Rear Resonator Deletes

HulkRS3

Kyalami RS3 Saloon
Reaction score
The 8Y has two rear resonators. This is what an otherwise stock car sounds like with them removed. Note, the car in the video is also an OPF car, just with the resonators removed. It does seem unleash a bit of the rawness from the 5pot

Reactions: rngDeadeye
Nice, seems to have more impact that the midpipe resonator delete. Wonder if it creates any droning though

I haven't been able to watch the videos yet so this might be completely wrong once I look at them, but I'll give my experience.

In the past if a car has had a small can like that it's almost certainly a straight section with some perforated metal and sound dampening material around the flow path of the gas (or has minimal baffling instead), the main purpose being to remove certain frequencies in the lower RPM range. Basically to stop drone between something like 1500-2500 rpm, then once the higher RPMs are reached the gas will flow quicker through them and provide less deadening.

So in the past I've heard an increase in sound up to 3000 RPM or so when they're removed, but beyond that (give or take a few RPM depending on the engine) there's no massive difference in overall sound/volume. And it just introduced the frequencies back in that they initially put them there to remove, so created drone.

I haven't been able to watch the videos yet so this might be completely wrong once I look at them, but I'll give my experience.

In the past if a car has had a small can like that it's almost certainly a straight section with some perforated metal and sound dampening material around the flow path of the gas (or has minimal baffling instead), the main purpose being to remove certain frequencies in the lower RPM range. Basically to stop drone between something like 1500-2500 rpm, then once the higher RPMs are reached the gas will flow quicker through them and provide less deadening.

So in the past I've heard an increase in sound up to 3000 RPM or so when they're removed, but beyond that (give or take a few RPM depending on the engine) there's no massive difference in overall sound/volume. And it just introduced the frequencies back in that they initially put them there to remove, so created drone.
It's worth listening to them, and in some cars it does incur some droning. But anyone who was used to the 8Vs when they sounded their best wont be worried about any drone. I usually fit a resonator delete on all my cars and unless you specific sit in the drone zone constantly it's not a problem.

Reactions: Daggerit
Hard to tell on YouTube but it does sound better, I’ve got my car booked in for some exhaust work on March

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to tell on YouTube but it does sound better, I’ve got my car booked in for some exhaust work on March

*in March

The 8Y has two rear resonators. This is what an otherwise stock car sounds like with them removed. Note, the car in the video is also an OPF car, just with the resonators removed. It does seem unleash a bit of the rawness from the 5pot

View attachment 263549

Hmmm, sounds almost too good to be an OPF car - happy to be wrong though.
Where did you get the videos?

Reactions: garethdj
The car in the 2nd video is a manual transmission car, USA car? I thought they didnt have the OPF's ?

Hmmm, sounds almost too good to be an OPF car - happy to be wrong though.
Where did you get the videos?
It's a friends car and definitely OPF - non OPF cars don't sound like that.

The car in the 2nd video is a manual transmission car, USA car? I thought they didnt have the OPF's ?
It's not a manual, they're not made in manual anywhere.

To be perfectly honest, I don't think that it's much different than mine when I open the flaps fully with the ASR module.

As much as I'd like some extra character I'm going to wait for the ECU to be cracked so I can run an OPF delete and sports cat section with the standard RS Performance exhaust from there back and I think that'll be the sweet spot for me. And my neighbors. :)

Reactions: garethdj
It's not a manual, they're not made in manual anywhere.
I always believed that they have never made a manual TX RS3, just his gear change in the video from 1st-2nd sounded very manual TX :)

As time and mileage is increasing I find that 'sometimes' at Motorway type cruise speeds I feel the need to close the exhaust valves (ASR) and let the ecu open them as required, the exhaust is certainly getting louder with added miles

• Haha
Reactions: HulkRS3 and Daggerit
I always believed that they have never made a manual TX RS3, just his gear change in the video from 1st-2nd sounded very manual TX :)

As time and mileage is increasing I find that 'sometimes' at Motorway type cruise speeds I feel the need to close the exhaust valves (ASR) and let the ecu open them as required, the exhaust is certainly getting louder with added miles
I agree about the exhaust. If I start the car in RS Performance mode I can now get pops depending on how hot the system already is, and it definitely didn't do that originally. I've noticed that with the flaps open I also sometimes get burbles on over-run in comfort/efficiency modes when just driving around slowly. Just getting rid of the OPFs would make these cars sound great I think.

