Car insurance up !!

cooperp

Reaction score
Hi all,
Apologies if this has been discussed before, thought I read something but can't find the thread.

Insurance renewal time, I usually go via Moneysupermarket but this year its gone up from 500 to just over 1000quid. 53yr old, no points, no crashes, full NCB, live in a decent area, etc...
What are you guys doing, anyone got any suggestions...?
I've not tried Adrian F or Direct L yet but in the past they've not been that great.

RS3 8Y, not surprised at all given how well sought after for theft these cars can be, Iike range rovers, insurers are refusing to, due to so many thefts.

Hi all,
Apologies if this has been discussed before, thought I read something but can't find the thread.

Insurance renewal time, I usually go via Moneysupermarket but this year its gone up from 500 to just over 1000quid. 53yr old, no points, no crashes, full NCB, live in a decent area, etc...
I've not tried Adrian F or Direct L yet but in the past they've not been that great.
Not being rude pal but try Saga.
Mine’s £700 with class 1 business use, 52, no points, no crashes, full NCB and a Manchester Postcode.

Reactions: Basher (Peter) and rngDeadeye
Hi all,

Average car insurance premium is up something like 40%.
Only thing you can really do is shop around to find the best deal because the price is dependant on so many things.

Not being rude pal but try Saga.
Mine’s £700 with class 1 business use, 52, no points, no crashes, full NCB and a Manchester Postcode.
I know 53 is mildly old, but that's a decent shout to try Saga !

Hi all,

Adrian flux were £2k over the price comparison sites. The cheapest for me was Audi insurance, try them.

Reactions: cooperp, NevMan and garethdj
Hi all,

Try SAGA. They were the best quote for us by far. Car will be registered in my wife's name with me named driver. Parked on driveway, 5k miles per year, £64k value, protected NCB. 11+ years NCB, no points, no convictions, SDP use, European cover etc. etc. We are both older drivers though which may have made a difference. £390 :yahoo:

Adrian flux were £2k over the price comparison sites. The cheapest for me was Audi insurance, try them.

I went with Audi direct, having had a similar experience to you. Mine came in at £520, I’m 52 live in a decent area but have 3 points

Reactions: RS03??? and Dnwc
Hi all,

Reactions: cooperp and Daggerit
I went with Aviva this time around - £640 compared to £511 last year.

I tried Saga they wanted £1200 off me lol.

The insurance industry is taking a hammering at the moment due to a number of factors - EV's, a certain medical experiment that was in some cases forced on the world's population leading to sudden deaths, single vehicle accidents and massive payouts against life insurance policies.

The days of cheap insurance are over.

Hi all,

Hi.
Hopefully this year we can help out with a competitive quotation.
Regards,
Dan.

Saga quoted 1174 !!!
This is a sad situation. Never been this bad. Blame on Truss, Quasi, Putin, and the Chinese.
I'll try the others.....

Hi.
Hopefully this year we can help out with a competitive quotation.
Regards,
Dan.
I think when I asked for a quote it was way over £1k and with my last renewal being £450 it didn't make any sense to go with you unfortunately. I don't understand where these numbers come from given I'm pushing 40 with like 15+ years no claims and in a very low risk postcode. And others are like £500 less. It wouldn't be so bad if the variance was a couple hundred quid, but the differences are ridiculous.

Reactions: Frankel
Those with an immobiliser system fitted, is your insurance premium less? I’m just wondering if it’s worth the additional outlay or just let it go and never see it again.

Tried Saga, with my details, actual NCD of 20+ years, 60+, in a E band post-code. quoted £2500+. Just mindless.
Sticking with existing at £800. Was £450 previous year, £300ish before that.

Reactions: Daggerit
Hi all,

I’m with Audi insurance… 52, full no claims, I’d say average area and it’s jumped from £450 to £750, but the £750 was still the cheapest, the next being just over 1k

Most car insurers use dynamic pricing with multiple factors being used to generate a quote. They also use price and different brands to attract certain types of business but then place limits on the amount they are willing to underwrite at a certain cost. These limits are kept under constant review and adjusted according to claims experience and profitability of the overall book and/or particular market segments.

Once the limits are reached the price goes up even if your circumstances remain the same which can also result in your renewal premium being increased even if you have not made any claims.

Some of the factors used are more obvious than others, points on licence!, type of cover, car excess, location etc. Others are not including how far in advance you are looking to insure the car from where the closer the quote is to policy start date the more expensive it becomes (bit like buying airplane tickets) with the optimum period for the cheapest being around 3 weeks before a policy is due to start.

it also pays to call your insurance company when you get the renewal - quite often they can find a way to reduce the renewal amount quoted

Reactions: drgav2005
I’m with Audi insurance… 52, full no claims, I’d say average area and it’s jumped from £450 to £750, but the £750 was still the cheapest, the next being just over 1k
Tried Direct line and that won't even insure me !!! 53yrs old, full everything, and no anything!
The insurers are taking the **** this year, jumping on the bandwagon with all the others. The excuse....cost of living increases.

Most car insurers use dynamic pricing with multiple factors being used to generate a quote. They also use price and different brands to attract certain types of business but then place limits on the amount they are willing to underwrite at a certain cost. These limits are kept under constant review and adjusted according to claims experience and profitability of the overall book and/or particular market segments.

Once the limits are reached the price goes up even if your circumstances remain the same which can also result in your renewal premium being increased even if you have not made any claims.

