Tyres

musicegbdf

Reaction score
Hi , haven't been around for a while. Bought my S3 new Nov 2015 and still loving it. Best car I ever owned, and longest ownership.
The only pain is kerbing wheels. With neatly 9 years of minor damage time to bite the bullet. Going to get it done soon as need new tyres all round. Currently have Michelin pilot sport on the car.
I am looking to see what the opinion of current tyres on the market is. Particularly those with rim protection.
It is on 18" , ( 225 40).
I am inclined to stay with Michelin, but would be interesting to see what others think.
I still think it is an amazing car and really held its value. I already have people that want to buy it from me if I ever change. So far the new S3 I find too aggressive in style. I like to stay fairly subtle. I could be tempted by the golf R if they get rid of stupid controls and that stupid stuck on ipad on the dash. I can see me stay with my S3 ( only 42k miles) for a lot longer
So time to give it a bit of love.

Hi , haven't been around for a while. Bought my S3 new Nov 2015 and still loving it. Best car I ever owned, and longest ownership.
The only pain is kerbing wheels. With neatly 9 years of minor damage time to bite the bullet. Going to get it done soon as need new tyres all round. Currently have Michelin pilot sport on the car.
I am looking to see what the opinion of current tyres on the market is. Particularly those with rim protection.
It is on 18" , ( 225 40).
I am inclined to stay with Michelin, but would be interesting to see what others think.
I still think it is an amazing car and really held its value. I already have people that want to buy it from me if I ever change. So far the new S3 I find too aggressive in style. I like to stay fairly subtle. I could be tempted by the golf R if they get rid of stupid controls and that stupid stuck on ipad on the dash. I can see me stay with my S3 ( only 42k miles) for a lot longer
So time to give it a bit of love.
You can probably find more info in other tyre threads, but my vote would go to Michelin PS5. As for the 8.5 Golf R (yes, VW have replaced the awful infotainment system in the new FL Golf), I don't think it will be much more subtle than the new FL S3. And the R won't even be officially revealed until late summer so you would probably be looking at early next year to get your hands on one. Staying with your trusty S3 seems like a no-brainer.

Thks. Yes , I have concluded to hang onto it. Think I will treat myself to a tom tom as Nav well out of date.
Thks did consider PS5. Does it have much rim protection . So at least light brushes with kerb won't damage my wheels ? Thks

If it’s rim protection you’re after, Pirelli P-Zeros. I hit a pothole back in December, blew out the front and egged the rear. It was pitch black darkness and I had to drive about 3/4 of a mile on a flat front tyre just to be able to see anything, the rim completely survived. I find these great to be great summer tyres but I run Bridgestone Blizzaks from around November to April.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Wibbly
I've owned my S3 from new and always stuck with P zero's the rim protector is second to none

Reactions: Wibbly
I have PS5s on mine and the rim protection is non existent, the factory fitted P Zeros I had previously had excellent rim protection, i‘ll switch back to these next time around.

Re the P-Zeros, I don’t know if it makes any difference but I made sure they were ‘A01’ as fitted by Audi.

956b8144d0d473e52d2a5bfc9db0c6cb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's (AO) P-Zeros from me too. I use them all year round. Have noticed when they wear (but not completely worn out), they make a sound that convinces me a wheel bearing is shot. I think all tryes do ths to some extent.