S5 (2014) Mild Vibration / rough idle.

nickaudi41

Reaction score
I just picked up a 2014 3.0T S5.

61350 miles

It’s had regular services.

The car pulls well, no obvious misfire under load but there’s a subtle vibration / rough idle.

It occurs in park, neutral, drive and sport mode.

No warning lights on the dash.

It did have a fault code for the PCV which stupidly I deleted without taking a picture (didn’t have my phone at the time) just to see if the code would return. So far it has not.

I’ve changed the spark plugs and was thinking about changing the coils to the newer versions which was advised by MRC when before mapping.

I’ve had the car for a week and will keep an eye on the oil and coolant levels but neither seem to be going down so far.

There’s no browny gunk (water / oil mixing) under the oil cap and the cap isn’t difficult to get off which from doing some research can be a sign the PCV is faulty.

I also put a full tank of 97 fuel to make sure there wasn’t some rubbish fuel in the tank.

Does this just sound like the PCV is possibly faulty or are there other things I can check / do before I go that route?

Any help would be greatly received.

You'll need a diagnostic scan. Usual symptom of PCV failure is excessive vacuum at the top of the engine - how hard is it to remove the oil filler cap whilst the engine is running?