Facelift Audi A3 8v 2017 Bulb for stop light and rear light on the left side error

Mixmeister

Reaction score
I have a fault lamp in my Audi A3 2017 facelift, VCDS shows 1 fault found:
14602 - Bulb for stop light and rear light on the left side, the car has been retrofitted with led lights at the back when I bought the car a few years ago, the error came after I changed the battery some time ago, does anyone have an idea of what it could be, i can see alot of cables in the side compartment in the trunk with some philips led control unit, like the ones seen in picture

1 error found:
14602 - Bulb for stop light and rear light on the left side
B133A 15 [009] - Open/Short to positive
Confirmed - Tested since memory wipe
Freezer frame data:
Error status : 00000001
Error priority: 1
Error rate: 254
Reset counter: 222
Driving distance: 151641 km
Date: 2022.07.01
Time: 08:34:36

At 15 status: ON
At 50 status: OFF
CAN-Bus active: ON
Status of brake light switch (HW): ON
Brake light switch status (CAN): ON
OFF: Not activated
Parking lights: Not activated
Automatic light: operated
Low beam: Not activated
Left parking light: Not activated
Right parking light: Not activated
Last wakeup: valid Functelegram
Voltage: 11.5 V
Outside air temperature: 20.5 °C

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 64
Seems like a cheap job retrofit. That is probably a resistor to avoid error and it has possibly failed.
Is it SE Trim/Sport or Sline? Facelift Sline S3 RS3 come with led tail lights with dynamic indicators from factory.

Just noticed the error is from July 2022. Clear it first and rescan to see if same error comes again.

Hi...
Audi A3 8v sport limousine, 2016/17, with led front light, i was told it was a facelift because of the new look, front led and bumper

You need to add photos to confirm. Facelift with LED headlight is default on Sline S3 RS3 along with LED tail lights from factory, Not on SE or Sport.
SE or Sport can probably be opted for that upgrade but not standard from factory for those trims.
Facelift started end 2016 I think but if you add photo it is easy to tell.

You need to add photos to confirm. Facelift with LED headlight is default on Sline S3 RS3 along with LED tail lights from factory, Not on SE or Sport.
SE or Sport can probably be opted for that upgrade but not standard from factory for those trims.
Facelift started end 2016 I think but if you add photo it is easy to tell just got a picture from my wife, its dark outside here, so can't take pictures now
IMG 20230419 225648

show back end also please
i notice you are in Denmark.
those headlights are Xenon Not LED, standard on SE and Sport Trim in UK and tail lights would be Halogen on those models

Sorry your error says

That confirms your car has halogen tail lights or had halogen and coding has not been corrected since, as Halogen outer red bulb acts as Brake as well as standing light. Should be solid blue color on original wire on left for that.
but on LED tail lights Brake is separate bulb and standing light is led strip that runs between inner and outer light sections.

Sorry your error says

That confirms your car has halogen tail lights or had halogen and coding has not been corrected since, as Halogen outer red bulb acts as Brake as well as standing light. Should be solid blue color on original wire on left for that.
but on LED tail lights Brake is separate bulb and standing light is led strip that runs between inner and outer light sections.
So the person who had the car before me and make the retrofit of led light, can that be made without coding? Is that why those philips led control unit are in the back

existing connections can be used with resistor/capacitors to complete the change without coding to ensure lights work fine and no error pops up due to difference in Amps between lights before and after.

neater way to do the change is to add adapter harness and complete coding or chop up original wires, add new connectors, add additional supply wire for dynamic indicators to all 4 lights and also complete coding

existing connections can be used with resistor/capacitors to complete the change without coding to ensure lights work fine and no error pops up due to difference in Amps between lights before and after.

neater way to do the change is to add adapter harness and complete coding or chop up original wires, add new connectors, add additional supply wire for dynamic indicators to all 4 lights and also complete coding
chop up original wires, yes i saw thay yesterday when toke a light out, i have a part number

So do you think i need to find a guide to do some coding, ore add a new philips led control unit,
Depends what state all the wiring is.
Need to see some photos of wires going into lights and original wires of the car going towards tail lights. Also how they got connected into lights.
If car has had tail light change done from Facelift Halogen to PreFaceLift LED then each side should have 2 new wires added that connect between inner and outer lights each side.
Your original wires to tail lights will have color coding them as written in photos below. If you see those and can those going into light connectors then I can send you coding to perform and that way you can remove these resistors completely. You won’t have all of these wires as they are of facelift led that uses more wires than other lights.
If wiring cannot be confirmed then maybe just add a new resistor.
IMG 7435
IMG 7436

ok... some pictures, the Ones from inside the car, is the right side, i didn't have time to remove the Side Trim on left side, i will do that saturday, but the cable job must be the same i think, outside pictures is from left side :)

