P0016 - what's next

Echoing

Reaction score
Having a rough time with my A4 2.0 tfsi (CDNC) recently...

Recently, I went to start the car and it wouldn't start like it usually does where you just press on the fob and let go. Instead I had to hold the key down until it started. However it still drove fine and lights came one. A few days later, engine management light came on but the car wasn't making any strange noises so I drove back home. Plugged into VCDS and it came up with error P0016 CMP sensor/engine speed incorrect correlation confirmed. However when I tried to start the engine next, it made some horrible rattling sounds and stopped. As I didn't have time to dig deeper (I'm in the process of moving home to a different city at the same time) I got it recovered to a garage (Wheelbase Garage in south west London ).

Heard back from them today - said they checked it and there's no compression in any of the cylinders so they're saying likely the valves will be all bent. They haven't taken the engine apart yet and wanted to confirm whether I want to proceed.

What would you guys suggest - is it time to scrap the car, is it worth asking the garage to investigate further or maybe it would be worth seeing about getting a replacement engine?