hear that at all through these?

Only experianced BMC on Honda VTEC's so sorry I cant comment

i might be interested in it ed,for around £100 but wont be till after fri.pm me if interested in selling with the details of the kit,cheers bud

big_mo said:
so whats better then... The Carbonio or the BMC? I also have the Forge 007p DV. Would/ will you hear that at all through these?

From what I gather the Carbonio filter sits somehwere near the front bumper low to the ground then a long pipe leading to the MAF. THe BMC must use a breather pipe from a similar place to the filter that sits next to the MAF. Not sure of other differences or which is better in terms of hydrolocking. You'll hear the DV dump the air more back into the system. Its not quite atmospheric dump but its close.

Aky said:
From what I gather the Carbonio filter sits somehwere near the front bumper low to the ground then a long pipe leading to the MAF. THe BMC must use a breather pipe from a similar place to the filter that sits next to the MAF. Not sure of other differences or which is better in terms of hydrolocking. You'll hear the DV dump the air more back into the system. Its not quite atmospheric dump but its close.
Think the idea fo having the filter so low to the ground is abit funny. I mean with all this rain were getting now i am sure there is more chance of it sucking up water and getting grubby fast
I was thinking about getting the BMC.
Ages ago when i had a corsa (yes i did have 1 lol) i had a Pipper Cross Viper on it which is sort of the same as the BMC i found that really good.

danotto said:
is anyone else selling a bmc induction kit or similar.?

I'd like to swap my carbonio for a standard airbox, as I have the 3" downpipe, decat and FMIC, its just TOO loud with the Carbonio so I want to go quieter....

I've never had a BMC, so cant do a direct comparison, but since my remap the Carbonio makes the car sound totally different.

Most people get in and ask if its the 3.2 as its so loud.

Depends what you think chavvy is.

My car sounds totally different to 99% of 1.8T engined cars anyway as its had so many changes.

The Carbonio on a standard remap sounds nice, like a louder version of the standard car.