Turbo removal - how to remove cat / DPF / front pipe

kudi009

Reaction score
A3 2.0 TDI engine code CBAB

Hi all, been trying to remove the turbo / exhaust manifold to replace gaskets, I've managed so far by just loosening the cat / DPF / front pipe and working around it, and I'm at the point where it's just exhaust manifold nuts holding everything in place now. I've spent hours trying to get at them but I think it's impossible with the cat in the way.

I've read a lot of guides but they all seem to gloss over exactly how the cat / DPF / front pipe assembly is supposed to come out. I assume through the bottom rather than the top, but there's a driveshaft in the way, plus I'd have to bend the flexible section at about 90 degrees, plus there's some pipes near the top of the cat which I can't manouvre past the exhaust manifold.

You can see on the part diagram below that the cat / DPF and front pipe is all one big assembly. I think on other models the cat / DPF is clamped to the pipe. I'm not sure how you would remove this without removing the driveshaft and subframe, and dropping it straight down.
Dpf

Can anyone give some pointers on exactly how to get this thing out of the engine bay so I can remove the turbo / exhaust assembly?

Last edited:
So by taking off one of the mid-exhaust clamps, I could let the front exhaust section hang free (resting on the bar below) and then pull the DPF down & backwards, giving me plenty of access to the exhaust manifold bolts.

I think if you actually wanted to remove the DPF you'd need to also remove the driveshaft.

Reactions: ahtcap