Removal of D2S S3 xenon bulb

golf

***** rent boy
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Website
jxl.co.uk
As title, how the ****** hell do you get the standard D2S fitment xenon bulb out of a facelift S3? I'm doing the passenger side first and I've removed the battery for more space but the damn thing won't budge.

Quick responses required please as it's getting dark!

Any luck with this in the end??
Anyone any tips on how to remove the black plastic bulb covers once they're unclipped?
Seem to be impossible to get out from between the back of the bulb and the washer bottle on far side and like wise between battery on near side, any tips greatly appreciated.

The black plastic that holds the bulb in, really is poorly designed. It's impossible to unclip, and then if you do manage to unclip it, it's a ****** nightmare to re-fit it correctly.

I managed the passenger side, after I removed the battery but I gave up on the drivers side, so currently have one new 5000k bulb along with my old faded 4300k OEM bulb.

Oh joy, looks like even attempting this is a no-go in the dark! Will have to be a cyclops until the weekend - I need to get both off so i can try swapping the bulbs to diagnose......! :Flush:

golf said:
The black plastic that holds the bulb in, really is poorly designed. It's impossible to unclip, and then if you do manage to unclip it, it's a ****** nightmare to re-fit it correctly.

I managed the passenger side, after I removed the battery but I gave up on the drivers side, so currently have one new 5000k bulb along with my old faded 4300k OEM bulb.

So is there much difference in brightness between the 2 then?

once u know how i found it quite easy. i have facelift headlight on my car with xenons.

The black circle clip that holds the bulb in make sure u are turning it anti-clockwise (its easy to get it muddled up as u are looking over it) u will feel it come loose and now remove it and u will feel the bulb is now free.

just note that where the bulb sits in the headlight there is a notch out of the housing that the bulb sits it and it has to be lined up with a little bit of plastic on the bulb (its very easy to see)

now simply remove the bulb and follow the steps backwards and hey presto.

i cant remember exaclty if there is a certain position the black circle clip that holds the bulb is has to be in a certain position....if u look on the face edge of the clip it has "top" written on it and i think once the clip is done up this should be at the top.

nky_84, the 5000k appear to be slightly brighter and more crisp, but how much more useable light it gives out is anyone's guess. It looks a little better too, with no hint of yellow unlike my tired 4300k which look positively knackered in comparison.

I dont suppose you can take a picture of the two different bulbs in operation?

Could be a useful way of comparing the colours of the bulbs for others.

ICE

vanilla_ice said:
I dont suppose you can take a picture of the two different bulbs in operation?

Could be a useful way of comparing the colours of the bulbs for others.

ICE

Yeah, that would be kool, but whether or not it would show up on camera could be a prob.

The difference really is marginal, but I'll try and get a pic, but as has been mentioned it will not show up on camera well at all.

The 5000k just looks a lot sharper and crisp, with no hint of yellow. The original is appalling now it looks like a halogen bulb, need to get it changed asap.

I'm quite surprised that the Xenon bulb is like a halogen one so would be interested in pics.

I've stuck PIAA Xtreme Force 4700k all round (sides, main, fogs) and still have the standard xenons in place, the car now does not have a hint of yellow. More importantly the light produced by these babies are awesome and show up the road much much better than before.

Check out this thread as the dude Buster includes pics of the sides for those interested in that colour scheme. http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=30256

Craigybaby37_A3quattro said:
once u know how i found it quite easy. i have facelift headlight on my car with xenons.

The black circle clip that holds the bulb in make sure u are turning it anti-clockwise (its easy to get it muddled up as u are looking over it) u will feel it come loose and now remove it and u will feel the bulb is now free.

just note that where the bulb sits in the headlight there is a notch out of the housing that the bulb sits it and it has to be lined up with a little bit of plastic on the bulb (its very easy to see)

now simply remove the bulb and follow the steps backwards and hey presto.

i cant remember exaclty if there is a certain position the black circle clip that holds the bulb is has to be in a certain position....if u look on the face edge of the clip it has "top" written on it and i think once the clip is done up this should be at the top.

Cheers for that, can you remove the bulbs with the black plastic covers just pushed back until they hit either the washer bottle or battery (dependant on side) then?
Think i might have been concentrating a bit too hard on trying to get them out of the equation when maybe i don't need too.