What is sportback 'special edition' ??

Amchlolor

Reaction score
Looking at getting car for one of the lads here (company car).
Leasing company have given us good figures on the following

"Audi A3 1.9 tdi 105 sportback special edition"

Any idea what this is,as I don't see it on the Audi website ?
Would it be the SE ?
I can't see it being the SE,as they have listed the retails price as £17175.00
The SE is more expensive than that.

Its on the Audi site under Audi offers

"The A3 Special Edition specification includes 16” alloy wheels, 4-spoke steering wheel, electric front windows and wing mirrors, remote central locking, CD player and manual air conditioning."

Matt said:
Its on the Audi site under Audi offers

"The A3 Special Edition specification includes 16” alloy wheels, 4-spoke steering wheel, electric front windows and wing mirrors, remote central locking, CD player and manual air conditioning."

Is it ?
Perfect,thanks for that.
Looks like a decent spec.

Think SE is a good £2k dearer.
I'll be lucky to swing an Audi for the young lad as it is,but the lease figure is actually a good bit better than other 'normal' cars,like Focus/Golf/Bravo.
It's a special offer Arnold Clark finance are doing.
£203 a month,which is actually only £4 a month more than his current 3 door Civic sport.

Sister in Law has that and its a very basic car, no dis, manual AC, no cruise .... it really is entry level.

IIRC The Special Edition was only a 1.6fsi. (but that was 12 months ago)

A typo perhaps?

SteveTDCi said:
Sister in Law has that and its a very basic car, no dis, manual AC, no cruise .... it really is entry level.

I'm with you there,but it's the old 'badge' thing.
The young lad would rather have a basic,105bhp A3 than a much better equipped and more powerful Focus/Bravo/Golf etc.
I think he's mad,but there you go.

The special edition is the standard spec but with manual air conitioning and about £500 knocked off a standard basic car.
To upgrade from a special edition to an SE or sport, its £500 + £2000 to the list price.

He'd be better off going used if he wants an A3, having said that there will be some cracking deals on the current Focus, I think drive the deal are knocking almost £4500 off some models. The Focus isn't the best looking car ( otherwise I would have one ) but for 13k new it makes a very good car, better still buy a 6 month old one and pay less than 10k

I agree with you Steve,but the plug whose car it will be wants 'the badge'.
We had a demo Fiat Bravo sport 150bhp diesel out here last week,for him to look at.
That is a lovely looking motor,with 18" alloys and loads of kit.
Good engine too,used in Alfa/Saab/Vauxhall.
He was in a minority of precisely one that day,as every other bloke here said he should go for the Bravo.
150bhp common rail diesel with loads of kit,or dead basis A3 with archaic 105bhp 1.9PD engine ?
No contest really,but it really illustrates the badge thing nicely.
They can chuck in any old engine and be stingy with kit,people will STILL buy them !
Not as if he has depreciation to worry about either,being a company car.
So go for the quickest one with the best kit,surely !!!!

SteveTDCi said:
He'd be better off going used if he wants an A3, having said that there will be some cracking deals on the current Focus, I think drive the deal are knocking almost £4500 off some models. The Focus isn't the best looking car ( otherwise I would have one ) but for 13k new it makes a very good car, better still buy a 6 month old one and pay less than 10k

there are good deals as they are about to facelift the focus, the new one looks very different.

New one looks like the Mondeo..... not bad but the interior is still a let down. The Bravo looks a very nice car and i'd rather a Fiat badge than having to wind up the rear windows manually !

SteveTDCi said:
The Bravo looks a very nice car and i'd rather a Fiat badge than having to wind up the rear windows manually !

It's a lovely looking motor.
Really,really nicely styled.
Nice 18" wheels too.
Honestly,I'm still left shaking my head at his decision to go for a dead basic A3,especially with the godawful 1.9PD engine and 'orrible wheels.
It's definitely the "I get an Audi as a company car" snobbery thing.
I'm tempted to pull rank and tell him he's getting the Fiat !
Incidentally,the lease figures were quite interesting.
The list prices of the basic A3 and sporty Bravo were about the same,but a fair difference in leasing costs.
A3 £232 a month.
Fiat £202 a month.
Usually,you'd expect it to be the other way around.
Higher depreciating car = more expensive to lease.
Perhaps they don't expect the dead basic A3 to hold it's value ???

we have a fleet agreement with ford which expires today, we get a set percentage and free metalic, we are just considering moving over to Vauxhall as they are putting in very strong terms, we can have an Astra on 3 years 25k a year including full maint for £220, this beats the Focus by £60 per month !

This depreciation thing is a con, My Golf cost £18000 used ( 1 year) and has a very good spec, its now 3 1/2 with 49k and its worth less than 10k. I've lost £8500 in just over 2 years, I could buy a new fiat, probably pay £10000 for a 6 month old car and it would take near on 5 years to lose £8500 !!!!! % wise the Golf has it but in pure £££ the fiat would win, badge snobery and RV has a lot to answer for.