Attachments

• unnamed 1.jpg
    unnamed 1.jpg
    949.7 KB · Views: 52
  • unnamed 2.jpg
    unnamed 2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 46
  • unnamed 3.jpg
    unnamed 3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 43
  • unnamed 4.jpg
    unnamed 4.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 40
  • unnamed 5.jpg
    unnamed 5.jpg
    828.6 KB · Views: 41
  • unnamed 6.jpg
    unnamed 6.jpg
    790.4 KB · Views: 51
  • unnamed 7.jpg
    unnamed 7.jpg
    962.4 KB · Views: 47
  • unnamed 8.jpg
    unnamed 8.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 51
Yes PreFaceLift LED tail lights
Chunky Black and red are new wires and I think black has the resistor connected so that will be running/parking light supply.
The original wiring is all wrapped in tape as it runs into connector so can’t say if it has been crimped into new connectors or chopped and then connected into prewired connectors.
Do you want to correct it all with fresh connectors, crimp yourself? You will need wire stripper crimping tools and I can forward rest of info?
You can just add resistor but black wire should not come up as Brake light message so i don’t think it is that resistor giving you error unless there are other smaller resistors in other connections that are wrapped under tape or heat wrap.
Also IF that chunky wire is single strand thick normal electrical wire it will snap over time due to boot lid movement. So maybe change that to multistrand automotive cable. It should be 0.5mmSquare core cable.
Are all lights working fine as coming On Off as they should?

Sorry looked through photos again and it seems purple wire/brown wire is connected to black cable one end and red cable other end. Purple going to black then resistor then to red???? I am lost
Purple/Brown wire should be indicator on the right going to outer light and I dont think it needs resistor. So I am very confused as to what is going on.

Yes all lights working fine, so brown wire is for running/break light, on halogen light ?

Blue on left is Brake as well as Running light for the Halogen tail light as bulb does two jobs
But on LED Brake is a different section and Running light is long strip that runs between inner and outer, So for this change of taillight Blue wire needs resistor to cut out low wattage that belongs to Running Light and only allow Brake which is max power

on the right that Brake and Running light function comes from Brown/Green wire, when you look closely you will see most wires have 2 colors

Ok what do you think i should do, did he forget to tell the car it has led now, ore can that not be done. I was thinking about getting the dynamic in the back at one point. it's not worth the price i think ,

This is what on the left side,

Attachments

• DSC_0166.JPG
    DSC_0166.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • DSC_0167.JPG
    DSC_0167.JPG
    799.7 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0168.JPG
    DSC_0168.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • DSC_0169.JPG
    DSC_0169.JPG
    912.9 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_0170.JPG
    DSC_0170.JPG
    637.7 KB · Views: 33
the big black box on picture 1 is for the trailer/CAN, the small herth buss 75613121 relay, is were the red cables from the light are conneted

I'm thinking of pulling it all out, and then coding the lights as led lights. My question is, if i need new wire harness, do i need to buy halogen to led harness, ore led to led ?

I'm thinking of pulling it all out, and then coding the lights as led lights. My question is, if i need new wire harness, do i need to buy halogen to led harness, ore led to led ?
I dont think you have any original connectors left in the car. As you said car had Halogen originally. They have been cut out and new connectors added with new wires etc
So harness option will not work as that is designed to accept original connector that you car doesn’t have anymore
If original wires look long enough then you are best redoing the connectors for led light.
Maybe grab new connectors pins seals or buy connector with repair wires and connect upto factory wiring.
black and red wires added as part of change, if they are too chunky they might not pin in connector pin so you either change wire or add thinner wire
Audi use 0.5mmSquare multistrand copper wire for tail lights

Reactions: Mixmeister
Ok.... I still need coding right? Do you by any change have the coding. What if i try to do the coding before i do anything, i might get rid of the fault light

Ye I can send coding for change to PreFaceLift LED. You should keep backup of current coding so you can reverse changes if there are any issues.