diesel or petrol

kevlibstt

Reaction score
hi , just cant make my mind up which way to jump i would prefer the 2.0tfsi 211bhp version but just a little worried about the oil consumption on these engines . i dont suppose it can be identified by the engine code ,because if i bought from a dealer/private are they going to tell me about excessive oil useage .i dont think so . so do i go 3.0tdi . whats your thoughts thanks kev looking to spend about 10.5k

I have the 3.0tdi but have never driven the 2.0tfsi but to think why i would want to. The 3.0tdi is quick, refined and economical when you want it to be and a remap gives it 280-290bhp and enough torque to turn the world back on itself!

I spent two weeks in a A4 2.0tfsi Quattro S-Tronic whilst my A6 3.0 TDi Quattro Automatic was having some work done, I do a reasonable amount of miles, around town the econ was comparable to my 3.0tdi .... But on a run it wasn't even close.
The drive around town wasn't a nice as my 3.0tdi, in my A6, you just waft along around town, where as in the A4 you have to listen to constant engine revving, a slight hill and the gearbox drops a gear and travels up it, where as in the A6 it just gets on with it and uses the torque.

As previous stated, a remap will net you around the 300 bhp mark, with a round 430/450 lbs/ft of torque, and with the right map you'll see an improvement on both econ (over standard) and drivability.

If I could get away with a coupe again I'd plump for the A5 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Tronic - best of both worlds.

Depends how many miles and what sort of driving you do really.

If you do motorway miles and a lot of them then the 3.0 is perfect, I used to get 28mpg best from the A3 2.0TFSI, but now get 38mpg and love the extra torque and power.

Imagine a 2.0 A5 would be 'nippier' than the 3.0 but the 3.0 won't take long before showing you its lovely twin tailpipes.:yes: