Wireless Android auto

c3ll

Reaction score
Hey peeps. I have wireless car play in my car but lack wireless Android auto. Can it be activated or is it a hardware thing? I asked my dealer about updating the car, but they told me such updates are installed if something is misbehaving, and not by request?

Cheers,
G.

Hey peeps. I have wireless car play in my car but lack wireless Android auto. Can it be activated or is it a hardware thing? I asked my dealer about updating the car, but they told me such updates are installed if something is misbehaving, and not by request?

Cheers,
G.
Hi, mine works so it can be done. I have a Samsung s21. Sorry I can't be sure how I got it all to connect but I can assure you it works.

What audi Bulgaria told me is that they changed the mmi hardware in 21 or 22 i think, which enabled android auto wirelessly... But no hard data on that

Cheers,
G.
I've got a German MY'19 A6 50Tdi and recently updated the MMI software at the dealer to the latest version, but it didn't help me getting wireless Android! What kind of hardware was replaced in your car to be able to get it, could you find that out? Should be the unit housing the wifi module, but replacing the whole MMI system goes a bit too far! Thanks in advance, Rob

Verstuurd vanaf mijn DN2103 met Tapatalk

I've got a German MY'19 A6 50Tdi and recently updated the MMI software at the dealer to the latest version, but it didn't help me getting wireless Android! What kind of hardware was replaced in your car to be able to get it, could you find that out? Should be the unit housing the wifi module, but replacing the whole MMI system goes a bit too far! Thanks in advance, Rob

If you have wired Android Auto on a 2019, then an AAWireless dongle will enable wireless for you. Just plug it into the USB port.

I believe the hardware required for MMI is not something you can just plug into your existing MMI to upgrade it. If you have the hardware, you can enable it, but adding it is easier with a dongle.

I believe wireless Android Auto is only available with cars fitted with the MIB-3 platform which was part of the updates done to the A6 in late 2020 (USB-C sockets in the armrest rather than USB-A is the easiest identifier for MIB-3. A 2019 cr will not be able to have wireless Android Auto unless you the dongle described by 400ixl above

If you have wired Android Auto on a 2019, then an AAWireless dongle will enable wireless for you. Just plug it into the USB port.

I believe the hardware required for MMI is not something you can just plug into your existing MMI to upgrade it. If you have the hardware, you can enable it, but adding it is easier with a dongle.
Did the dongle thing already, but it's not a stable connection! It really sucks to have a modern car with a non functional wireless mode! Recently I stepped into a 2023 A5 .. and no problem at all .. that frustrates!! Specially when an Apple device works wireless with no problems at all in the same car, just unbelievable.

Which dongle did you try? Have heard nightmares about the Carlinkit and some but less so about the MA1, and even less issues with the AAWireless.

I went with the AAWIreless and it has been 100% stable, not failing to connect in seconds or dropping even once in the months I have had it. The latest firmware now supports Apple Carplay as well, but not tried that as of yet.

I've used this one .. not a specific brand from China, but that might just be the problem.
0522d4ae9c902a1594ecb16c8c1e070f.jpg

That is based on the Carlinkit one I believe and known to have issues in retaining connections.

I looked at those when I was deciding and the feedback had lots of issues about dropping connections and lack of support to fix. Decided it was worth spending that bit more to buy the AAwireless which has a much better reputation and an active company behind it (in Europe) bringing regular updates.

Might still decide to buy one as I would like to keep the '19 A6er for a while, thx!