2020 Audi A3 8Y - Steering knock

agpe2023

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've recently noticed on my Audi A3 8Y 35 TFSI Saloon that when turning the steering wheel at low speeds from lock to lock and lock to center that I can hear a knocking/popping noise that sounds like it comes from the front of the vehicle.

It doesn't happen all the time, only on occasions whereby I have to steer from lock to lock repeatedly at low speeds, such as navigating multi-storey car park ramps, and occasionally turning around in car parks. I suspect the noise is coming from the steering rack but I'm not entirely sure. I can't seem to replicate the issue with steering input at higher speeds and I've got no knocking anywhere in any other driving scenario.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I've booked it into my Local Audi Dealership for an inspection and I've managed to record the issue on video (which I'll post on here and provide to Audi).

On another somewhat off topic note, I can't believe how many issues we've had with our December 2020 build Audi A3 8Y. Me and my partner purchased the car in May 2021 with 500 miles on the clock, with the vehicle supplied by an Audi Dealership. So far after covering 25,000 miles we've had MHEV Drivetrain and software issues throwing the car into limp mode, issues with the reversing camera and MMI system freezing, Audi connect subscription and app problems, ongoing issues with the Bluetooth Handsfree microphone which Audi can't fix, and recently the climate control buttons stopped responding and had to be replaced under warranty. To top it off, I've now got this issue.

Has anyone else had a really rough experience with their 8Y or am I one of the unlucky few? Trying to stay positive here.

On another somewhat off topic note, I can't believe how many issues we've had with our December 2020 build Audi A3 8Y. Me and my partner purchased the car in May 2021 with 500 miles on the clock, with the vehicle supplied by an Audi Dealership. So far after covering 25,000 miles we've had MHEV Drivetrain and software issues throwing the car into limp mode, issues with the reversing camera and MMI system freezing, Audi connect subscription and app problems, ongoing issues with the Bluetooth Handsfree microphone which Audi can't fix, and recently the climate control buttons stopped responding and had to be replaced under warranty. To top it off, I've now got this issue.

Has anyone else had a really rough experience with their 8Y or am I one of the unlucky few? Trying to stay positive here.
Seems to be frustratingly common story about the MY21 cars. I got rid of mine becuse after a full year of ownership they still hadn't got some of the early problems fixed, and there was always something new coming up. Newer ones are proper quality.

Funny though, during the full-year wait of the new car, the old one did a lot better than before that. Just few randon quirks and the ones that never got solved. So I have a spark of hope the early cars can be fixed to the point they are tolerable. Just insist the dealer to do everything under warranty.

I have the same issue and have been to the dealer five times for it. My springs also squeak at certain temperatures when on a bumpy road, which started happening after the dealer attempted to fix the knocking issue. Very annoying.

Hi all,

I've recently noticed on my Audi A3 8Y 35 TFSI Saloon that when turning the steering wheel at low speeds from lock to lock and lock to center that I can hear a knocking/popping noise that sounds like it comes from the front of the vehicle.

It doesn't happen all the time, only on occasions whereby I have to steer from lock to lock repeatedly at low speeds, such as navigating multi-storey car park ramps, and occasionally turning around in car parks. I suspect the noise is coming from the steering rack but I'm not entirely sure. I can't seem to replicate the issue with steering input at higher speeds and I've got no knocking anywhere in any other driving scenario.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I've booked it into my Local Audi Dealership for an inspection and I've managed to record the issue on video (which I'll post on here and provide to Audi).

Hi agpe2023,

Did you ever find out what the issue was? I've recently purchased a 2021 A3 8Y and noticing a similar knocking sound when turning the wheel to full lock at low speeds. Seems to be coming more from the front drivers side wheel area, have also noticed when going over speed bumps (if the front driver wheel goes over first) I get a knocking sound, could be related. Are you able to share your video?

Thanks!

Matt

Hi agpe2023,

Did you ever find out what the issue was? I've recently purchased a 2021 A3 8Y and noticing a similar knocking sound when turning the wheel to full lock at low speeds. Seems to be coming more from the front drivers side wheel area, have also noticed when going over speed bumps (if the front driver wheel goes over first) I get a knocking sound, could be related. Are you able to share your video?

Thanks!

Matt

Apologies, I forgot to update this thread.

