S3 smoke

Technikdreams

Reaction score
I have a 2017 s3 facelift… can anybody help with my problem… the car puffs white smoke on start up, only after it’s been standing after a run out, never does it from a cold start, and no smoke while running or hard acceleration.

I’ve replaced the turbo with an uprated unit, as I was told this was the problem, but still the same issue, any advice would be appreciated.

F75E169A 4B16 4A34 BFC1 017D1031AABD

The turbo is a stage 0, with just uprated internals , compressor wheel etc same as stock..
I change the turbo as I was told the smoke was due to it failing, obviously not as it’s not cured the problem.

Duplicate thread - you have already posted in the other thread?

Updated internals usually means it's a more powerful turbo, so I'm little confused.

Duplicate thread - you have already posted in the other thread?

This is my first post on this forum

Updated internals usually means it's a more powerful turbo, so I'm little confused.

No. Ive seen these available with a stronger shaft and better thrust bearing but otherwise they are the same spec. In theory a like for like replacement with no remap needed or performance benefit as standard, but one would assume it means it could potentially be remapped to run a bit more boost than a stock turbo because of the stronger shaft (potential weak point?). However, I dont entirely know for certain. It is something I have seen but not looked into further just yet.

So you are running a dev turbo ? If not give the suppliers a shout.