2014 RS5 Tyres

Nfn3174

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently purchased four new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S for my 20 inch wheels. The front now feels light and ‘floaty’. I don’t like it. I like the previous planted feel.

Has anyone else experienced this with these tyres? I am now reading that it can be a characteristic with the tyres.

is anyone running the Continental Sport contact 6 or 7s?

Going to check them in then morning but I am now reading that its a characteristic of the tyre.

How long have they been on? Most tyres will feel like that for maybe couple of hundred miles until they are 'scrubbed in' especially against old tyres with no depth of tread.

The Michelin do have a fairly soft sidewall and more compliant ride, but for me they take the harsh edge off the unnecessarily hard suspension many Audis have.

I have them on the RS3 and the car feels nothing but planted, wet or dry. Night and day from the OEM Pirellis. The car does feel a touch lighter on the PS4Ss than the winter tyres but I like that rather than feeling like I am hauling it round every bend.

How long have they been on? Most tyres will feel like that for maybe couple of hundred miles until they are 'scrubbed in' especially against old tyres with no depth of tread.

The Michelin do have a fairly soft sidewall and more compliant ride, but for me they take the harsh edge off the unnecessarily hard suspension many Audis have.

I have them on the RS3 and the car feels nothing but planted, wet or dry. Night and day from the OEM Pirellis. The car does feel a touch lighter on the PS4Ss than the winter tyres but I like that rather than feeling like I am hauling it round every bend.
Just had them put on today and had the alignment carried out. I have just checked the tyre pressures (whilst cold) and none of the four tyres were correct. Usual sloppy service in the UK. I have done a baseline as per the Audi recommendations. 36 front. 32 rear. My previous Bridgestones were set at that. I shall give them a chance but they have definitely made the steering lighter. I preferred the solid feel I had before where I could feel the feedback from the tarmac. I don’ t like the loose and light steering. That’s what put me off the V6 and I went back to the V8. They have adjusted the tracking and there is no more juddering whilst manoeuvring on full lock. Do you know where you can get the official Audi alignment specs? I don’t trust Kwikfit.

Yes the Michelin can be considered a bit softer than others but IMHO that is not what you are feeling. ALL new tyres feel like that until scrubbed in, that is what you are feeling 100%

People purposely shave tyres to get the best response and performance. You are effectively going from a shaved tyre to a full tread tyre and the Michelin has some of the deepest tread depth. (one of the reasons they last) added to which you are still riding on the casting marks and not the full tread.

They need a couple of hundred miles sensible driving to work as they should, you should always be careful on new tyres for that reason.

Alignment can be found in the ErWin manuals "Running_gear__axles__steering" I don't have them for the RS5. I would get on ErWin with your VIN number and pay the tenner or so and download the manuals for your specific car.

Shouldn't be necessary though, find a good independent garage or tyre place with a Hunter system, they tend to know how to use them