A3 8P owners -- when was your first starter motor replacement?

AbsoluteA3

Reaction score
I'm the original owner of my 2007 A3 8P and I'm a few thousand miles away from the 100k milestone. I've started to encounter flaking starting situations. The last car I had for a very long time (13 years, over 170k miles) required a new starter motor at about the 10 year mark, around 150k miles. The symptom was when cranking, the starter motor would cut out. Cranking again would turn it and the car would start. Replacing the starter motor solved the problem. From what I learned then, the starter motor brushes wear out and start creating intermittent contact. And if you let it continue like this, eventually the brushes completely fail and there's no way of cranking the engine.

My A3 is starting to have this exact same problem. The starter motor will sometimes faulter and stop cranking before the engine turns over. But if I try again, the next rotation of the starter motor gets the engine going. While starter motors are supposed to last between 100k to 150k, I imagine age has something to do with it as well.

I'm just curious as to how many folks here have also had to replace a starter motor and at about what mileage.

Ciao! Io ho cambiato il motorino di avviamento, credendo fosse quello il problema di un'accensione difficoltosa, a 290k km. Però funzionava ancora bene e la macchina ha quasi 14 anni