The dreaded P0299

SJon

Reaction score
Urrgh...
I'm generally happy with my car, she's got a lovely interior, but every now and again, the dreaded P0299 (low boost pressure) pops up and the car goes into limp home mode until I clear it. I've got an Android car stereo running "Carscanner" and a Bluetooth OBD2 scanner installed, but because it doesn't do VAGCOM, I can't get all the diagnostic codes, so I'm stuck with the generic P0299. At least I can clear the fault when it appears, but it's beginning to appear a lot, suggesting things are getting worse, or that something is reacting badly to the rain. It doesn't rain much around here, but the check engine light seems to come on far more frequently when it does than when it's dry. It also seems to come on mainly when cruising with the engine at about 2100 rpm. Which is annoying because cruising on the motorway at the speed limit in 6th gear corresponds to almost exactly 2100 RPM. Urgh.

I cleaned the EGR and inlet manifold last year, and yesterday I finally got around to changing the boost pressure sensor. But when I took it onto the motorway, and guess what? Yep...

I know people have spent loads of money on guessing how to fix this, but I don't have loads of money to throw at the problem. Either I find the issue and fix that, or I sell the car and go find something with fewer problems.

I'm mulling over getting a proper VAG-COM application, such as VCDS, OBDEleven or perhaps Carly. OBDEleven seems to have as many diagnostic capabilities as VCDS, it's a hell of a lot cheaper, and there's an Android interface, meaning I can run it on my car stereo and grab a freeze frame if the engine pops while I'm out and about. Is there a significant difference between the two? I don't really want to get rid of my car, I'd rather identify and fix the problem.

Perhaps try and get someone local to you on here, with vcds, to scan the car for you? Good place to start I’d say

My step-son has a mate with one, but getting that together with the fault appearing is just not happening.

I'm really just wondering if OBDEleven is as good as VCDS, price wise, it's about the same as getting the local Audi garage to scan for me.

OBDEleven is not quite as good as VCDS, but it's very close, since it's the only other scanner which will reach all the car's computers, not just the engine. I've been using it for a while. It's also great to set non standard things, like Nordic DRLs on my standard Halogen S-Line Avant and the beep when you lock the doors. I have the app on my HU as well as the phone, which quite cool too. You can do almost all coding too, if you know what you're doing. But as always clearing faults is only a temporary thing if they need proper attention.

OBDEleven is not quite as good as VCDS, but it's very close, since it's the only other scanner which will reach all the car's computers, not just the engine. I've been using it for a while. It's also great to set non standard things, like Nordic DRLs on my standard Halogen S-Line Avant and the beep when you lock the doors. I have the app on my HU as well as the phone, which quite cool too. You can do almost all coding too, if you know what you're doing. But as always clearing faults is only a temporary thing if they need proper attention.
Thanks mate. I think I'm going to invest. Seems like a better idea than chucking money at random parts, and heck of a lot cheaper than VCDS, with the added benefit that I'm not limited to a single VIN number.

Oh well, time to spend some $$$

Reactions: Gmac
Get a Clone of VCDS. They're everywhere

Get a Clone of VCDS. They're everywhere
I did. 10 bucks. The Chinese manufacturer sent me a disk that was supposed to have the software on it, but it was filled with viruses. I'm trying to make things better, not worse

this maybe of more help.

16683/P0299/000665 - Boost Pressure Regulation: Control Range Not Reached​

Possible Symptoms​

• Reduced Power Output
  • Limp Mode

Possible Causes​

• Hoses/Pipes incorrect connected, disconnected or leaking
  • Charger Pressure Control defective
  • Turbocharger faulty
  • Diverter Valve faulty

Possible Solutions​

• Check Hoses/Pipes to/between Components
  • Check / Clean / Replace Charge Pressure Control
  • Check Turbocharger
  • Check Diverter Valve

Special Notes​

• If the Turbocharger is faulty due to mechanical / internal problems or the exhaust system is restricted (typically the Catalyst) this fault may be the end result.

Gasoline​

• When found in 2.0l TFSI:
    • Check Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249), for cracked rubber diaphragm. A new/optimized Valve is available, see parts catalog.
    • When stored in conjunction with misfire codes and/or fuel trim faults see the notes associated with the following faults regarding PCV failure: P2279, P1136, P1297, P1093 and/or P0507.
  • When found in 2009-2012 Audi with CAEB engine:
  • When found in All 2008 to 2015 Volkswagen vehicles with the 2.0L TSI Engines (codes CCTA and CBFA)
    • See Volkswagen Tech Tip 21-10-02.
      • https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/MC-10122981-9999.pdf NHTSA
      • This Tech Tip suggests to check if the wastegate valve and lever has dropped and become stuck/seized causing either an over-boost or under-boost fault. P0299, P0234 or P0236.
      • This concern can be intermittent also clearance between the turbocharger housing and the wastegate lever should be about 3.0mm.

Diesel​

• 2009-2014 VW NAR with 2.0 CR-TDI (CBEA/CJAA), TSB 21-14-03 or TPI 2026771 has several items to inspect and verify to factory design.
  • When found in VW Golf/Jetta (1K): 2.0l CR-TDI (CBEA/CJAA).
    • Verify the mechanical part of the Exhaust Valve Control Module (J883) is not seized or binding.
  • When found in the 1.9 L TDI-PD (BLS):
    • Check vacuum supply from the vacuum reservoir located in the valve cover for leaks. Using a vacuum gauge, wiggle the valve cover and hose connections to check for a leak. The following photo was submitted from a customer working on a 2010 VW Caddy (2K chassis) with this vacuum reservoir problem.

Reactions: B7Tourer
Just a case of working through possible failure points in the diag list and elimination.
best of luck.

Just a case of working through possible failure points in the diag list and elimination.
best of luck.
Thanks mate. It's a B7 (2008) 2.0 TDI so the petrol ones don't apply, not sure if the B8 (2009–2014) apply either, since the later models were when VAG started fiddling the emmissions tests.
From my reseach, the likely suspects are:
  • Faulty Turbo (Hope not, this is an expensive fix)
  • vacuum failure somewhere
  • Faulty boost pressure control valve
  • Faulty boost pressure sensor (I replaced that last week, so ruled that out)
  • Faulty or dirty EGR (I cleaned the EGR last year, it was covered in soot, the fault didn't appear for a while after, but the flap was a bit sticky still. I've a feeling that this may be the culprit, but I don't want to change it until I get a more detailed analysis.)
  • And various pressure converters
Anyways, I've ordered OBDEleven Pro. Hopefully some of the more detailed sensor readings and Freeze Frame will help narrow down the candidates so I don't start chucking money at guess work. My understanding is that OBDEleven can read VAG sensors that a generic OBD cannot, P0299 is just a generic code that I got off a $10 OBDii reader.