Re-map/ECU problems!

Bezuls

Reaction score
Hello all, I’ve recently purchased a b5 s4 and I’ve got a slight issue which I’m hoping someone could help with! The car came re-mapped and is by-passing the MAF sensor. When you plug the MAF sensor in the car runs like a bag of is it possible to for anyone (main dealer, tuner, garage) to remove the map and set it back to factory settings? The guy I bought it off also had the map and doesn’t know who mapped it before he had it so I can’t take it back to the original re-mapper! (UK based)

Hello all, I’ve recently purchased a b5 s4 and I’ve got a slight issue which I’m hoping someone could help with! The car came re-mapped and is by-passing the MAF sensor. When you plug the MAF sensor in the car runs like a bag of is it possible to for anyone (main dealer, tuner, garage) to remove the map and set it back to factory settings? The guy I bought it off also had the map and doesn’t know who mapped it before he had it so I can’t take it back to the original re-mapper! (UK based)
Where are you in the UK?. I believe the ECU is an ME7.1 so can be programmed via the OBD. It's possible the engine has had other mods that you may not be aware of so You would want to take the car to somebody who has mapped these before. A main dealer is absolutely the last place I would take it.

Where are you in the UK?. I believe the ECU is an ME7.1 so can be programmed via the OBD. It's possible the engine has had other mods that you may not be aware of so You would want to take the car to somebody who has mapped these before. A main dealer is absolutely the last place I would take it.
Hi, im based in the NW. you’re correct it is a ME7.1 why would you not recommend taking it to a main dealer? Being 23 years old I doubt it has any warranty left! Do you know if a tuner would be able to wipe whatever is currently on the ecu and either restore to factory or put their own tune on?

Hi, im based in the NW. you’re correct it is a ME7.1 why would you not recommend taking it to a main dealer? Being 23 years old I doubt it has any warranty left! Do you know if a tuner would be able to wipe whatever is currently on the ecu and either restore to factory or put their own tune on?
A tuner would be able to restore a stock map, The main dealers should be able to restore a stock map but I am not sure how much that would cost you and if there was any issues when the stock map was restored then it could get very expensive. I am surprised the MAF is still in place if the car is running MAFless . The idea of going MAFless is to remove the restriction and usually the turbos have been upgraded and the MAF can get maxed out.
It's possible the MAF is faulty and disconnecting it the car switches to Alpha N mapping so calculates airflow based on throttle position RPM and boost. In the NW area you could try contacting Rick at Unicorn Motor Developments in Stockport. He has mapped many of these over the years , unfortunately I am not sure if he still works on older cars.
https://www.facebook.com/UnicornMotorDevelopments
Awesome GTI may be able to help you out, they are in Manchester.

Reactions: Bezuls
A tuner would be able to restore a stock map, The main dealers should be able to restore a stock map but I am not sure how much that would cost you and if there was any issues when the stock map was restored then it could get very expensive. I am surprised the MAF is still in place if the car is running MAFless . The idea of going MAFless is to remove the restriction and usually the turbos have been upgraded and the MAF can get maxed out.
It's possible the MAF is faulty and disconnecting it the car switches to Alpha N mapping so calculates airflow based on throttle position RPM and boost. In the NW area you could try contacting Rick at Unicorn Motor Developments in Stockport. He has mapped many of these over the years , unfortunately I am not sure if he still works on older cars.
https://www.facebook.com/UnicornMotorDevelopments
Awesome GTI may be able to help you out, they are in Manchester.
This is great thank you very much. I’ll give both a ring and see where I get up to with them. I appreciate your help and advice!

Reactions: desertstorm