RS3 service - all-wheel drive coupling

Jacob79

Reaction score
Hello all.

Someone posted a screen-shot of the "additional work"-service schedule on their Audi RS3 8Y in another thread which I unfortunately cannot find now. I have attached the screenshot to this thread. I am curious about the service item called "all-wheel drive coupling - oil change" which should apparantly be changed every 3 years regardless of mileage. The funny thing is, this item does not exist for my car when I open up the Audi App. All other items match those on the screenshot attached. So my question is basically, what is it, and is it an error that it does not exist in the service plan for my car? When I asked my dealer about it, he had no clue and just told me he does not see the item in his system.

Thanks for any help in clarifying

Attachments

• RS3 service.png
    RS3 service.png
    190.1 KB · Views: 269
I'm afraid it is the Haldex system
674bec02fd34ad3123154019dda2f840.jpg

Last edited:
Someone posted a screen-shot of the "additional work"-service schedule on their Audi RS3 8Y in another thread which I unfortunately cannot find now.

Here you go :icon thumright:

No Haldex on the 8Y RS3,

8V RS3 and other 8Y quattro cars but not the 8Y RS3

Reactions: 8YARWY
674bec02fd34ad3123154019dda2f840.jpg

lol get your facts correct before posting

Rear coupling is a Magna one, not Haldex

The two are different systems.
IMG 4826

IMG 4827

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello all.

Someone posted a screen-shot of the "additional work"-service schedule on their Audi RS3 8Y in another thread which I unfortunately cannot find now. I have attached the screenshot to this thread. I am curious about the service item called "all-wheel drive coupling - oil change" which should apparantly be changed every 3 years regardless of mileage. The funny thing is, this item does not exist for my car when I open up the Audi App. All other items match those on the screenshot attached. So my question is basically, what is it, and is it an error that it does not exist in the service plan for my car? When I asked my dealer about it, he had no clue and just told me he does not see the item in his system.

Thanks for any help in clarifying

40k miles
IMG 4958

Thank you Master. I apologize for my lack of knowledge. Rest assured it won't happen again

If you’re going to reply with winking then at least have correct facts to back yourself up.

Here you go :icon thumright:

No Haldex on the 8Y RS3,

8V RS3 and other 8Y quattro cars but not the 8Y RS3

Worst of all there’s no filter on the Magna rear Diff, which makes me think how quickly this rear clutch oil is going to murk up from clutch wear because of how active the packs are.
I’d say rear coupling changes need to be way more frequent, I’ll be doing a change once the weather improves a bit.

Will post a how to on here to document it.

Reactions: janjan, Mike.46 and flybynite
Worst of all there’s no filter on the Magna rear Diff, which makes me think how quickly this rear clutch oil is going to murk up from clutch wear because of how active the packs are.

I thought the same when going from the Haldex IV to the V, losing the proper filter in the IV and earlier but the Haldex oil in mine seemed to do a good job of holding it in suspension. If there a no big chunks coming off then you should be OK with a frequent oil change (when has it ever been good to follow the manufacturers schedule)

I will do all mine again in 5K to see what comes out and then probably 10K thereafter (car only does about 5K/year) that seems about right being half the Audi interval on the front bevel box :smiley:

Reactions: 8YARWY
So is the - Selective wheel torque control: renew coupling oil = awd coupling and clutch oil?

I saw this and it’s confused me as my app doesn’t show awd coupling oil

IMG 2491

I plan on doing the following services but need clarification on the SWTC/AWD/Rear diff

Front diff/bevel box - 20k miles
DSG - 40k miles

Thanks

I thought the same when going from the Haldex IV to the V, losing the proper filter in the IV and earlier but the Haldex oil in mine seemed to do a good job of holding it in suspension. If there a no big chunks coming off then you should be OK with a frequent oil change (when has it ever been good to follow the manufacturers schedule)

I will do all mine again in 5K to see what comes out and then probably 10K thereafter (car only does about 5K/year) that seems about right being half the Audi interval on the front bevel box :smiley:
Yes this Magna relies on a worm drive motor mounted on each side to act on the clutch packs, whereas as you know the Haldex uses the clutch pump to apply fluid pressure for engagement.

Yes this Magna relies on a worm drive motor mounted on each side to act on the clutch packs, whereas as you know the Haldex uses the clutch pump to apply fluid pressure for engagement.

Yeah I saw the change in mechanism, it is why I thought the Magna might be a bit more robust as there is no pump to clog and fail. If the oil gets full of crap then not a huge problem other than a bit of a hit to lubrication and heat transfer. Changing the oil regularly has still got to be good though.

Reactions: Mike.46 and 8YARWY
Had my car in at audi for warranty work( front sensor) and they came back to me saying
Bevel box gear oil due £165.77