My Local Audi Dealership investigated the issue, under the three year Audi warranty. They informed me that the issue I had reported was a known issue with the A3 8Y, that they had similar complaints from other A3 8Y owners, and that it was provoked by the top mount assemblies on the front struts. They took apart the front strut assemblies and reapplied grease to stop the noise but told me that if this failed to resolve the issue, they would replace both top mounts on the front strut assemblies.

So far, so good. Video of the noise included below.

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/H2ELusxJiFA

Sorry to jump in, I get a knocking sound gping over speed bumps seems to be from drives wheel area, cars only done 5000 miles. Not as loud as the video above though
I just wonder if its related to the top mounts mentioned above ? Nothing on full lock in either direction

I've funnily enough booked mine into the dealer next month to have this looked into. Mines a March 2022 build. It only clunks when turning right on full lock

I've funnily enough booked mine into the dealer next month to have this looked into. Mines a March 2022 build. It only clunks when turning right on full lock
Did you have any luck at the dealers? Do you have a clip of the noise? Mine is going in next month for investigation, get the occasional knock on full lock manoeuvring slowly such as reversing or going into a parking bay.

Mine is a March 2021 build & seems to be only knocking on turning right

Did you have any luck at the dealers? Do you have a clip of the noise? Mine is going in next month for investigation, get the occasional knock on full lock manoeuvring slowly such as reversing or going into a parking bay.

Mine is a March 2021 build & seems to be only knocking on turning right
I picked the car up on Friday after their fix. They've lubricated a part of the suspension. Low and behold it's made no difference. So it's back in next month for another look.

I will grab a video on the weekend

I picked the car up on Friday after their fix. They've lubricated a part of the suspension. Low and behold it's made no difference. So it's back in next month for another look.

I will grab a video on the weekend
They've done this to my car as well. After that, they replaced something in the suspension (don't know what exactly). After which the noises an squeaking became much worse. Finally they just replaced the entire suspension.

Here is the noise I'm experiencing. More of a "knock, knock, knock" as the wheel is turned (seems to only be during centre > right or right > centre)

Sometimes get a loud bang once full lock has been reached but hasn't done this on any videos, more common when it's colder outside than it currently is.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkMrqw9ifexFgd4XzcrRohvywqatYg

Is this noise similar to what any of you guys are experiencing?

Thanks

Sorry for the delay in posting. I didn't grab a video but the car went back in today and this was their findings:

Thank god for warranty!

Reactions: 8YARWY
Here is the noise I'm experiencing. More of a "knock, knock, knock" as the wheel is turned (seems to only be during centre > right or right > centre)

Sometimes get a loud bang once full lock has been reached but hasn't done this on any videos, more common when it's colder outside than it currently is.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkMrqw9ifexFgd4XzcrRohvywqatYg

Is this noise similar to what any of you guys are experiencing?

Thanks
Could anyone have a look at my link & the videos there to see if their noise is the same as mine? Would be greatly appreciated. The loud bang is happening more often now on full right lock. Has been into the dealer & had the grease applied to top mounts & shocks, still not sorted it. Back in currently and apparently greasing the wishbones, not holding much hope that this will sort the issue. Really interested to know if any of you that have had a fix had the noise sound like mine?

Many thanks,

Matt

Could anyone have a look at my link & the videos there to see if their noise is the same as mine? Would be greatly appreciated. The loud bang is happening more often now on full right lock. Has been into the dealer & had the grease applied to top mounts & shocks, still not sorted it. Back in currently and apparently greasing the wishbones, not holding much hope that this will sort the issue. Really interested to know if any of you that have had a fix had the noise sound like mine?

Many thanks,

Matt

It’s hard to tell from your videos but mine sounds exactly like Agpe2023’s video

Had my car back after the steering rack replacement and happy to say it’s now fixed :)

Had my car back after the steering rack replacement and happy to say it’s now fixed :)
Has your noise remained gone now? 2 visits to the dealership 1st greasing shocks & bump stops & 2nd greasing the wishbone bushes has still not made a difference. They seem reluctant to actually start changing parts, don't think grease will stop this noise :pensive:

Has your noise remained gone now? 2 visits to the dealership 1st greasing shocks & bump stops & 2nd greasing the wishbone bushes has still not made a difference. They seem reluctant to actually start changing parts, don't think grease will stop this noise :pensive:
Yeah it's totally disappeared now :) They greased a lot of stuff before finally agreeing to replace the steering rack.