S3 NSF Knocking

Jdean99

Reaction score
Hi all, new member here!
I recently picked up a 2017 8v S3 Saloon. After a few weeks, I started getting a clunking when going over bumps from the near side front.

Inside the car it sounds like a dull thud, but with the window open, outside the car there is a very metallic noise. (See video)

I have taken the car back to the garage I purchased it from twice. The first time, they could not hear the noise themselves but replaced the drop links as there was some play in them. This did not resolve the issue.

Then, the second time they admitted something wasn’t quite right but they were still unsure what was causing it. Apparently, there is no sign from the usual suspects of suspension and brakes that anything is wrong. Their only suggestion was a potential faulty shock or top mount, but there was nothing visibly indicating this.

Before we go down that route, does anyone recognise this noise? It happens intermittently at any speed when going over bumps or rough sections of road. Car still drives spot on, as far as I can tell.

Could be numerous things, arb, springs, links, wishbones, bushes, top mounts, shocks, subframe, rack, unfortunately it's one of those faults that unless obvious will need parts changed.

Assume bumpers all tight?

Pop bonnet. Get glamorous assistant to turn the steering wheel lock to lock with the engine running and listen to the strut top mount. If it's anything like mine was when I had those same symptoms, you'll hear the bearing groaning and squealing. I had no issues after it was replaced.

Thanks both,

Front shocks replaced under warranty, sorted the issue.

Reactions: steverobertsbbc