Most reliable engine petrol or diesel

MFM

Reaction score
Looking at getting the wife an A5. She’s got a 1.4 tfsi A3 with over 180k miles on the clock and it’s been the most reliable car I have ever seen. Apart from servicing and replacing the timing chain and cam adjusters when I bought it, the only thing it’s ever needed is two drop links and a new battery. I’m sure it’s just a fluke and Audi’s aren’t usually this reliable, but I’d like the engine with the least amount of hassles.

Good luck as the more I read the more issues the newer models are having very soon in life, software is a major issue these days, but it depends on the year, 8T is fairly software proof but the newer B9 platforms & associated other chassis have random issues & reliability wise for engines it's been a bit hit & miss.

The A4 B8 & 8.5 2.0 tfsi had piston ring issues, can't recall right now if the A5 same era had the same so be careful.

Depends what you're looking for but diesel wise every council is coming down hard on them for ridiculous extra charges for parking, lez, ulez etc etc so also beware & check the tax bands & further years as it's all becoming silly now.

Good luck as the more I read the more issues the newer models are having very soon in life, software is a major issue these days, but it depends on the year, 8T is fairly software proof but the newer B9 platforms & associated other chassis have random issues & reliability wise for engines it's been a bit hit & miss.

The A4 B8 & 8.5 2.0 tfsi had piston ring issues, can't recall right now if the A5 same era had the same so be careful.

Depends what you're looking for but diesel wise every council is coming down hard on them for ridiculous extra charges for parking, lez, ulez etc etc so also beware & check the tax bands & further years as it's all becoming silly now.
That’s the problem, the petrol engines are ****. Timing chain issues, burning oil, pcv fails causing crank case pressure which blows the rear main seal out etc. So not keen on petrol, but as you say, diesel is becoming a problem.

I’m happy with an older model as long as problems are limited. My daily driver is a 2008 X5 with M57 engine which will go for half a million miles if maintained. Also a tuned 335i running 450hp and has 173k miles on the clock with no issues and original timing chain. Maybe my wife should just drive her A3 as the thing won’t go wrong let alone die. Lol. It just becoming too small.

That’s the problem, the petrol engines are ****. Timing chain issues, burning oil, pcv fails causing crank case pressure which blows the rear main seal out etc. So not keen on petrol, but as you say, diesel is becoming a problem.

I’m happy with an older model as long as problems are limited. My daily driver is a 2008 X5 with M57 engine which will go for half a million miles if maintained. Also a tuned 335i running 450hp and has 173k miles on the clock with no issues and original timing chain. Maybe my wife should just drive her A3 as the thing won’t go wrong let alone die. Lol. It just becoming too small.

I think the petrol 1.8s didn't have all the issues that the 2.0s had. I know that feeling. You just want something that's still analog enough that you can fix it yourself. As long as the body doesn't rust, these older models still have a lot of life left in them.

Really the oil consumption is starting to get sorted by the anoraks of the Audi forums. Piston soak with B12 berrymans soak as soon as it starts consuming and it is working to clear the piston rings. If you are willing to do that, it can be a good motor. Timing service always needs to be done. Audi updated the parts so it's no longer a random failure component.

Are you considering the sportback A5? I wouldn't be looking at the coupe since the back seats are not useable without the extra doors.

Last edited: