Brake fluid reservoir cover removal

audiwaterpump

Reaction score
This black part covers the brake fluid reservoir, can it be easily removed?
It just makes it awkward to see the fluid level in the reservoir.

I've already removed the beauty plastic cover that fits on top of the engine.

Attachments

• AudiA4-B8-Brake-Fluid-Reservoir-Cover.jpg
    AudiA4-B8-Brake-Fluid-Reservoir-Cover.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 194
I'm just looking at that picture and can see what it takes to remove it... if you can't than you should ask someone that is more mechanical minded to remove it for you.

The hole in thecleft hand side of the cover shown in the photo is to allow the fluid level to be checked.

if you still need to remove it Its secured by a bolt at the front (bottom) which needs to be undone.

Reactions: audiwaterpump
Here’s one that’s been removed

IMG 4401

This black part covers the brake fluid reservoir, can it be easily removed?
It just makes it awkward to see the fluid level in the reservoir.

I've already removed the beauty plastic cover that fits on top of the engine.

It probably can be removed, but the cap has an electronic level sensor so the car will tell you when it's low.

It probably can be removed, but the cap has an electronic level sensor so the car will tell you when it's low.
Level sensor sits on the cap not the cover... it can be removed without a problem.see the picture of the cap loosen that torn screw and it can be removed once you u clip the other parts... it's not rocket science.

I meant to say torx bolt (on mine it was a torx bolt it could be an L-key bolt also)

I'm sure that I managed to work out an angle/position to shine a bright light against the reservoir to allow you to check/find the present fluid level - then remove the cap to see how low the level is from looking down into the reservoir, from then on just use that as an indication, from memory, the bottom of the sieve should be just covered in brake fluid - but check that I'm correct before assuming that.

Reactions: northpole and audiwaterpump
I've changed brake pads on other cars and I've never seen a brake fluid reservoir so concealed.

Yes, if I fiddle about and hold the artificial light at a certain position then I can see the fluid level, and that's fine for a simple check.
However, I plan to change the rear brake pads in the near future, so when I'm pushing back the piston into the caliper I want to be able to quickly and easily see the brake fluid level.

That metal cover is thick and substantial. Not even sure why it's there, other than to make diy-ing difficult. Just like the dipstick tube with NO dipstick in it. :yes:

Reactions: northpole
Level sensor sits on the cap not the cover... it can be removed without a problem.see the picture of the cap loosen that torn screw and it can be removed once you u clip the other parts... it's not rocket science.

I didn't mean that removing the cover takes the sensor away. I was saying that the sensor in the cap tells you when it is low and that is why there is no need to see the reservoir.

The bolt is located here. It only needs to be loosened a small amount, then cover will lift up.

I've only now understood why OP would like to see it (for the pad change). I can see an inspection port on the cover in the picture below as well. On the bottom.

image.png

Reactions: audiwaterpump and northpole