What's on your DIS

Vertigo1

Reaction score
Just wondering which display most of you leave on most of the time?

Personally I have mine on the compass most of the time. Something about the way it displays the street name all the time pleases me :) Will switch it to other modes when necessary (such as running low on fuel and need the range) but most of the time it stays on compass.

Average MPG dominates my DIS viewing. I enjoy seeing anything from 34-38 MPG for my daily commute.

I also like the digital speedo combined with checking the oil temperature every now and then.

can i get other readings other than average mpg and speed on a 05 3.2?

Its doing my head in seeing it drop to silly figures!

Cheers

The digital speedo is on mine most of the time. I've checked it against the speed display on the RNSe in engineering mode and it'a quite accurate!

Digital speedo for me too. Not sure what it is, but for some reason I find it easier to read.

Also quite handy for when I make trips to Northern Ireland. I can convert the DIS to miles so I don't go too quick (within reason of course!). My A3's analog speedo is in km\h only.

Although I do have trip computer 1 showing distance travelled since start and trip 2 showing range left in the tank, so I can get to these just by using the reset button under the wiper stalk easily without having to scroll up down on the menus.

It's amazing how reliant you get on the digital speedo. When driving other cars which don't have it I find myself looking for it in the middle if the dials every time I want to check my speed.

Miles to empty on mine.
TBH, nothing else on it is of any interest at all to me.
I never, ever, change it.
I'd happily do without it (assuming I could keep the miles to empty, that is)

Digital speedo

Check on:
Oil temp
Average mpg

Am I missing out on the compass?

I hate the average mpg because it changes so much it annoys me lol. I use the miles left on the tank display.

How do you get the digital speedo, is it an option or should I be able to get it on a 2006 06 TDI 140 S-line?

Thanks

mitch78 said:
I was wondering the same about the compass, and I do have RNS-E.

If you have the RNS-e and do not have a route the navigation currently directing you anywhere, then you should be able to select the compass by scrolling through the options with the switch on the bottom on the wiper stalk. It will show the compas direction i.e <N> or <SW> etc and also the road name of the current road you are travelling on.

stotty2 said:
How do you get the digital speedo, is it an option or should I be able to get it on a 2006 06 TDI 140 S-line?

Thanks

I think the digital speedo was introduced in 2006. If you have it then you select it by scrolling through the options by pressing the switch on the bottom of the wiper stalk.

I have an RNS-E and while the compass and current road name are useful, it's a pity that the MPG info isn't available while the RNS-E is on. To see it you have to switch it off.

mitch78 said:
No I don't get that. I'll have a play around with it later tonight, maybe it's just a setup option that's not selected at the moment. Thanks for the info though.
You have to enable the compass option on the RNS-E itself before it becomes available to select on the DIS. Go into Nav mode then hit Setup and it's in there somewhere.

Matt said:
How do you get oil temp?
You'll need the MY07 DIS with twin trip computers and digital speedo for this one.

If you have this version of the DIS then use the button under the wiper stalk to get to the menu, then use the buttons on the end of the stalk to select "check", press the button under the stalk, use the buttons on the end to select "oil temp", then press the button under the stalk.

how do you upgrade your DIS? what exactly is RNS-E? I don't have oil temp, digi speedo or compass as an option! :(

RNS-e is the Audi DVD Satellite Navigation system.
Upgrade DIS? - Don't think you can easily and even if possible I think it will be very expensive.
Digi speedo & Oil Temp? - Only on 2006MY onwards.
Compass? - Only if you have the Sat Nav system.

Does that help?

Boydie said:
does indeed thanks - anyway to upgrade to 2006 unit?
Well I would imagine it's a new instrument binnacle for starters and thats going to be hundreds. Then there will almost certainly be a fair bit more electronics.

Second hand units will probably not have the required codes required to install it. There will also be a considerable amount of recoding required.

IMO not worth it for those little extras in the DIS.

Found the oil temp and other stuff I didn't know about aswell!

What oil temp should it be getting up to before giving it any stick?

Thats odd - mine (admittedly set in F) is 212 most of the time - 100C...

What really gets my goat about the DIS is that no-one at Audi thought an electronic oil level indicator would be helpful.
So I can work out two seperate average speeds (or whatever), but I still have to open the friggin bonnet and use a poxy dipstick!
Meanwhile,the wife's £11k Clio has an electronic oil level gauge that flashes 'Oil ok' every time I start it up.
I'd gladly trade every DIS function for that.

