Washing car advice

jgs911

Reaction score
I used to always take my cars to a local car wash but now starting to learn the ways of doing it myself with the aid of youtube since I got the RS3.. there is something more enjoyable about doing it yourself.. my views might change in the Winter!!

For those of you who wash your own RS3, which products are you using for alloys and body?

Reactions: Daggerit
I used to always take my cars to a local car wash but now starting to learn the ways of doing it myself with the aid of youtube since I got the RS3.. there is something more enjoyable about doing it yourself.. my views might change in the Winter!!

For those of you who wash your own RS3, which products are you using for alloys and body?
It's a minefield... :tearsofjoy:

Personally though, I do the following for a proper clean (I'm no detailer though!):
  • Citrus prewash
  • Rinse
  • Wheel cleaner/iron remover for wheels, clean and rinse
  • Snow foam
  • Rinse
  • Shampoo wash, using two buckets. One for the soapy water and one for rinsing your mitt so you're avoiding putting as much grit back in the soapy water.
  • Rinse
  • Dry using a good towel (mine is from Sam's detailing and is excellent) or a blower if you don't want to touch the car
  • Wipe down the door sills
  • Tyre shine
I may have missed steps but that's a general routine. I'm sure others do it completely different and will likely add clay bar, polish and wax on that list but I got mine ceramic coated so don't bother with that.

Hope that helps a little bit at least.

Reactions: RS03???, LayZ_Pz, flybynite and 3 others
Have a look at slims detailing online, they offer a massive range and you can call and speak to a detailer for help and advice. I’ve been using Auto Smart stuff for a while and use Red7 for the wheels as it’s Ph neutral. Ive started using Bilt Hamber snow foam recently with good results. Just make sure your washmit is clean and get a decent drying towel.

Reactions: itsbigyellow, johnnycend, jgs911 and 1 other person

Look on youtube for forensic detailing, it will be more information than you could ever wish for :friendly wink:

Mind you 90% goes out of the window when you have a hose-pipe ban for most of the summer. :grumpy: Back to 2-buckets already

FWIW I like BiltHamber stuff, British made, sensible prices, work well and not much BS about them

Reactions: RS03???, jgs911 and Kevmoz
It's a minefield... :tearsofjoy:

Personally though, I do the following for a proper clean (I'm no detailer though!):
  • Citrus prewash
  • Rinse
  • Snow foam
  • Rinse
  • Shampoo wash, using two buckets. One for the soapy water and one for rinsing your mitt so you're avoiding putting as much grit back in the soapy water.
  • Rinse
  • Dry using a good towel (mine is from Sam's detailing and is excellent) or a blower if you don't want to touch the car
  • Wipe down the door sills
  • Tyre shine
I may have missed steps but that's a general routine. I'm sure others do it completely different and will likely add clay bar, polish and wax on that list but I got mine ceramic coated so don't bother with that.

Hope that helps a little bit at least.

Mine wash is similar but only use one bucket as I hope it’s more or less clean prior to hand washing (also ceramic coated). As you say, it’s a minefield and I’m no detailer either but it looks so much better than when the dealership washes it!

Reactions: jgs911 and Daggerit
Thanks a lot all, good helpful information - prewash was what i was missing in my arsenal so gotta pick that up and hopefully give it a go tomorrow to help lift off the grime!

• Citrus prewash
  • Rinse
  • Snow foam
prewash was what i was missing in my arsenal so gotta pick that up and hopefully give it a go tomorrow to help lift off the grime!
The way I always understood it, snow foam is a pre-wash. The FD youtube channel did a couple of vids about 'rinsing before snow foam' and 'pre-washing your pre-wash' :friendly wink: Interesting if you are bored enough :smile new:

The way I always understood it, snow foam is a pre-wash. The FD youtube channel did a couple of vids about 'rinsing before snow foam' and 'pre-washing your pre-wash' :friendly wink: Interesting if you are bored enough :smile new:
I know what you mean, I've just found that the citrus prewash takes more of the road grime and any oily stuff off and the foam takes more of the dirt off before contact wash. Used to just foam it but can now see the difference after trying the prewash so have stuck with it. Probably not required but it puts my mind at ease. :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: flybynite
I know what you mean, I've just found that the citrus prewash takes more of the road grime and any oily stuff off and the foam takes more of the dirt off before contact wash. Used to just foam it but can now see the difference after trying the prewash so have stuck with it. Probably not required but it puts my mind at ease. :tearsofjoy:
I might have to give it a go as I cant use the karcher now we have a ****** hosepipe ban, but I started using the Bilt Hamber touchless over the winter and it shifted everything in one go including bits of small plant I have, done well so far.

This is a truly limitless subject. I have seen some guys in this forum take it to the next level and their cars look amazing. I try and find a middle ground between washing up liquid and a full detail. IMO product is key and the detailing websites people have recommended are good, my favourite is slims but I am a CarPro fan. So at risk of being shot down, pressure wash, bilberry wheel cleaner, trix on the bottom of the half of the car every other wash, good insect remover at this time of the year, wash with a good product, rinse, take off the excess water with a blade, spray with a detailing spray, and dry it properly with a quality drying towel. 90 mins elapsed, and I am happy, it will look good, but not to the standard I see here, but one I am happy with and befits a premium daily driver

This is a truly limitless subject. I have seen some guys in this forum take it to the next level and their cars look amazing. I try and find a middle ground between washing up liquid and a full detail. IMO product is key and the detailing websites people have recommended are good, my favourite is slims but I am a CarPro fan. So at risk of being shot down, pressure wash, bilberry wheel cleaner, trix on the bottom of the half of the car every other wash, good insect remover at this time of the year, wash with a good product, rinse, take off the excess water with a blade, spray with a detailing spray, and dry it properly with a quality drying towel. 90 mins elapsed, and I am happy, it will look good, but not to the standard I see here, but one I am happy with and befits a premium daily driver

Each to their own of course but you won’t find a blade anywhere near my cars! Scratch city but if all you want is a clean car and not too bothered about swirls then fair play.

That being said my dad washes his with a brush, he can’t understand why I go to the effort I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kevmoz, itsbigyellow, Frankel and 1 other person