Cruise control retrofit/ Horn issue

Alfin425

Reaction score
Hello all,
I’m currently driving an A3 8P 1.6 special edition (2005 reg) I believe it is the BGU engine.
I decided to retrofit it with a MFSW and cruise control, following a guide I found online I was able to install the control stalk and the steering wheel, but the issues have arisen from the control unit. I attempted to fit the unit 8P0953549F. The MFSW worked but the power steering seemed to cut out and I got the error code 00778 “steering angle sensor: no or incorrect basic settings”. And the management light for ESP and steering wheel came up. No amount of coding with OBD11 seemed to fix it, so I just put the original unit back in and so the CC and MFSW aren’t functional.
Now a related issue, since I’ve had the car the horn has never worked, it never really bothered me as I thought for the MOT I could wire a button up for the horn if the wiring through the steering column is kaput. But when I put the new control unit in, the horn works, indicating the issue lies in the original control unit. To attempt to fix it quickly before a long trip I was going on, I replaced the control unit with one with the same parts code (1K0953549E). When I did this, the same issue arose with the steering angle sensor and the management lights.
Is there some coding I should be doing that I’m missing? I have OBD11 so I am able to code a little.
I have a suspicion that it may be related to the squib perhaps being the wrong part as I suspect the previous owner was a tinkerer like me and messed around with the steering wheel as all the warranty stickers were already peeled back.
Sorry for the dump, I really hope someone can give me some advice, even if it is just getting the horn working.
thanks in advance