Creaking Noise - Front of Car

driver_tim

Reaction score
I purchased a 2016 A4 Avant earlier this year, and for the entire time I've owned it have experienced a creaking noise coming from somewhere on the offside front of the car. To cut a very long story short it has had numerous suspension components replaced along with both front wheel bearings, but the problem has not gone away. On the most recent occasion I picked it up from the dealer this morning and did really quite a long test drive which revealed no issues, but it then started again later on. So far everything has been covered under the Audi extended warranty but I am sceptical how much longer this will be the case and it is also becoming very disruptive with the car being in the garage so much. It is very hard to tell exactly where the noise is coming from but I am starting to wonder if it is something inside the cabin, potentially around the pedal box area. This could explain why the noise wasn't happening for some this morning - if metal components were taking some time to heat up.

There are numerous threads on here regarding creaks from the rear but few on creaks from the front - https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/375866/ is the only one I can see that is possibly the same issue. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Yeah I have the same. 2016 early B9 (which is actually still classed as a B8.5 according to my log book and weight plate!)
Been the garage numerous times, had components replaced but nothing resolved it. Passed its most recent MOT as well. I’m just living with it now which is less than ideal.
Have to say, this is the worst car I’ve ever owned. First time Audi and probably last. It’s has so many things go wrong with it. I’m seriously regretting buying it as I’ve probably spent 4/5k replacing parts that shouldn’t fail on a car of this make.
Good luck with solving it though, and if you do solve it let me know what it was!

No experience of the B9 set-up (although I now own one), but it won't be that different to the B8 with multi-link suspension. With suspension it's best to do everything in pairs if swapping out, but knowing Audi they don't do what they preach and will replace single components under warranty. Whip the wheel off. Is the spring sitting square in the seat cup? Any deterioration of the rubber cup? Any weeping on the strut?

Usual culprits are top arms if it develops into a clunk, ARB links that connect to lower arms and the ARB bushes themselves. Meyle HD kit is very good, but suspect is probably Lemforder if still original (rebadged as Audi). You could try a silicone spray to identify, but you will need to replace. That pretty much leaves the lower arms and the top mounts.

Following the suspension work the car now goes very nicely over bumps, however I have some residual noise which I am pretty sure is coming from the piece of trim at the top of the pedal box. This is shown in the attached photo and is loose and flapping around. Can anyone tell me how it should be secured?

I got a creak from front left foot well. There is a tpi effecting all builds before August 2017.

Cheers

Matt

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk