How can I remove this mark on plastic above air vent?

Jason1987

Reaction score
I’ve had this mark since I got the car brand new and can’t seem to remove it. I assume it was just a water mark or a mark from the cleaning products they use on car when getting it ready for collection but I can’t get rid of it. I’ve used water on a microfibre cloth and also used auto finesse “total” interior cleaner but no luck

Attachments

• IMG_5231.jpeg
    IMG_5231.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 253
  • IMG_5230.jpeg
    IMG_5230.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 103
If you can't get it off by using a wet microfiber towel, the plastic may have faded a bit there, especially if someone wiped too hard at it.

If you can't get it off by using a wet microfiber towel, the plastic may have faded a bit there, especially if someone wiped too hard at it.
Oh that’s annoying. It was brand new so not sure what they would have done on pre delivery clean as they only give it a quick once over don’t they? As it should mostly be clean as brand new. I was hoping it’s a product stain where it’s been sprayed but not wiped in and then it’s dried, but thought the stain would come off unless I need something stronger

Oh that’s annoying. It was brand new so not sure what they would have done on pre delivery clean as they only give it a quick once over don’t they? As it should mostly be clean as brand new. I was hoping it’s a product stain where it’s been sprayed but not wiped in and then it’s dried, but thought the stain would come off unless I need something stronger
Most PDI's are done very quick - Number Plate, Take it out of transport mode, take out the transport blocks from the suspension - Not much time for cleaning - You'll be surprised how dirty they are though

My salesman I knew very well and when the car came in he'd take me round it - Been on a boat, then a car transporter, people in and out of it - some panels are covered but not all of them - Basic seat covers

A few people on here used to take it as was if they could and take it straight to a detailer - A lot of dealers won't let you though

Take it back if brand new and see what they say

Most PDI's are done very quick - Number Plate, Take it out of transport mode, take out the transport blocks from the suspension - Not much time for cleaning - You'll be surprised how dirty they are though

My salesman I knew very well and when the car came in he'd take me round it - Been on a boat, then a car transporter, people in and out of it - some panels are covered but not all of them - Basic seat covers

A few people on here used to take it as was if they could and take it straight to a detailer - A lot of dealers won't let you though

Take it back if brand new and see what they say
I might try some of my all purpose cleaner again first as it’s a bit extreme to go to dealer for that mark. It does look like a stain from when you spray cleaner on dash and don’t wipe it, but not sure why it’s not really coming off so far.

I might try some of my all purpose cleaner again first as it’s a bit extreme to go to dealer for that mark. It does look like a stain from when you spray cleaner on dash and don’t wipe it, but not sure why it’s not really coming off so far.
Have a chat with a local detailer they might be able to help or sort it for you - sure it wouldn't cost much

I suggest a little bit of Isoprophyl ( surgical spirit ) on a j-cloth , dab it on and gently wipe not just in that area but also around it. Go gently to see if it lifts whatever is on there. If it does then dry the area with a clean microfibre .

Barkeepers friend will remove that in an instant. It's relatively cheap from B&M / The Range

Alcohol worries me a bit as doesn’t that burn? I remember it used to mess up cd cases (made them go all misty) when I used it to get sticker marks off years ago lol

I’d take it straight back to the dealer to sort - not clear but from the pics it looks more discoloured than a remaining residue from a previous cleaning attempt.

The longer you leave the more likely the dealer will deny all responsibility

Reactions: vatdim
I’d take it straight back to the dealer to sort - not clear but from the pics it looks more discoloured than a remaining residue from a previous cleaning attempt.

The longer you leave the more likely the dealer will deny all responsibility
The dealer wouldn’t be able to do much would they? Unless that vent is a piece that can be easily replaced

The dealer wouldn’t be able to do much would they? Unless that vent is a piece that can be easily replaced
Replacing it would exactly what I would be looking for them to do - assuming you can’t sort it yourself then your going to stuck with it and it’s going to irritate you everytime you get in the car.

Reactions: Sparks43
I don't think it's a cleaning issue, more like discoloration issue in production, mine has also smaller stripes on another place on the dashboard, that are
visible at certain angle of the light, I did not make any warranty claim because it not visible most of the time.

I don't think it's a cleaning issue, more like discoloration issue in production, mine has also smaller stripes on another place on the dashboard, that are
visible at certain angle of the light, I did not make any warranty claim because it not visible most of the time.
Saying that, On the passenger door handle which is the same plastic, in some light I can see some streaks of lines. Is this just how the plastic is on the a3 and not really something to complain about? The one on the vent does look like an annoying stain though

Saying that, On the passenger door handle which is the same plastic, in some light I can see some streaks of lines. Is this just how the plastic is on the a3 and not really something to complain about? The one on the vent does look like an annoying stain though
We should complain, this should not happen in the car that has a price tag of 40.000 €, I was at the dealer and showed to them, but also told them that we'll not do anything because only thing that can be done is to change the new dashboard, and I don't want to do that on a new car! In my case it is small and near the pillar and visible when it is really sunny and at certain angle, in my case I can live with that.

We should complain, this should not happen in the car that has a price tag of 40.000 €, I was at the dealer and showed to them, but also told them that we'll not do anything because only thing that can be done is to change the new dashboard, and I don't want to do that on a new car! In my case it is small and near the pillar and visible when it is really sunny and at certain angle, in my case I can live with that.
That’s the same for me with the vent, if they did do anything, I’d have to book it in and have car torn apart as I doubt it’s easy to just change the vent surround

That’s the same for me with the vent, if they did do anything, I’d have to book it in and have car torn apart as I doubt it’s easy to just change the vent surround
I know how frustrating this is, I also have the right door panel rattling noise, which dealer have to solve!

I've had some rattles and resonances and my local Audi dealer has done good job dealing with them under warranty. Even though I've given them smallish issues one after another, they have really dug into them and resolved them. They recently changed the door seals which were rattling during cold weather, when lubing them didn't help. The new seals don't rattle.

I still think the car feels overally sturdy. No constant noises when driving bumpy roads or cobblestone streets. On those the Golf Mk7.5 I had before the 8Y was like everything was little loose or less tightly bolted together.

This ended up being some dried on gunk that came off with my finger. It didn’t come off with a cloth but my finger had more friction. I was thinking it was a defect in the plastic

So instead of trying to rub it off in the first place you wrote seven posts about it on here?
:tearsofjoy:

So instead of trying to rub it off in the first place you wrote seven posts about it on here?
:tearsofjoy:
lol no I used interior cleaner and a microfibre several times but it obviously didn’t have the friction a finger does

Reactions: JKP