Continental Contisport tyres

Cent

Reaction score
Hi,

as my 45tfsie is on a lease, they request one of 3 tyres are fitted. Goodyear (cant remember which, continental contisport and another i cant remember.
Anyone else have these? They are near the wear limit but for the past few months they have been shocking, easily lose grip when wet and even in dry they dont fill me with confidence when driving a bit spirited. If i were to drive it hard it would soon be game over.
I know the car isnt renown for its handling but when you see transit vans going through twisties better it makes me wonder

Oh, you remind me on a good point, I haven't actually checked my lease conditions (tyre wise). I would assume they would ask for GY Assymetric or Efficientgrip Performance, and possibly Bridgestone Turranza and or Pirelli P7s (which is what I have on my A3 atm from factory). As it's PHEV, assuming would be XL tyre spec. Although I have seen more recent A3s come with (I think) Nexen tyres. What PSIs are they at? When cold i noticed it has dropped by 3-4 PSI, even though I recently topped it up, albeit it was a much warmer day then. Not sure if that's related to grip though, though logic suggests, the lower the PSI (to a point) the better grip... did you rotate them at the 6k miles mark at all?

The car came with bridgestones and they were excellent. Being new i did thrash it a bit much and got 6k miles out of them. And thats when i got told it has to be one of 3…and the bridgestones not being one of them

That's interesting i just had four new Bridgestones fitted on a lease car my package includes premium tyres although it is a 35 TDI
The ATS tyre fitter said Bridgestones are rubbish and i would be better off with Michelin or similar
I remember years ago on an XR4X4 going from Bridgestones to another brand cannot remember which, and it was awful to drive until i got used to it again, it seemed to of lost the stiffness, possibly the sidewall was stiffer on Bridgestones? that.s why i have stuck with the same as i had and liked the feel of.
Hopefully they are not too different.

Being new i did thrash it a bit much and got 6k miles out of them. And thats when i got told it has to be one of 3…and the bridgestones not being one of them
oh that's strange, it doesn't 'allow' you to replace the tyres with the brand it came from the factory with.....I've done 6.5k on mine, still have plenty of tread left, at least 5+ mm. They are P7 C2s though, and it's a way lighter 1.0 engine with MHEV.

That's interesting i just had four new Bridgestones fitted on a lease car my package includes premium tyres although it is a 35 TDI
The ATS tyre fitter said Bridgestones are rubbish and i would be better off with Michelin or similar
I remember years ago on an XR4X4 going from Bridgestones to another brand cannot remember which, and it was awful to drive until i got used to it again, it seemed to of lost the stiffness, possibly the sidewall was stiffer on Bridgestones? that.s why i have stuck with the same as i had and liked the feel of.
Hopefully they are not too different.

The fitter was right. Bridgestone Potenza or Turanza, same story: Rock hard compound, noisy, inflexible, poor traction and turn in grip. On a number of cars I have bought new, I have looked at the sidewall in dismay at being unlucky enough to have had them fitted and swapped them out.

On my old Polo GTI+, Bridgestone Turanza T005, the front axle tramping was unbearable with only 40% throttle in the dry and 20% in the wet. Swapped to Michelin PS4 and it was almost impossible to induce tramping. Unbearable tramping on 2 Golf GTDs with Bridgestone Potenza too - swapped out and it's like having a different (far better) car. 4WD hides the traction issues well but even so, when I got a Golf R new and it came with Bridgestone Potenza RE050A, it was a bit twitchy in very mild Winter conditions (+10C). Changed to Michelin PSS and the car was transformed. The only thing Bridgestone have going for them is that they're extremely hard wearing. Bear in mind though that the OEM version they put in factory cars only comes with 5.9mm of tread, so they won't last that long - like getting a new printer with those tiny "trial sized" cartridges. Buy Goodyear Asy Eagle F1 or Michelin Pilot Sport 4 or 5 and you can't go wrong.

Reactions: helicopter_red
The fitter was right. Bridgestone Potenza or Turanza, same story: Rock hard compound, noisy, inflexible, poor traction and turn in grip. On a number of cars I have bought new, I have looked at the sidewall in dismay at being unlucky enough to have had them fitted and swapped them out.

On my old Polo GTI+, Bridgestone Turanza T005, the front axle tramping was unbearable with only 40% throttle in the dry and 20% in the wet. Swapped to Michelin PS4 and it was almost impossible to induce tramping. Unbearable tramping on 2 Golf GTDs with Bridgestone Potenza too - swapped out and it's like having a different (far better) car. 4WD hides the traction issues well but even so, when I got a Golf R new and it came with Bridgestone Potenza RE050A, it was a bit twitchy in very mild Winter conditions (+10C). Changed to Michelin PSS and the car was transformed. The only thing Bridgestone have going for them is that they're extremely hard wearing. Bear in mind though that the OEM version they put in factory cars only comes with 5.9mm of tread, so they won't last that long - like getting a new printer with those tiny "trial sized" cartridges. Buy Goodyear Asy Eagle F1 or Michelin Pilot Sport 4 or 5 and you can't go wrong.
Oh guess i will have to wait another year then before trying something else. They are a bit noisy so will probably try Michelin next time.

Had both fronts replaced, requested not contisports and would like bridgestones or michalin if lease company allows.
Got a call to say all done.
contis again, all they had in the size out of the 3 allowed. Which can change over time.
Atm, still contis and the others are goodyear and dunlop. So i guess contis are the better out of the 3