A3 1.8T Sport 99 - New battery needed

IDUA3

In Audi Heaven
Reaction score
Is there a specific battery make/model?

Thanks guys!

The battery will have a code that you'll need to get prices, most of these 1 stop battery/tyre places will be able to check the one you need from their book.

Dont buy it from audi, guaranteed rip off.

I'd go with Bosch Silver too, 4 year warranty.
If you know anyone in the trade, get them to order it in, the mark up on cost price in most shops / factors is 100%.
I got mine for £38inc. instead of £75 by getting a mate who works in a garage to order on their account, then paid cash at the factors when I picked it up, bargain! Some people on here have got cheap batteries at COSTCO but you have to be a member.
Just make sure the new battery is rated the same amps as the old one, it will be marked on the battery, eg 60Ah.

Does anyone happen to know what battery an S3 takes? I've just left my car a fair way away at a mates house (locked) and realised I should have had a look first, only left it four ******* days and the battery is deader than JFK.

god_thats_quick said:
Does anyone happen to know what battery an S3 takes? I've just left my car a fair way away at a mates house (locked) and realised I should have had a look first, only left it four ******* days and the battery is deader than JFK.

Can't you just jump start your car and drive to a Halfrauds for a new battery?

jojo said:
Can't you just jump start your car and drive to a Halfrauds for a new battery?

Nope it's really proper twatted, if I was looking at the right code on the climate thingy it was showing 10volts even when connected to a 535d for a long while, it's been sat for 5 days in the cold which I think was the last straw.

Any ideas of which Bosch part number it is anyone, thinking of getting the silver jobbie from costco, just want to make sure I get the right one.

PS, anyone with pretty much any car don't try and out accelerate a 535d, I suspect you'll loose.

god_thats_quick said:
Nope it's really proper twatted, if I was looking at the right code on the climate thingy it was showing 10volts even when connected to a 535d for a long while, it's been sat for 5 days in the cold which I think was the last straw.

Any ideas of which Bosch part number it is anyone, thinking of getting the silver jobbie from costco, just want to make sure I get the right one.

PS, anyone with pretty much any car don't try and out accelerate a 535d, I suspect you'll loose.

Once the car is up and running, it won't require any charge from the battery, unless your alternator is ********! It would be fine to drive it once it's running, unless you stall or stop the engine.
Anyways, give yourself a good 30 minutes to change the battery when you get a new one, just ask at the counter of your local motor factor or Halfrauds, and they should supply you with the correct battery.

Yeah your car should definately still run without a battery it sounds awfully like your alternator is the culprit not the battery.

Unless you mean it just wont start again rather than stay running

Just to be clear for everyone, it wouldn't start, turned over a little to begin with, then not a sausage even after being connected to a 535d for about 20mins, the battery was not holding enough current to start the car. popped to Costco this afternoon, some money and a new Bosch Silver battery later... had a ****** trying to get it to fit in the car (which it did just) and now all is well.

The car starts quicker than it ever has and seems to have done the job.

god_thats_quick said:
Just to be clear for everyone, it wouldn't start, turned over a little to begin with, then not a sausage even after being connected to a 535d for about 20mins, the battery was not holding enough current to start the car. popped to Costco this afternoon, some money and a new Bosch Silver battery later... had a ****** trying to get it to fit in the car (which it did just) and now all is well.

The car starts quicker than it ever has and seems to have done the job.

I would say the connection between 535d and your car was crap, it should start as if it was connected to the battery of the 535d directly, diesels generally have a higher ampage battery,how could it not start?
Anyways, at least it's sorted now. :)