Leak From Rear Of The Car?

Ujw

Reaction score
2017 A4 1.4 Sport TFSI (50k miles)

Anything to be worried about? I'm not sure if it's from the exhaust.

Thanks, any advice would be great

Attachments

• IMG_8661.jpg
    IMG_8661.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_8659.jpg
    IMG_8659.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_8658.jpg
    IMG_8658.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_8655.jpg
    IMG_8655.jpg
    997.7 KB · Views: 74
Once the car is off the drive, does it dry without staining your lock-block?

No error lights in the car to rule out low brake fluid. Dip your finger in, definitely not petrol? It could be water, it’s amazing after a night of rain where water can collect in the bulkhead scuttle or from engine tray, etc. Looks to be too much just for condensation in the exhaust system.

If in doubt, get a light under the car once it’s jacked up. Anything leaking will tend to travel and leave a mark on the underbody.

Definitely not water, it's been there for a few days now, even the rain hasn't done anything.
Seems like the driveway is stained from it.
Don't think it's petrol, don't know if it's oil

(got some pictures to upload in a sec)

Last edited:
Got a few more pics (no idea what that part is, but seems to be stained)

Attachments

• leak.jpg
    leak.jpg
    506.4 KB · Views: 78
  • leak2.jpg
    leak2.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 77
  • leak3.jpg
    leak3.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 80
  • leak4.jpg
    leak4.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 73
  • leak.jpg
    leak.jpg
    506.4 KB · Views: 82
What’s in the boot? Look at that last picture, it looks like there’s a drip on the rubber grommet. It’s a TFSI so that rules out TDI AdBlue failure. The exhaust tip does look like there’s lot of carbon build up. If it was piston rings that might explain oil and unburnt petrol, but why the leak underneath?

It’s not a quattro? Rear diff would be there, but that’s an oil if it was leaking.

Few more pics with one closer towards the centre of the car (seems like nothing is stained there)
What could that yellowy substance be?

Attachments

• leak7.jpg
    leak7.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Further up car.jpg
    Further up car.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 68
  • leak8.jpg
    leak8.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 66
Is the battery in the boot of the 1.4?

If you spray water on the stain on the drive, does it bead or not? Is it definitely from your car or has someone parked there while you were out? Park on a big sheet of cardboard and see if you get any fresh leaking.

Is the battery in the boot of the 1.4?

If you spray water on the stain on the drive, does it bead or not? Is it definitely from your car or has someone parked there while you were out? Park on a big sheet of cardboard and see if you get any fresh leaking.
Will check if it beads. Rain water doesn't seem to wash it off
Defo from my car.

Hello, it does not bead. See I'm fairly unlucky with cars lol so my Cruze also has a leak.
I decided to pour water over both the leaks to see what happens.
The one with the beading is the Cruze, the one without is the Audi.
Does this mean it's not oil?
Thanks,

Attachments

• Cruze.jpg
    Cruze.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Audi.jpg
    Audi.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 49
If the water doesn't bead then it's not going to be engine oil, unless most has been absorbed into the driveway. Brake fluid can absorb water so that could be a possibility, maybe a damaged line. Worth checking fluid levels in the reservoir, in fact you should probably check and keep an eye on all levels. Other than that, does it smell of anything? Could be fuel but water would bead and you'd probably have smelt petrol by now. Is the stain on the drive getting worse? If it was me I'd be getting it to my nearest workshop for someone to give it a quick visual check to be on the safe side.