Installing an S3 grille on an A3 S-Line

audi8y2021

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I initially posed a question off-topic on another thread and thought it would be more appropriate to start a new discussion here.

Recently, I discovered an appealing A3 S3 grille, without the S3 badge, which has chrome details (refer to attached picture). The part number is 8Y0853651C, though I noticed other colours with the same part number, which makes me uncertain about its accuracy.

Upon reaching out to the seller, I was informed that two more components, termed "closing pieces/elements", are essential for fitting this grille to an A3 S-Line (sportback). However, he was unable to provide the part numbers for these components. My subsequent research led me to some diagrams that seem to depict these exact parts.

(the part just below the headlight, shown here once, but is installed two times in the vehicle (right and left) and have slightly different part numbers)

(number 11, shown here once, but is installed two times in the vehicle (right and left) and have slightly different part numbers)
This brings me to two main (and one extra) questions:

1. Are the "closing pieces/elements" different for the Audi S3 and the Audi A3 S-Line? Essentially, is the S3 grille compatible with the A3 S-Line?
  2. Is there any difference between a strictly S3 grille (with S3 badge) and a grille labelled as an A3 S3 grille (without S3-badge)? I've observed both "S3 grille" and "A3 S3 grille" descriptions and am curious about their distinctions. My challenge lies with the parts websites, which don’t clearly differentiate between the A3 and A3 S-Line.
  3. Just out of curiosity; what is part 12 on the picture? It is called a "trim" with part no. 8Y0-807-837. Is this on all S-Line models or is it also S3 specific?
Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I initially posed a question off-topic on another thread and thought it would be more appropriate to start a new discussion here.

Recently, I discovered an appealing A3 S3 grille, without the S3 badge, which has chrome details (refer to attached picture). The part number is 8Y0853651C, though I noticed other colours with the same part number, which makes me uncertain about its accuracy.
View attachment 269872
Upon reaching out to the seller, I was informed that two more components, termed "closing pieces/elements", are essential for fitting this grille to an A3 S-Line (sportback). However, he was unable to provide the part numbers for these components. My subsequent research led me to some diagrams that seem to depict these exact parts.
View attachment 269873
(the part just below the headlight, shown here once, but is installed two times in the vehicle (right and left) and have slightly different part numbers)
View attachment 269874
(number 11, shown here once, but is installed two times in the vehicle (right and left) and have slightly different part numbers)

1. Are the "closing pieces/elements" different for the Audi S3 and the Audi A3 S-Line? Essentially, is the S3 grille compatible with the A3 S-Line?
  2. Is there any difference between a strictly S3 grille (with S3 badge) and a grille labelled as an A3 S3 grille (without S3-badge)? I've observed both "S3 grille" and "A3 S3 grille" descriptions and am curious about their distinctions. My challenge lies with the parts websites, which don’t clearly differentiate between the A3 and A3 S-Line.
  3. Just out of curiosity; what is part 12 on the picture? It is called a "trim" with part no. 8Y0-807-837. Is this on all S-Line models or is it also S3 specific?
Hi everyone! I was wondering if maybe someone has some more insights on this matter. My car is currently at the shop, had an accident, we are all okay luckily. But the grille is being replaced and I can also go for the S3 grille. Just need to make sure it fits.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Hello everyone,

View attachment 269872
View attachment 269873
View attachment 269874

Hello, did you finally manage to put the grille of the Audi S3 8Y on the A3 8Y? Tell me more about it. I want to make this modification for mine. I look forward to your answer.

Regards

For your information, this particular grille without the S3 badge is most likely just the A3 45 TFSIe S Competition grille.

For your information, this particular grille without the S3 badge is most likely just the A3 45 TFSIe S Competition grille
You're right I just saw on the official Audi website in the model configurator and the tfsie finished competition have the S3 grille without the logo. I want to imagine that it fits perfectly for the A3 8Y any grill that is of this model. At the official dealership they didn't know how to tell me if it's compatible. I gave them the frame number and it didn't say if it was compatible or incompatible. That it was a matter of asking for it and once he arrived to assemble it and see if it works for him.

I have ordered the grille of the Audi S3, as soon as it arrives I'll tell you more

I have ordered the grille of the Audi S3, as soon as it arrives I'll tell you more
You are lucky to be able to order it, as in the UK you can only order parts to the spec. of your car chassis number, so you wouldn't be able to order an S3 grille if you had an A3.

You are lucky to be able to order it, as in the UK you can only order parts to the spec. of your car chassis number, so you wouldn't be able to order an S3 grille if you had an A3.
Here in my official dealer, there is no problem I can order any part and they don't put any problems. I will update you shortly on the whole process. I still have a front camera adapter and a part that arrived that is not the expected one. I think that soon I will be able to mount the S3 grill on my A3 8Y. I tell you it is not only the GRILL, it is also LOWER FRONT BUMPER GRILL and UPPER FRONT BUMPER GRILL. In my case I also have to order the parts to fit the front camera. I will tell you more soon. If it has worked for me I will detail all the references.

Reactions: audi8y2021
I was curious can we also fit the rs3 grill on A3 non s-line? I found online a look alike rs3 grill and they claim it fits a3 non s-line and s-line.

I was curious can we also fit the rs3 grill on A3 non s-line? I found online a look alike rs3 grill and they claim it fits a3 non s-line and s-line.
I came to see this grill that fits with Audi a3 and is very similar to that of the rs3
There is a video on YouTube of how they assemble it.

The holes in the sensors are missing, but I have practically managed to put the s3 grille on my a3 sline including the front camera adaptation
IMG 6861

Nice mods !

So you have changed only the grill, or you have also changed the lower and lower back bumper grill ?

Thx ! I do not know why so few people are speaking about this mods. It's the best one to put the 45TFSIE grill on this A3.

Nice mods !

So you have changed only the grill, or you have also changed the lower and lower back bumper grill ?

Thx ! I do not know why so few people are speaking about this mods. It's the best one to put the 45TFSIE grill on this A3.
I also don't understand how there is so little information and how no one in any forum has done this mod. I ventured to be the first and want to document everything.

To change the grill, I also bought the top and bottom of the grille. In total, it was approximately €800 in pieces. If anyone is interested, I can pass on the references of the pieces.

For the 360 front camera it was necessary to adapt the grille and trim it to be able to assemble it but it was great, it's part of the process.

In the part of the rear bumper, don't change anything since I think they are the same pieces.

The next thing will be the trunk spoiler (sedan), maxton design diffuser. In the future I plan to make a stretch of the complete exhaust line along with a power upgrade.

Yes thats crazy.
Thank you for the info.

If you have the whole references of the items, it will be perfect. There is such reference for the same pieces.

Thx