Some of the factors used are more obvious than others, points on licence!, type of cover, car excess, location etc. Others are not including how far in advance you are looking to insure the car from where the closer the quote is to policy start date the more expensive it becomes (bit like buying airplane tickets) with the optimum period for the cheapest being around 3 weeks before a policy is due to start.

it also pays to call your insurance company when you get the renewal - quite often they can find a way to reduce the renewal amount quoted
Sorry mate, but that's all rubbish this time round.
This smells of cartel like work.

Tried Direct line and that won't even insure me !!! 53yrs old, full everything, and no anything!
The insurers are taking the **** this year, jumping on the bandwagon with all the others. The excuse....cost of living increases.
Yeah, jumping on the band wagon….. I’ve been with Audi since 2019 when I bought a rs3 sport ed. it was £500 and they had a offer that it wouldn’t rise for 3 year, got the 8y and it dropped to £450, but just renewed with Audi at £750, it was the cheapest I could find, it’s a **** take but if I want to drive it I’ve got to pay it, don’t think any insurance is cheap now

I think when I asked for a quote it was way over £1k and with my last renewal being £450 it didn't make any sense to go with you unfortunately. I don't understand where these numbers come from given I'm pushing 40 with like 15+ years no claims and in a very low risk postcode. And others are like £500 less. It wouldn't be so bad if the variance was a couple hundred quid, but the differences are ridiculous.
Hi.
I'm sorry we weren't able to offer you a competitive quotation.
Regards,
Dan.

I'm with Swiftcover
Last year £581
This year 1528
30 years NCB
I'm 49 - no points.
No points
I do have a fraudulent claim sitting on my policy (i got CCTV footage to prove claim was fraudulant but still ongoing almost 2 years later). But that was on my account last years.

Just done GoCompare £1064 with £1000 excess Quote Me Happy!

Time to go through this thread and try the various companies.

I had to settle at 1089 thru previous insurers Swiftcover.
Last year and pretty much all previous 5yrs in a from new RS3 was 500ish.
Unbelievable! It's gets worse, so the quote from Swiftcover came 3weeks ago, I tried the usual moneysupermarket, as I unusually do, and I couldn't get below 1000. Also tried Direct line (they wouldn't insure me! unless I had more of theirs), tried Swinton 1690, tried allsorts, and nowhere near below 1000.
Then 3days ago I tried moneysupermarket again and the lowest was 1580 !!!!!!
Hence I had to stay with the current insurer, which I never do!
Definitely something wrong with car insurance right now.

• Angry
Reactions: RS03???
conspiracy theory: Are the days of shopping around dead and snuffing the like of moneysupermarket compare online services. Just a thought,

The other things is the excess. Usually i got for £250 excess but everywhere wants £1000 excess and if they don't, you pay through the nose.

Best so far is Audi Insurance at £850 with £1000 excess!

And multicar is a joke (i have an old X5 too).

No wonder you see so many e-bikes firing about!

Reactions: DangerMouseUK and Kevmoz
I just renewed with Aviva.

Last year I was with AXA for £515 and this year they wanted £1140… Aviva did the same cover for £746 which I still think is ridiculous given the cost last year. 37 years old with 14 years no claims in a good postcode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DangerMouseUK
I read somewhere that the sweet spot for checking premiums is about 21 days prior to renewal. I would think the theory is the closer to renewal you will HAVE to buy and they keep pushing up the premiums. Those that are due to renew in the next few months start checking and keep checking.

My daughters renewal came in at £1800 this year. Double last years. 18yrs old on a Fiat 500.

They're having a laugh.

We paid under £400 last year with the AA and the renewal came back at £1700! Even shopping around, the best I can get is £700 from Sterling via Meerkats. There must be some bad stats on these cars since last year. I got renewal quotes on 2 other cars of similar performance and neither had moved much. Bizarre.

We paid under £400 last year with the AA and the renewal came back at £1700! Even shopping around, the best I can get is £700 from Sterling via Meerkats. There must be some bad stats on these cars since last year. I got renewal quotes on 2 other cars of similar performance and neither had moved much. Bizarre.

I think it’s across the board generally to be honest. Our second car is a 2011 Skoda Superb 1.4 TSI base model and we paid £160 last year and the renewal was £390. Mental stuff. Needless to say we shopped around rather than renewing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: M3 Convert
I looked and couldn't get below 1000, which was double last years price.
Cartels and bandwagons !!!

I think it’s across the board generally to be honest. Our second car is a 2011 Skoda Superb 1.4 TSI base model and we paid £160 last year and the renewal was £390. Mental stuff. Needless to say we shopped around rather than renewing.
Agree - it's not just the RS3.

My TTRS policy, taken out in May, was £350. Roughly the same it has been for four years. When I got the RS3 quotes through the best was just over £600 so for the sake of curiosity I undertook a re-quote on the TTRS. Very similar prices as the RS3!

Just had to renew my wife's Toyota, was £316 last year, renewal came in at £598.
Renewals are automatic, so rang (being friendly), got it down to £502, then queried (being dumb), why the cost has increased so much ?.
Response: General cost has gone across by 34%. So sort of queried why, the revised cost is 60% now...(being mathematical) .
Then the schedule was re-run..now £440.
could have pushed for more.. Still high, saved £160 only, if I commit now. So did commit.