Reactions: Mike.46
I had my exhaust guy removed the whole rear exhaust section and replaced it with a single twin 2.5" to 3" to twin 2.5" exit straight pipe that just slides up to the front exhaust section. OPF/Cat still in place but no resonators or muffler. I sorted out the exhaust motors with a bracket that lets them open and close as per-usual and tied them up again]st the chassis. Works nicely and the ECU is happy thinking it's opening and closing the flaps as per normal. Loving the exhaust note now. Idle volume is barely louder to stock but the rest of the time it actually sounds like an RS should.

Bit of wind noise but here is a vid, hopefully the link works:
Cold start
Launch

Reactions: LayZ_Pz, Mike.46 and garethdj
I had my exhaust guy removed the whole rear exhaust section and replaced it with a single twin 2.5" to 3" to twin 2.5" exit straight pipe that just slides up to the front exhaust section. OPF/Cat still in place but no resonators or muffler. I sorted out the exhaust motors with a bracket that lets them open and close as per-usual and tied them up again]st the chassis. Works nicely and the ECU is happy thinking it's opening and closing the flaps as per normal. Loving the exhaust note now. Idle volume is barely louder to stock but the rest of the time it actually sounds like an RS should.

Cold start
Launch

Can’t load the vids
428c43d07496424de0b59faf1781f6c9.jpg

Can’t load the vids
428c43d07496424de0b59faf1781f6c9.jpg

Just a link to google drive, not sure why it's not working. Had a look and on desktop you may need to click in the corner of the embedded video where it says "pop out".
this is the link, hopefully this works?
""
""

or try Dropbox?

Last edited:
This sound sick, can you take a picture of the setup underneath?

This sound sick, can you take a picture of the setup underneath?
I'm due back in my mates exhaust shop to use his hoist for a couple of things I want to do so I'll sort out some pics then.

Reactions: LayZ_Pz

Cold start
Launch

Any pictures of the brackets that you made?
Looking to do the same thing most likely!

Any pictures of the brackets that you made?
Looking to do the same thing most likely!
I only have a picture of the exhaust before it was welded up so this isn't the finished exhaust.
I don't have pics of the brackets I made up but what I did was cut the housings of an VW exhaust with flap control that was scrap and made the centre hole a bit larger as the RS3 flap motor is a few mm larger in diameter. Then I welded a stop (where red circle is in pic) so that the motor senses the resistance when in open and closed mode. AWE
IMG 3636
Screenshot 2023 02 17 at 94633 am
Screenshot 2023 02 17 at 94621 am
sell a "simulator" bracket but I would have been waiting too long for them and it wasn't hard for me to make up. Not sure if this "simulator bracket thingy is needed because I have heard people are just leaving the motors plugged in without anything. When I tried it this way without bracket VCDS showed an error on scan (no CEL) that I could clear, with the brackets, no error.

There is no drone with the OPF/cats in place and it's not too loud either however there is a small resonance at certain RPM that if it bothers you you may want to consider keeping a resonator somewhere on the exhaust.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: rngDeadeye, WilsonRS and Mike.46
I only have a picture of the exhaust before it was welded up so this isn't the finished exhaust.
I don't have pics of the brackets I made up but what I did was cut the housings of an VW exhaust with flap control that was scrap and made the centre hole a bit larger as the RS3 flap motor is a few mm larger in diameter. Then I welded a stop (where red circle is in pic) so that the motor senses the resistance when in open and closed mode. AWE View attachment 264338View attachment 264339View attachment 264340sell a "simulator" bracket but I would have been waiting too long for them and it wasn't hard for me to make up. Not sure if this "simulator bracket thingy is needed because I have heard people are just leaving the motors plugged in without anything. When I tried it this way without bracket VCDS showed an error on scan (no CEL) that I could clear, with the brackets, no error.

There is no drone with the OPF/cats in place and it's not too loud either however there is a small resonance at certain RPM that if it bothers you you may want to consider keeping a resonator somewhere on the exhaust.

Hope this helps.
Bro the pictures attached, is that the “simulator bracket”?

Bro the pictures attached, is that the “simulator bracket”?
Yeah, it attaches to the motors which can be left plugged in and tucked away under the car. I know there was testing on some blanked harness plugs with resistors, not sure how that's going or if manages to fool the ECU.