B8 Avant DAB Aerial Connection

the_ace1982

Reaction score
Found the issue with my DAB reception (hopefully) any idea for reconnecting these connections to the window aerial? Wary of getting the soldering iron out in case I burn the aerial out, perhaps i’m better fitting an aftermarket aerial

IMG 6758

The solder pads bonded to the window have come off with the wires so using an iron won’t work. After market May be the way to go. The DAB aerial in my 2012 8.5 is definitely in the shark fin btw

Thanks Bob, do you know if the shark fin uses the same amp? I could retro fit a shark fin to mine its bound to be better for reception too!

Oops a stone flicked up of the road & smashed my glass..........

The glass isn't that much lol.

I'm not involving insurance companies for the sake of a solder connection, i've found a shark fin on ebay in the right colour so just need to figure out how it connects to mine now and i'm all set

I've done more reading and it seems the shark fin is not the DAB aerial which makes sense as the connections are different, i'm going to try taking the car to an autoglass workshop and see if they can reconnect it

Shark fins don't do dab that I've found, it's all rear windows or cabs have an antenna sheet in the hood lid.

Honestly you would be best to make a glass claim, nudge nudge, it's the easiest option.

So is the shark fin the phone aerial? I've seen other cars the same age as mine with them. I'm going to see an auto glass place see what they recommend i'm pretty confident it will stick back on save claiming insurance and re tinting etc

As someone stated, it's pulled of the solder pads with the wire, chances of getting that to solder again are very slim, I've tried it, you maybe lucky, but imho you're making life harder, glass cover is £75 -£100 excess, rest they pay for & that glass can cost upto £400, subject to chassis etc.

Shark fins do gps, phone, remote heater, Nav, they don't generally do dab, given it doesn't really have the space to utilise a dab antenna design, too short realistically, dab antennas have 2 legs so to speak, 1 long one short, check Google images for dab antenna design.

I would use insurance because that glass got cracked by road debri...............

The way I see it I have nothing to lose by attempting a repair, excess plus increased premium plus tint would be my last resort, will be an awkward angle to get in and solder but nothing to lose by trying it

The tracks would probably burn out, it's so thin it's almost impossible to repair these once the pads have snapped of.

Certainly ask the question as it's free, but I'm not positive it will be possible.

The tracks would probably burn out, it's so thin it's almost impossible to repair these once the pads have snapped of.

Certainly ask the question as it's free, but I'm not positive it will be possible.
When the new amp arrives i'll give it a go, failing that its new window time unless I can work out a shark fin type solution

There are aftermarket fins with quite poor antennas, I tried one myself & it was just a coax with the inner & outer separated, as per dab antenna design one short one long, it's not good enough tbh, you'd be best to get new glass, problem solved, the amount of time spent on this would easily qualify that route.

If the soldering doesn't work, don't waste your time on fins imho, you need the OEM system.

Reactions: JohnS3
If you have an Avant the TV antenna connections are in the other side of the rear quarter glass on the C pillar. The solder pads are on the glass but no wires connected. Wires are connected in the same sequence black, yellow, red when viewed from the top. There is also a mounting point for the antenna amp. Might be worth a try to see if it restores reception, if it works move the DAB amp and get a short Fakra extension to link to the original DAB cable.

If you have an Avant the TV antenna connections are in the other side of the rear quarter glass on the C pillar. The solder pads are on the glass but no wires connected. Wires are connected in the same sequence black, yellow, red when viewed from the top. There is also a mounting point for the antenna amp. Might be worth a try to see if it restores reception, if it works move the DAB amp and get a short Fakra extension to link to the original DAB cable.
Awesome I was wondering what that antenna did! Taht could save a lot of hasssle thanks i'll give that a bash and update

You have an avant? Yes?

I meant the same piece of glass on the drivers side. DAB antenna is on the drivers D pillar. TV would be on the C pillar if it was fitted. You posted a pic of the passenger side C pillar amp with 4 wires from the glass.

And a close up showing the TV amplifier 8K9035225J in place on C pillar but not yet connected.

Antennenverstaerker 5498905509407128912

Ah apologies i'm with you now i'll pull that trim off and check for that today, cheers!
You sir are a legend! Fitted the new dab amp and connected to the TV aerial and it works better than ever! Iowe you a few pints for that bud thanks very much!

Was the coaxial cable long enough or did you extend the 3 single wires.

Was the coaxial cable long enough or did you extend the 3 single wires.
Where do you live bud? I'm due you beers! I ran a 3 core cable from the TV antenna round to the existing location for the DAB amp to keep it where it should be. Great fix and soldering onto the blobs of solder on the TV side was easy enough. If Carlsberg made diy repairs haha

Reactions: JohnS3