I wouldn't like to read lots of messages at startup telling me this and that were all OK. Is should just tell you about problems, which I believe it does especially if the oil is too low. Incidentally, my wifes 1.9 TDI SE has no DIS but it does have a low oil light on the dash.

If we're going through wish lists, I'd also like oil pressure and boost pressure.

DIS is usually set to trip miles.. so I can wait to give 5 miles or so before giving it full bananas! :)

Occasionally MPG on m'way journeys or digital speedo when travelling on those derestricted roads around Europe :cool:

-Sal-

JohnS3 said:
I wouldn't like to read lots of messages at startup telling me this and that were all OK. Is should just tell you about problems, which I believe it does especially if the oil is too low. Incidentally, my wifes 1.9 TDI SE has no DIS but it does have a low oil light on the dash.

So you're happier not knowing until the oil is dangerously low?
So how about ditching the fuel gauge as well then?
Replace that with a low-level light too?
Or are you happy, in 2007, still having to feck about with dipsticks and rags?
I'm not happy with either, when a poxy electronic oil level gauge is far handier than some of the utter space-filling crap on DIS.

Audi are very good at letting you order extras.
How about offering money off, or subsidies towards other stuff, if you specify you don't want their DIS pish?
Like lumbar support, for example.
Oooh look, I can tell you my average speed...but my back hurts....

Pretty sure it would warn you if the oil was too low.

I know the RS4 doesn't tell you how much oil there is, or tell you that 'oil ok' but i know that if its low it will pop up on the DIS

consilio said:
Pretty sure it would warn you if the oil was too low.

I know the RS4 doesn't tell you how much oil there is, or tell you that 'oil ok' but i know that if its low it will pop up on the DIS

Yes yes yes, we know they all have low oil level warning lights.
But it would be nice to know BEFORE that.
As it is, it's fiddling about with a dipstick and a rag.
Which, in this day and age (on a 'prestige' car) is ********.
Same with tyre pressures, actually.
Covering yourself in brake dust in inexcusable, these days.
Seriously Audi, get basic maintenance and safety issues sorted, before telling people their average speed or average fuel consumption...

Sorry but if the car tells you when your tyre pressure and oil levels are low, whats the problem?

Perhaps it would be better if Audi wrote to you informing you of the problem, or better yet, sent a mechanic round?

consilio said:
Sorry but if the car tells you when your tyre pressure and oil levels are low, whats the problem?
Perhaps it would be better if Audi wrote to you informing you of the problem, or better yet, sent a mechanic round?

Because a warning is exactly that, a warning that things have reached a dangerous level.
It would be nice to know BEFORE that, without having to resort to friggin dipsticks and rags.
If Renault can do electronic oil gauges in a poxy runaround, Audi should do it in a £24k *premium* motor.
Unless Audi are assuming their cars don't use oil, which is a friggin joke...

LOL

So you dont think that the warning is telling you to top up at the next opportunity, but more like pull over right away, stop driving and call Audi assist before the engine blows?

bowfer said:
So you're happier not knowing until the oil is dangerously low?
I, like many others, normally dip the oil every now and again when I wash my car, it's part of car ownership, like filling the washer bottle and there's a light for that too. I doubt the oil would be dangerously low (ie component failure) before the light came on. Perhaps you could comment further as I recall your car appears to consume more than it's fair share of oil.

bowfer said:
So how about ditching the fuel gauge as well then? Replace that with a low-level light too?
I think that's taking it a bit far as fuel is consumed far quicker than oil. Although there is a low fuel light too. ;)

bowfer said:
Or are you happy, in 2007, still having to feck about with dipsticks and rags? I'm not happy with either, when a poxy electronic oil level gauge is far handier than some of the utter space-filling crap on DIS.
My point was I don't want to watch a list of "all these items are OK sir" before I drive off. I just need to know what isn't OK so I can do something about it. A light or a beep works for me.

bowfer said:
Audi are very good at letting you order extras.
How about offering money off, or subsidies towards other stuff, if you specify you don't want their DIS pish?
Like lumbar support, for example.
Oooh look, I can tell you my average speed...but my back hurts....

Money off Audis? I'm all for that. ;) :applaus: