Windscreen washer fluid very slow to come out

Rc1938

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have now owned my car for just over a month and I have had this issue with the washer fluid since I bought it. Basically, it takes at least 3 seconds for any fluid to come out when I pull the stalk and sounds the same as my old car did when it was running low on screenwash (which it definitely isn't as I keep topping it up!). Occasionally the wipers even start going before any fluid comes out..

Also on the left hand side there is 2 streams of screenwash but on the right hand side there is 3, is this how it is supposed to be or is my problem all along just that something's blocked/not connected?

Is this just how the A3 is or is it something I should probably get sorted by Audi when I can be bothered to take it?

Reactions: MightyDog007
Hi all,

I have now owned my car for just over a month and I have had this issue with the washer fluid since I bought it.
In my experience, the windscreen wipers starting before the spray is (unfortunately) normal. (My driving instructor, of many years ago, would not have approved!)

As far as the spray shape is concerned, someone mentioned elsewhere that it is supposed to be a fan pattern. I’ve owned my car for a few years now and it sprays three jets per side, some of which are aimed too high and which does not seem to be adjustable. I have a feeling that the spray heads might be prone to clogging Did you buy your car second hand RC1938? Anyone else experienced this?

Reactions: Rc1938 and Sparks43
Three seconds sounds too long. I haven't paid much attention to the washers at all, which refers to them acting normally. Would have noticed if it took that long to reach the windscreen.

Only once I've had problems with the washers. That was because I had too mild mix of water and the washing fluid and it started to freeze all of a sudden. It also pushed the headlight washer arms out a bit, because the watery fluid expanded when it got colder. Thankfully it didn't break the pump.

In my experience, the windscreen wipers starting before the spray is (unfortunately) normal. (My driving instructor, of many years ago, would not have approved!)

As far as the spray shape is concerned, someone mentioned elsewhere that it is supposed to be a fan pattern. I’ve owned my car for a few years now and it sprays three jets per side, some of which are aimed too high and which does not seem to be adjustable. I have a feeling that the spray heads might be prone to clogging Did you buy your car second hand RC1938? Anyone else experienced this?
Ah thats not good,

As I briefly mentioned, I have 2 jets on the left (which spray more in lines rather than a mist) then 3 on the right which spray in more of a mist fan pattern across the windscreen (probably how its supposed to be). I'm wondering if maybe my left jets are blocked or something.

Its a brand new A3, 1 month old and has been like this since it was delivered :( (although as its new covered under warranty so may be worth me popping to Audi anyway I suppose)

Three seconds sounds too long. I haven't paid much attention to the washers at all, which refers to them acting normally. Would have noticed if it took that long to reach the windscreen.

Only once I've had problems with the washers. That was because I had too mild mix of water and the washing fluid and it started to freeze all of a sudden. It also pushed the headlight washer arms out a bit, because the watery fluid expanded when it got colder. Thankfully it didn't break the pump.
Yeah, they definitely seem to take longer than feels normal (although I am used to it being practically instant for the front at least). Suppose it won't hurt me to pop into Audi

You're lucky it didn't break the pump, think I've heard that's quite an expensive issue!

Generally for me (95% of the time) its pull stalk, 'hear' the motor, screenwash arrives on screen and maybe half a second later, the wipers start moving its way up, it wipes damp/wet windscreen like it should. However there are other 5% of times where I pull the stalk, motor runs, but screenwash only arrives after the wiper is already done it's 'upwipe.' Never knew why that was, nor know what level my screenwash bottle is at. In terms of clogging, never had it on last two cars, but had it on a Seat Ibiza. It was my Sonax Nano screenwash that had turned to goo inside somewhere. I didn't think possible, until I noticed a 2 month old bottle of mixed screenwash, and that had bits of 'jelly-goo' there. If your car is parked outside, maybe due to freezing temperatures things may have clogged due to screenwash freezing? Myself I use Autoglym and Prestone screenwash generally regular mix, but now that it's cold, might top up some stronger winter mix there.
@AdamInKent I did ask my OH to look closely at the passenger side when I pulled the stalk, and she said that there is a not so distinct (3 spray lines) but it is spread/diffused very well in between the '3 line' sprays and a bit even sprays off the windscreen onto the 'no wipe zone.' Like the spray bottle where you can select, single line, or diffused mode. This is more diffused mode, but there are still 2 corners and a middle 'spray.' Maybe when I'm driving and looking (plus wind) can't see the 3 lines from inside.

Reactions: Rc1938 and AdamInKent
I never actually paid enough attention.... I'll have a check tomorrow. Mine are often quite inconsistent jets

I always use the VW Screenwash (Litre bottles from parts or online not the 500ml display case ones as they are double the price for half the liquid) to stop the Jelly Goo which they recommended when they introduced Fan Jets on the Golf

My 8V Audi I changed the Jets to Fans - I think it's the A6 ones that are an exact fit and they use a small Torq Screwdriver to adjust rather than the Needle - Make sure you get the heated ones though - Very easy to change out from under the bonnet they just pull out and then you swap the pipes and multiplug over and clip back in - I think the 8Y ones are the same as the 8V as well but forget to take them out when I traded in the car

Hi all,

I have now owned my car for just over a month and I have had this issue with the washer fluid since I bought it. Basically, it takes at least 3 seconds for any fluid to come out when I pull the stalk and sounds the same as my old car did when it was running low on screenwash (which it definitely isn't as I keep topping it up!). Occasionally the wipers even start going before any fluid comes out..

Also on the left hand side there is 2 streams of screenwash but on the right hand side there is 3, is this how it is supposed to be or is my problem all along just that something's blocked/not connected?

Is this just how the A3 is or is it something I should probably get sorted by Audi when I can be bothered to take it?
I think this is very much an A3 design issue rather than a fault with yours. I've had the same issue since I got mine in 2021 and raised it to the dealer but they said it was normal.

On the first press/spray mine usually takes a few seconds before the water comes out and the blades definitely run dry on the first pass. This often doesn't happen if you pull the stalk a few minutes later as the tubes are probably full of water so I personally think it's a combination of a weak motor pumping the water and the lack of a delay in the wipers moving.

With regards to the jets I have three water streams on each blade so if you've got two on one side I'd say one jets blocked. I often unclog mine and readjust the direction every few months with a pin.

Reactions: Rc1938