Help Please Sludgy coolant tank and milky oil cap

Cin.

Reaction score
Bought the car from dealer 1 day ago. Could this be a coolant or oil leak? Coolant should be red and yeah i think there is a leak. 3 months warranty from dealer. Could this be covered?. On cold start, temp gauge just drastically go up to normal temp in just 3min which is very quick. Didn't overheat. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2368.jpeg
    IMG_2368.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2373.jpeg
    IMG_2373.jpeg
    217.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2371.jpeg
    IMG_2371.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2372.jpeg
    IMG_2372.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2374.jpeg
    IMG_2374.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 65
Head gasket or head itself are likely culprits but speculative as not working on the car & yes it should be covered you would think, best to ring them.

Reactions: Cin.
Head gasket or head itself are likely culprits but speculative as not working on the car & yes it should be covered you would think, best to ring them.
Most likely. Thank you gonna be taking the car tomorrow to the dealer and get it checked hope they fix it properly. Car been on sale since May, not sure how long it have the problem.

Reactions: pelhamsdetailing
Yes, definitely call them. Coolant expansion tank uses G12 and should be red with no residue. The milky residue on the oil cap could be condensation if the car was sitting for an extended period of time, but you can rule out with a sniff test on the coolant tank that checks for hydrocarbons if head gasket gone.

Yes, definitely call them. Coolant expansion tank uses G12 and should be red with no residue. The milky residue on the oil cap could be condensation if the car was sitting for an extended period of time, but you can rule out with a sniff test on the coolant tank that checks for hydrocarbons if head gasket gone.
Got an update. Mechanic told me someone had put water in it instead of coolant before so thats why it got brown and sludy. They did a coolant flush. I checked the oil dipstick oil is okay so probably just water in coolant. Not sure how bad is my cooling system now.

Reactions: spartacus 68
If it were me, i would 100% be handing them the keys back for a full refund... theres alot of other cars out there that may be more honest.

If you decide to keep the car, understand that if the car has previously been running on a mix of water and coolant (to create the brown sludge), it will have been prone to overheating, lead to engine corrosion, and lead to premature water pump and heat exchanger failure.

Good luck

goose

If it were me, i would 100% be handing them the keys back for a full refund... theres alot of other cars out there that may be more honest.

If you decide to keep the car, understand that if the car has previously been running on a mix of water and coolant (to create the brown sludge), it will have been prone to overheating, lead to engine corrosion, and lead to premature water pump and heat exchanger failure.

Good luck

goose
Thanks for the reply goose. Ive got it fully checked and they flushed the gunk out. Car has been running fine for the past few weeks. No over heat i always keep an eye on the temps. Ive got an obd to keep an eye on it. Im planning on to keep the car. Mechanic told me that the coolant might have not changed for awhile aswell.

I still think that some thing very very bad/nasty happened to that car/engine to cause that nasty stuff to appear in the coolant!

Reactions: JontyMort